Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

mean while across the pond

• The National Weather Service says the storm system will continue to strengthen
    as it develops into a major nor'easter on Monday, dumping 1-3 feet of
    snow to many parts of the Northeast
    with snowdrifts several feet higher
  • States of emergency declared in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New Hampshire
  • Travel ban on all non-emergency vehicles in Rhode Island at 8 p.m., Connecticut at 9 p.m., New York City and affected counties at 11 p.m.
  • Thousands of flights already cancelled
  • Schools closed Tuesday across the region

http://news.yahoo.com/blizzard-2015-nyc-northeast-snow-live-photos-video-131339073.html

North Eastern America's leftovers heading our way (I know it won't make it in tact but who knows????????

gfs-2-240.png?18

Edited by andymusic

Posted

• The National Weather Service says the storm system will continue to strengthen as it develops into a major nor'easter on Monday, dumping 1-3 feet of snow to many parts of the Northeast with snowdrifts several feet higher
  • States of emergency declared in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New Hampshire
  • Travel ban on all non-emergency vehicles in Rhode Island at 8 p.m., Connecticut at 9 p.m., New York City and affected counties at 11 p.m.

http://news.yahoo.com/blizzard-2015-nyc-northeast-snow-live-photos-video-131339073.html

Imagine that came and hit Wales lol and stalled would be quality!
  • Like 1

Posted

another snow map of beauty for Wales on saturday

gfs-2-120.png?18

WOW

Rtavn1201.gif

Rtavn1261.gif

anyone for a dangler in Pembs?

gfs-2-132.png?18

Latest fax charts ties in with your charts Andy Showers and longer organised bands of snow PPVL89.png

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

18z fi - one scandi high and the American leftovers bearing down on us - mmmmmmmmmmmmm - could it?

gfs-2-312.png?18

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted

Bbc really ramping up this cold spell now - haven't seen a forecast similar to this since Dec 2010 for Wales!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/30995308

• Like 1

Posted

Bbc really ramping up this cold spell now - haven't seen a forecast similar to this since Dec 2010 for Wales!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/30995308

Once high pressure sets in, it's only likely to get even colder, and if a bunch of snow has been dumped many roads could be ice rinks for days!

• Like 1

Posted

Once high pressure sets in, it's only likely to get even colder, and if a bunch of snow has been dumped many roads could be ice rinks for days!

Not sure that's going to be much of a problem in our part of Wales though, it's going to be miserable followed by biting cold and windy.still get the cold in first and your in the game at least.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

Not sure that's going to be much of a problem in our part of Wales though, it's going to be miserable followed by biting cold and windy.still get the cold in first and your in the game at least.

I've got to disagree with you here as I think areas near the west coast ie Pembrokeshire,Carmarthenshire Anglesey and western gwynedd will.do well from constant snow showers but all areas could see snow especially over the weekend... Probably a lot of snow on hills from Wednesday afternoon onwards too

Edited by marksiwnc
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

My take on it the showers will form in a line from the Llyn peninsular down to Bridgend as its most eastern point anywhere west of this could get anything from about 2-10 inches Saturday to Monday further east of Bridgend might get a rouge shower or 2 but the beacons shadow effect will prevent the worst hitting east of Bridgend! That's what I see anyway sorry east wales but it's normally the case unless a front moves down with the flow which could happen then we could all be in business so here's hoping we all get a enough to smile about!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

My take on it the showers will form in a line from the Llyn peninsular down to Bridgend as its most eastern point anywhere west of this could get anything from about 2-10 inches Saturday to Monday further east of Bridgend might get a rouge shower or 2 but the beacons shadow effect will prevent the worst hitting east of Bridgend! That's what I see anyway sorry east wales but it's normally the case unless a front moves down with the flow which could happen then we could all be in business so here's hoping we all get a enough to smile about!

typical I'm in cardiff on the one weekend I want to be home in pembrokeshire!!

