Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

amazing.....no snow lol

Posted

I didn't think south wales was due to get any snow over night, well im sure I saw that on forcast and not much in the way of snow for next day or two either, north and mid wales looked like they was going to get some snow and sounds like they did so to be fair from what  saw on tv they seem to have got it right.

• Like 2

Posted

South Wales was forecast snow overnight and parts of it were under a warning.

Monday's low now looks like staying out in the Atlantic so yet another missed opportunity for us. With the breakdown of the "cold" spell looking like next weekend and no sign of snow before that - the week ahead looks bone dry for most areas - it's looking like February and therefore the winter could pass by without any major snow events.

Bar the modest fall in January 2013, we haven't seen anything significant since December 2010. Even the winters of the late 90s and 2000s were better than this.

Posted

South Wales was forecast snow overnight and parts of it were under a warning.

Monday's low now looks like staying out in the Atlantic so yet another missed opportunity for us. With the breakdown of the "cold" spell looking like next weekend and no sign of snow before that - the week ahead looks bone dry for most areas - it's looking like February and therefore the winter could pass by without any major snow events.

Bar the modest fall in January 2013, we haven't seen anything significant since December 2010. Even the winters of the late 90s and 2000s were better than this.

Absolutely Jack as I told you we have seen no significant snowfall ourselves since 2010. Yesterday we did have about 15 minutes of heavy snow but that did not settle and dwindled away to nothing! Hopefully METO will forecast a drought tomorrow and get it totally wrong - and we get blizzards LOL ;)

Edited by worldairgroup
  • Like 1

Posted

You looking forward to spring and summer, WAG?

I think it's fair to say that despite the mediocrity of our recent winters, the last two summers and most recent springs have seen long spells of sunny, hot/warm weather. Indeed, I remember May, June and July last year being warm if not hot pretty much all the way through.

• Like 1

Posted

You looking forward to spring and summer, WAG?

I think it's fair to say that despite the mediocrity of our recent winters, the last two summers and most recent springs have seen long spells of sunny, hot/warm weather. Indeed, I remember May, June and July last year being warm if not hot pretty much all the way through.

Oh gosh nope! I am not a summer person at all. I travel abroad quite a lot so get my fair bit of sunny weather. I have got a flight booked from a client (expedition documentary) for end of February in the North Pole, Yellowknife, which I am really looking forward to. I was last there in 1997 and amazing place. SO I think that will be my fair share of cold and snow for this year LOL.

Posted

An expedition you say?

I'm going to the Himalayas (well, South Asia in general: India, Nepal, Tibet including Everest Base Camp, and Bangladesh) in October/November and Papua New Guinea in 2016.

It sounds like you have my dream job!

• Like 1

Posted

Ice pellets falling here and its warmed up to 0.4C. Slow thaw beginning.

About 10cm of lying slow, with some large drifts around. Below 200m ASL its mostly green around here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Wow lots of doom and gloom :(

Has tonight been written off then?

Posted

An expedition you say?

I'm going to the Himalayas (well, South Asia in general: India, Nepal, Tibet including Everest Base Camp, and Bangladesh) in October/November and Papua New Guinea in 2016.

It sounds like you have my dream job!

Excellent, we recently did some back up flights for Everest base camp, although I did not actually go - I am just providing the flights to Canada with helicopter backup. But I am tagging along to make sure everything works out right (and cause I love the cold and snow LOL)

EDIT: Its an expedition documentary being made for Discovery channel cannot say too much because its not going to air until end of summer. But I surely will be posting photos and videos and hope I can witness Northern Lights Aurora again - amazing.

Edited by worldairgroup

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Gales - active weather!!!

Wow lots of doom and gloom :(

Has tonight been written off then?

Looking at the Beeb there is possibility of some snow showers tonight coming through Wales and tomorrow. The doom and gloom is possibly because for the majority none of this has been spectacular and looking at the MOD thread this morning it seems the next week will be cold with snow showers on coasts but mainly dry which is not that appealing in any shape or form for people looking for snow. 

