Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

I dunno. I cycle to work most days, Pencoed to Cardiff and back. So I get a good handle on what it feels like out there. To me, for S Wales area, it just feels too warm today and marginal. Needs a temp drop later or heavy precip.

Posted

Weather warnings are due to be issued this morning for possible disruptive snow across Wales later on today/tonight.

Just seen that Ian Fergusson said this. Looks good for us in wales.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

I've got the wife's car today because the battery needs changing. So all my emergency winter gear stuff is still in my car.

I get the horrible feeling that things may take a turn for the worst in Merthyr this evening and I'll be stuffed. My luck. 

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I've got the wife's car today because the battery needs changing. So all my emergency winter gear stuff is still in my car.

I get the horrible feeling that things may take a turn for the worst in Merthyr this evening and I'll be stuffed. My luck. 

Lets hope so (for the majority) :)

Driving up to Aber and back today pretty sure there will be no issues here.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Where did ian say that?

Warnings re tonight-tomorrow will be issued this morning. Wales, Midlands and parts of N at greatest risk of disruptive snow.

Upcoming cold spell discussion thread - https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82292-upcoming-cold-spell-discussion/page-5

Posted

Lets hope so (for the majority) :)

Driving up to Aber and back today pretty sure there will be no issues here.

As long as i'm up and out of Merthyr before it gets bad then i can make it home.

MetO forecast has changed a little from early. ppn for later in the afternoon. Predicting mostly sleet for Merthyr. 

IanF did mention warnings in the Mod thread for Wales but I have a feeling they are wringing their hands at the moment. 

It really will come down to nowcasting and looking out the window as the front comes through

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

The reason why the radar shows precipitation when there is nothing falling from the sky is because of the air.

The precipitation is only light and moving into very cold dry air and this is preventing the precipitation from actually reaching the ground as it evaporates before reaching ground level. You need heavier precipitation for the droplets to reach the ground when the precipitation is moving into a dry cold airmass like today.

Ps. If I was around the Wrexham area, id be excited for tomorrow, looks like it will be a decent event for areas around there.

post-19721-0-98294900-1421752794_thumb.j

Posted

I take it the heavier stuff coming into SW Wales is rain?

Posted

it's snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice big flakes and quite heavy now

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted

Reports coming in of #uksnow on Twitter in Bridgend and Cardiff

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Can the people in Cardiff just confirm it's snowing to sea level or are you in the sticks?

Posted

New here, hope we do get some of the white stuff to stick in south wales. how bad is it in ponty?

very very heavy now and big flakes

Posted

it's snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice big flakes and quite heavy now

blinking hell andy - send it our way. your being greedy now LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Rain here in cardiff city centre at the moment. But doesn't look like much falling at all.

Posted

Rain here in cardiff city centre at the moment. But doesn't look like much falling at all.

It's actually falling as snow about 1/2 mile up from the City Centre. Less heat effect. Lots of snow around apparently. Which bodes slightly better. Temps should, I hope, drop away soon. Depends how much there's a warm sector.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

It's actually falling as snow about 1/2 mile up from the City Centre. Less heat effect. Lots of snow around apparently. Which bodes slightly better. Temps should, I hope, drop away soon. Depends how much there's a warm sector.

haha typical! Bloody urban heat island, although probably minimal in Cardiff, it is still probably making a difference as you say between rain/snow. Areas around cardiff slightly higher too which helps, plus the wind is from the south east and the city centre is closer to the estuary. May have to take a drive at lunch!

Ps. It is not actually doing anything in cardiff mind, main precipitation looks slightly further west

Edited by bradythemole