Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

A few flakes in Cardiff! Lovely stuff. 😊

Edited by Clair_Witch

Posted

Turned into what looks like graupel now, coming down really strong but a mile to my west it's completely clear. Weird day!

Posted

Yellow weather warnings on the MO Thursday/ Friday, Sun and Mon - looks like S Wales might get to the party after all

Posted

Missed every shower yesterday but just had the best one for 2 years, hopefully a nice base for tonight.

How do u put photos up, i tried to use tinypic but it wouldn't let me.

Edited by snowy36

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Snowing moderately in cardiff city centre now, not going to stick unless temperature drops further but lovely to see

Posted

Looks like showers starting to fade away, just as they have turned to snow here. Typical haha.

Posted

Heavy snow showers here too wet to stick though! temps dropping currently 1*C

Posted

Heavy snow showers here too wet to stick though! temps dropping currently 1*C

never too wet to stick, bit of a myth. If it doesn't stick it's because the temperature and more so the ground temperature is not low enough. If the ground temperature is close or below freezing, it will stick whether it's wet or not
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

A fair few snow showers earlier, a slight covering on the highest elevations but nothing special.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

So what's with this Polar Low everyone is getting excited about in the Mod thread??

Posted

Snow for Tuesday still on the 12z GFS, if not better than earlier runs. Dangler Saturday night into Sunday too...

Posted

Missed every shower yesterday but just had the best one for 2 years, hopefully a nice base for tonight.

How do u put photos up, i tried to use tinypic but it wouldn't let me.

Click on more reply options, browse for your photo/file, add, attach and post. :)

Posted

So what's with this Polar Low everyone is getting excited about in the Mod thread??

They are very rare, and can dump a lot of snow if they make landfall. This one is currently dumping a lot of precipitation on the Outer Hebrides.

If this one doesn't die and tracks south it will pick up a lot of moisture off the sea and has the potential to produce a big snow event. It will also drag a lot of colder air with it, the models will need to play keep up now as its presence could alter this forecasted cold spell in a big way.

Saying all that they are very volatile systems and it could die out as quickly as it formed.

Posted

Unexpected Polar low tracking down wales tonight?? shows how unpredictable weather is!!

• Like 1

Posted

They are very rare, and can dump a lot of snow if they make landfall. This one is currently dumping a lot of precipitation on the Outer Hebrides.

If this one doesn't die and tracks south it will pick up a lot of moisture off the sea and has the potential to produce a big snow event. It will also drag a lot of colder air with it, the models will need to play keep up now as its presence could alter this forecasted cold spell in a big way.

Saying all that they are very volatile systems and it could die out as quickly as it formed.

Ye polar lows form in unstable polar air, they form at short notice and aren't normally found until 12 hours out. This feature will move southwards through wales and south west overnight. It is what has given the snow and wind warning from the metoffice. But the air doesn't quite look cold enough, so looks like rain/sleet lower ground with snow higher ground unfortunately.

• Like 1

Posted

One formed a couple of years back and dumped a masive amount of snow over Lancashire and except in the alps it's the most iv ever seen since the 80s .

Had a few beefy snow showers this afternoon but still no laying snow on the ground .

Posted

Metoffice updated their warnings, forecasting 50-70mph winds across Wales tonight! 

Last night on GFS, I noticed a "potential" low hitting Wales, I didn't know what to make of it, I can only assume that's the polar low that may develop out of the current isobars of the large low Sitting beyond NE Scotland?

Posted

Fingers crossed the temperatures stay low enough as this comes down the Irish sea, to dump a few inches on us all overnight....what are the chances? High for rain probably, for most of us - apart from lucky Andy on top of his mountain.

Posted

Fingers crossed the temperatures stay low enough as this comes down the Irish sea, to dump a few inches on us all overnight....what are the chances? High for rain probably, for most of us - apart from lucky Andy on top of his mountain.

u never know eh - looking good though

lots of unstable air about plus some gales - could be very interesting

Edited by andymusic

Posted

I was pleasantly surprised to see just snow falling in Cardiff and not sleet. It wasn't forecast and it's still quite warm (was 1.9C and dp of 0.6C). Hopefully tonight the temps will drop some more and anything that falls will be snow. I'm happy enough that I've finally seen a flake. It's been close on 2 years since anything has fallen in this neck of the woods.

• Like 1