Anyway, I am sure none of this is set in stone and lets hope it progresses to something really cold and snowy.

• Like 1

Posted

Hi,

Just a quick hello, recently joined the forums, been present on other forums for a number of years (UKWW) but liking the look of this place. 

Anyhow, I am up in NE Wales, moved back here in May last year having moved from South Wales (Newport) and recently set up my station (link in Sig).

Bit of a weather follower, rather than studier, like my stats but don't quick understand all the physics of it, also into my weather photography.

• Like 3

Posted

Hi,

Just a quick hello, recently joined the forums, been present on other forums for a number of years (UKWW) but liking the look of this place. 

Anyhow, I am up in NE Wales, moved back here in May last year having moved from South Wales (Newport) and recently set up my station (link in Sig).

Bit of a weather follower, rather than studier, like my stats but don't quick understand all the physics of it, also into my weather photography.

Welcome Seedubs. This regional thread is quite friendly and quite informative. Some of those photographs at some stage might be interesting!

Try and put your location etc in your profile....... happy posting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

When looking at the BBC forecast it shows rain over majority of wales for the following few days although they said snow showers across windward coasts.. I'm.intrigued

Posted

When looking at the BBC forecast it shows rain over majority of wales for the following few days although they said snow showers across windward coasts.. I'm.intrigued

That must have changed since this morning then. I'm certainly not intrigued - more disappointed that this cold period could become milder!

Upgrades hopefully to come although MOD thread is none too exciting at the moment.

Edited by Fujita scale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Weather warnings still out at the mo for sat into sun for snow so still a chance but it hasn't been updated since yesterday.

Posted

Weather warnings still out at the mo for sat into sun for snow so still a chance but it hasn't been updated since yesterday.

They are sending out updates now - I have just seen a couple - but snow warnings for weekend are more North Wales Saturday - then West Wales/Southern extent

Posted

The colder air will be coming back in tonight not as cold as yesterday,but sunday will be cold enough for snow down to sea level.

http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/gfs.php?inv=0&plot=850&region=eu&t=60h

Looking like a 10 day cold spell overall marginal half of that time.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Oh no! What's happened since I left this morning :( don't believe it! Everyone's down,that could only mean one thing, no snow:(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Oh no! What's happened since I left this morning :( don't believe it! Everyone's down,that could only mean one thing, no snow:(

Those who've had snow shouldn't gripe too much....after all they have had some. It's those of us who've so far had Jack who have griping priveleges.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Met Office have updated and there's still warnings in place. Some may be in for a pleasant surprise.

post-18830-0-14549800-1422624984_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

And this from UK weather.

It's not over just yet. :)

post-18830-0-13762500-1422625263_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

And this from UK weather.

It's not over just yet. :)

That will do for me,threat of our beloved streamers

A very cold airmass will continue to spread southwards from Scotland and Northern Ireland across the remainder of the UK on Sunday accompanied by strong winds. Frequent showers are likely to form in this airmass, primarily affecting northern parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland but also running along eastern and western coastal districts of England and Wales at times. With the cold air snow is likely to accumulate even to low levels wherever showers affect. Periods of enhanced snowfall are possible within this general flow, but details of these are very uncertain at this time. As such this Alert is likely to be updated and refined in the coming days. There is the potential for disruption throughout this period due to the accumulating snow and ice but also with temporary blizzard conditions leading to very difficult drivin
Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

That will do for me,threat of our beloved streamers

A very cold airmass will continue to spread southwards from Scotland and Northern Ireland across the remainder of the UK on Sunday accompanied by strong winds. Frequent showers are likely to form in this airmass, primarily affecting northern parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland but also running along eastern and western coastal districts of England and Wales at times. With the cold air snow is likely to accumulate even to low levels wherever showers affect. Periods of enhanced snowfall are possible within this general flow, but details of these are very uncertain at this time. As such this Alert is likely to be updated and refined in the coming days. There is the potential for disruption throughout this period due to the accumulating snow and ice but also with temporary blizzard conditions leading to very difficult drivin

It sounds like there's still everything to play for. :)

Edited by J10