Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

OK guys just woke up after a busy night shift and weather watching. I can report during the night of only freezing rain and hail falling here. This afternoon this is a slight covering over the mountains of snow, but more importantly the rain froze in back garden. Its like an ice rink out there even now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Good to see many people saw snow last night! Looks like there could be more on the way tonight. It's just been cold rain here in central Cardiff, even last night, it down to about -2 with a heavy frost, but when the precipitation came it fell as rain. I saw Derek has tweeted he expects cold rain on Tuesday for most lowland areas :( We'll see. Remember a lot of snowfalls are unexpected, and can come from things like troughs that the models struggle to pick up on until the last minute. The longer this cold spell lasts, the more chance of unexpected snowfalls :)

Also, I didn't want to ask this in the model thread so hopefully someone here might know - is the GFS still considered to be an 'over-progressive' model in situations like these? It seems it's had a lot of updates recently?

Edited by soupsurfer7

Posted

Good to see the beeb forecast was wrong saying showers would die out,I can see 4 from here.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map/#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1421461800&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.45

Temp maxed at 4.1c now 2.3c and the snow in the shade now crispy.

How bad was the snow in Blackwood with the rugby called off there today due the snow.

Surprised as Blackwood is only at 150m.

edited after replies below from Swansea RFC website.,

"Swansea RFC's league match away at Blackwood is postponed due to heavy snow making playing conditions impossible. We will publish the new date for this fixture as soon as it is confirmed."

Edited by J10

Posted

How bad was the snow in Blackwood with the rugby called off there today due the snow.

We had a few cms here,the side roads was pretty slushy and slidy,ground was frozen underneath,perhaps it was that or dangerous getting down there,we had fog as well.
  • Like 1

Posted

I stayed up for the snow, till about 5:30. ~ It didn't take long at all for it to stick about 5mins, ~ within an hour.. car tracks that had been going over the snow were being covered within about 10mins.. and eventually only the lorries were able to indent their tyres into the snow enough you could see the road. Not a good recipe for driving on any hills! ~

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

looking increasingly this UK cold spell will give anything but snow here, my towel is thrown in, if its going to rain do it with temperatures above 10, so its more bearable  :nonono:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Well to me this just feels like an average spell of January weather, the way people were going on in the Mod thread about the next few days were as if it was going to b a very cold week!!! I don't call highs of 7c very cold in January and a night time temperature of 2c cold either. The only thing I will say is cold, is the rain lol

Edited by freeze for all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I tend to agree. I think we may see some wintry showers but that will be all. Just cold rain I fear.

Woody 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

It's a marginal situation for next week, and I'm afraid we're slightly on the wrong side of marginal for low-lying southern areas, and cold rain is likely. That's just the luck of the draw, you win some, you lose some. It wouldn't be foolish to keep checking the forecast, however, since there is a possibility they could change, but I think we should accept defeat and not EXPECT anything. There will always be other opportunities, and it's only mid January.

Posted

Its cold enough for snow next week,deep cold centre of the low and it may well track further south still,all the better.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm962.html

Battleground situation to me UKMO shows that.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

that rain is SLOWY turning to sleet/snow now, temp here is 1.0 

• Like 1

To be perfectly blunt if the Met Office are struggling with the setup for Tuesday which they are, it is 100% impossible to correctly gauge what will happen for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Looking on the MOD thread you can find posters like Steve Murr saying mostly a snow event with others will mostly a rain event.

It is worth bearing in mind that the coldest air hasn't even arrived yet.

Edited by J10
  • Like 3

Posted

Are you in Cardiff mate?

Nope, still home aha

Posted

front seems to be moving slower than forecast, NEVER a bad thing, better than quicker, allows colder air to come in as we get later to the night :)

Edited by Snowmadsam
  • Like 2

Posted

front seems to be moving slower than forecast, NEVER a bad thing, better than quicker, allows colder air to come in as we get later to the night :)

I was thinking the exact thing!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Nope, still home aha

Just rain and ice pellets here today

Posted

When is the colder air coming in proper seems rain across most of the region totally lost about this cold spell

It's on the way :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Cold coastal rain showers here.