Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

sometimes i'm looking at the street lamp in Blackwood, and seeing times when the rain is falling as sleet! So i'm not giving up just yet

Edit ~ report coming in from Netweather Radar, that it's snowing at CF71 ~ Cowbridge

Edited by ancientsolar

Posted

Cowbridge?! I find that very hard to believe, must be a glitch with the system.

Nothing but (very) cold rain with occasional sleet in these parts.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes, I find it hard to believe to.. ~ not so much a glitch with the system. These news feeds are brought in by people on twitter and then are updated to netweather "social" section on the netweather radar. ~ Blaenavon looks amazing in the snow! 

Indeed it is based on what the models think should be happening, not what is actually happening, it can be useful for indicative purposes though.

As per earlier,  precipitype radars are based on predictors of computer models, and while useful as indicators should not be taken as gospel.

• Like 1

Posted

As per earlier,  precipitype radars are based on predictors of computer models, and while useful as indicators should not be taken as gospel.

I was posting, based on what I read on the social radar. the precip type radar shows rain for almost all of South Wales

[blaenavon looks amazing in the snow!]

Ha ha it does! There's some breath taking views with or without the snow.

I sometimes go up there to see the railway may'be once every 2 years. would love to go up there during a snow storm or thunderstorm though. 

It is possible you could get some snow by morning :)

Posted

Freezing cold and rain. We can't be happy with that.

You've got to think how much a few fraction of degrees increase in temperature has ruined our chances of snow over recent years.

When I see 2 or 3 degrees and its p1ssing down I'm thinking if this was the 50's, 60's or 70's would it be snowing! So frustrating.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I was never expecting snow here anyway ! As I said yesterday dew points are too high for snow!

Posted

Well certainly if it's snow you're after, this cold snap has certainly been disappointing at low levels. Can't give up for the winter though- there's certainly murmurings of some better set ups for us in Wales come the end of the month. We'll see though. I think the most frustrating part of this snap has been the tendency for a south west wind making things a bit too marginal. We're exposed to it on the south Wales coast and it really did just make it too mild whenever precipitation came our way. I was watching the north west thread on Saturday and the same was the case for them with the north west winds warming things up to much at exposed low elevations.

Still, we've had some frosts and some nice sunshine. Certainly an improvement on last winter so far even if not a classic. Fingers crossed us at lower levels get an inch or two before the winter's out (no innuendo intended! :p)

Edited by RhysWales
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

So quiet in here! Had hardly any rain yesterday let alone anything else! What are our prospects over the next week for cold and snow? or are we likely to just have more cold rain?

Posted

So quiet in here! Had hardly any rain yesterday let alone anything else! What are our prospects over the next week for cold and snow? or are we likely to just have more cold rain?

gosh all we had was rain from 1pm until i woke at 6am this morning LOL. I guess everyone are nursing 'major disappointment hangovers' due to lack of snow and the warnings made.

• Like 1

Posted

See, I don't think it was bitter. It was just colder than we've come to expect over a couple of mild years. And therein the problem. Even the last time we had some serious snow we had to wait for the cold sector to catch up to the warm one. So, even at 3 am (start of 2013) it was still pretty heavy rain. We haven't really had a good established cold leading to snow situation since the December of 2011.

• Like 1

Posted

My hope is that we'll see another trio of 2008/9-10/11 winters very soon.

My fear and expectation is that, with climate change and warming accelerating, "cold" spells and let downs like the one we've just seen will become the norm in coming winters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

My hope is that we'll see another trio of 2008/9-10/11 winters very soon.

My fear and expectation is that, with climate change and warming accelerating, "cold" spells and let downs like the one we've just seen will become the norm in coming winters.

Maybe, but many would argue the opposite and say for that our part of the world, global warming may lead to an increase of colder winters. 

This aside, colder winters do tend to come and go in patterns. The late 70's were cold winters but then the mid to late 80s were some of the mildest on record. It seems after 2009 we reentered a cold winter period but now possibly we are entering a milder period again. Who knows but global warming may actually cause an increase in colder winters and warmer summers for our latitude

• Like 1

Posted

looks like end of the month could herald our next cld shot - around 30th

You can see the next cold spell staring to take shape .strong N West wind set to last through the first week of Feb, west is best LOL. http://t.co/CmM5jplDon

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

I'm 2 mins from blackwood and nothing here

Posted

Maybe, but many would argue the opposite and say for that our part of the world, global warming may lead to an increase of colder winters. 

This aside, colder winters do tend to come and go in patterns. The late 70's were cold winters but then the mid to late 80s were some of the mildest on record. It seems after 2009 we reentered a cold winter period but now possibly we are entering a milder period again. Who knows but global warming may actually cause an increase in colder winters and warmer summers for our latitude

The late 80`s from 87-88 winter was an awful spell until 1990/91 which was back on form,the mid 80`s were the best period of my life.

Anyone remember January 1984 on here,interested to know what wales got that month,I have little memory of it being in school.

As cold zonality still now as this month has proved here,with lying snow from the atlantic.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Took the photo attached earlier today while driving across the mountain above llangynidr in powys.

post-10134-0-14613400-1421870509_thumb.j

• Like 3