Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

This could be one to watch Jo Farrow just mentioned the track across ireland crossing over the irish sea later hitting wales, but i beleive the snow will settle above 150m in land from the coast where here will be a sleety mix but mostly rain unless we get a wrap around of the colder air currently over the country this could be the saving grace for coastal areas or most likely rain otherwise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Latest from the met for tonight: 'A small, but vigorous area of low pressure will move south down the Irish Sea to affect southwestern parts of England and Wales. Strong winds will develop along the southern flank of the depression. The strongest winds are expected to be along coasts exposed to the northwest, over high ground and also near heavy showers. The showers will be a wintry mix of rain, sleet and snow; snow primarily over higher ground, where some slight accumulations are likely, but temporarily at low-levels.'

An interesting night ahead!

• Like 1

Posted

never too wet to stick, bit of a myth. If it doesn't stick it's because the temperature and more so the ground temperature is not low enough. If the ground temperature is close or below freezing, it will stick whether it's wet or not

Ahh yeah haha, that makes sense tbh! i've just noticed its starting to stick more certain surfaces now as the temps keep dropping :)

Posted

Some Sferics West of Scotland associated with this Low.. it seems very likely to be quite a good event for hail - thundersnow.. and possibly tornadoes when it hits Wales

~ however, it does seem to be losing it's "eye of the storm" look.. and may'be nothing when it gets here.

Edited by ancientsolar
  • Like 1

Posted

When forecastes say "moving over South Western parts of England and Wales" does that mean South western England and South Western Wales ......or ......South Western England and Wales as in the whole country???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

I'd read it as over South West England and over Wales as a whole. I'd expect them to say West Wales otherwise. Not sure though.

• Like 1

Posted

Well not

I'd read it as over South West England and over Wales as a whole. I'd expect them to say West Wales otherwise. Not sure though.

As clear as mud !!

Posted

Click on more reply options, browse for your photo/file, add, attach and post. :)

Thanks. Hope this works.  Nope

Edited by snowy36

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

Think it will be literally a nowcast event and could be further east could be forther west but its definatley coming and prime spots will be through the middle of wales id say with snow more likely on its eastern flank. Lots of radar watching tonight for sure good luck to those who get dumped on somwhere in wales will get a pasting i think.

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks. Hope this works.  Nope

How odd. It works fine for me with both my phone and pc.

Posted

How odd. It works fine for me with both my phone and pc.

Weather warning from met snow over high ground after midnight,meanwhile huge shower leaving Ireland heading to Wales

• Like 1

Posted

Weather warning from met snow over high ground after midnight,meanwhile huge shower leaving Ireland heading to Wales

I've got my eye on those! :)

Only 9 metres asl here, but there's always a chance.

Posted

Seems like forecasters can't agree with each other- strange situation for tonight then. Expect nothing (like today) and hopefully we'll have a nice surprise!!

Some strong groups of showers in NW Wales by the looks of it heading SE- hopefully will continue to pick up! Anyone in the NW let us know what you're getting?

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Unexpected Polar low tracking down wales tonight?? shows how unpredictable weather is!!

Except its not a polar low

• Like 1

Posted

Ye polar lows form in unstable polar air, they form at short notice and aren't normally found until 12 hours out. This feature will move southwards through wales and south west overnight. It is what has given the snow and wind warning from the metoffice. But the air doesn't quite look cold enough, so looks like rain/sleet lower ground with snow higher ground unfortunately.

Its a normal secondary low just coming from well NW, it was being modelled even last weekend when I produce my weekly outlook (I mentioned it in that it could well give a longer spell of sleet or snow tonight). True polar lows exist in very cold air often sub -10c at 850mbar level.

• Like 1

Posted

Hopefully we will all get some tonight, nothing worse than missing out in all the fun. I'm of work with the flu so i can stay up late  watch the snow come in.

Posted

According to Jo

"It is a polar low, they aren't that rare, it is like a trough line but gets its own circulation, caught in the flow south. Met OFfice have said it is a polar low for those who are waiting on Ian F's opinion. MO model moves it across NI and then Wales with heavy PPN"

have seen the debate since....but still it popped up at short notice and must have a consequence for the future weather.....looks like my location is just going to have wind/rain:(......but those a bit further inland might be in for a treat :).......I live in hope though

•  
  • Like 2

Posted

Glad to see a fair few with a bit of snow this afternoon...

The Preselis looked nice and white this afternoon.

A few hours later than expected, but not a total write-off after all.

Radar does look interesting... is that lump of precipitation off W Scotland heading our way?? And a load of stuff heading out of Ireland...

Love this set-up: anything can happen...

• Like 1

Posted

Second time lucky :sorry:    :D

Yay! Great snowy picture.

It actually snowed in Cardiff!!!

I actually got snow in my eye 3 times! Fab stuff.

Posted

Yay! Great snowy picture.

I actually got snow in my eye 3 times! Fab stuff.

I was in work but the any w was a major distraction for everyone! Only if the ground was colder could have had an inch or two. Monday looks very good for snow apparently.