Posted

got more of a westerly - nor westerly intially - so showers should push in inland a fair way underneath the beacons - plus some frontal snow about - as the winds turn to a northerly - showers will find it a little harder to penetrate the south east - but there will be some frontal events - but maps are showing a good fall of snow for most of the west of Wales - time to go back to my grandparents in Aberystwyth methinks lol

Posted

It only takes a couple of snow showers to cause chaos. I'm supposed to be going to Aberystwyth on Saturday, so I will be keeping a very close eye on it. 
My Uncle normally drives North of the Western valleys, and through some valleys that have silver mines... anyways.. so yes.. I will have to observe the weather right out through the week to get a sense of the road conditions. It already looks risky. 

• Like 1

Posted

wow off topic i know but just been watching local news from New York - its taking an absolute hammering right now. Interstate roads empty and covered by up to 1 feet of snow and the blizzrds just keep coming! Im moving country LOL http://pix11.com/on-air/live-streaming/

• Like 1

Posted

wow off topic i know but just been watching local news from New York - its taking an absolute hammering right now. Interstate roads empty and covered by up to 1 feet of snow and the blizzrds just keep coming! Im moving country LOL http://pix11.com/on-air/live-streaming/

post-10664-0-05343100-1422344075_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

Doesn't look like much of an event for us tomorrow.  Bulk of the precipitation may be further north than expected. 

That's how I've been seeing it too :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

• The National Weather Service says the storm system will continue to strengthen as it develops into a major nor'easter on Monday, dumping 1-3 feet of snow to many parts of the Northeast with snowdrifts several feet higher

North Eastern America's leftovers heading our way (I know it won't make it in tact but who knows????????

gfs-2-240.png?18

And to think our met office issues warnings for 2cm of snow...and uses words like "disruption". Is it any wonder people in other countries laugh at us? Back on topic...doesn't look like this coming spell is going to deliver does it? Time starting to run out now on another poor winter...before any peddles the "better than last winter" line at me, I'll respond by saying, not as wet or stormy sure, but it's still been a mild and pretty much snowless (for many) winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

I guess I'll be sitting this one out as the Black Mountains and Beacons are going to be a very effective snow shield for AberG.

• Like 1

Posted

I guess I'll be sitting this one out as the Black Mountains and Beacons are going to be a very effective snow shield for AberG.

a little patience - event hasn't even begun yet - westerlies will push showers across initially

gfs-2-30.png?6

looks full of potential

gfs-2-48.png?6

gfs-2-54.png?6

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted

Copied from captain shortwave in se England thread: (hope he doesn't mind)

Anyway here is the Euro 4 forecast out to it's furthest time (T48h)

15012900_2700.gif

Showers pushing East/south east so again the potential for some wintry showers during the early hours on Thursday morning. The showers look to be falling mainly as snow on here.

Backed up by some decent 850 temperatures

15012900_2700.gif

And dew points

15012900_2700.gif

Still calling for a dusting in places by Thursday morning.

I can't understand some of the charts. These show dew points at -2 and 850 s of -8 and yet still rain on BBC and met office. Surely for tax payers money they should be more.accurate with only two days until that time. Edited by marksiwnc
  • Like 1

Posted

Copied from captain shortwave in se England thread: (hope he doesn't mind)

I can't understand some of the charts. These show dew points at -2 and 850 s of -8 and yet still rain on BBC and met office. Surely for tax payers money they should be more.accurate with only two days until that time.

Or, maybe, the METO are, well, producing an independent forecast and using our tax payers money well. 

• Like 3

Posted

Or, maybe, the METO are, well, producing an independent forecast and using our tax payers money well.

Meaning?? Its just frustrating that they haven't provided a model as of yet that can determine what's going to fall out of the sky.. I know it's a hard thing to Predict but never the less I hope they one day can do.so... Anyway hopefully it will all be snow for Wales. Who knows