Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Good morning.  Ex weather station owner (Left the remains at our last house when we moved), considering a NETATMO, but more importantly, very excited about the prospect of reporting in with news of big snow.

Based in the SE of Wales, near sea level between Chepstow  and Langstone.  Very rusty meteorological knowledge from my private pilot licence learning.   Fingers crossed.  Just looked out window, - very very wet ground having had so much precipitation over the past few days - chilly as an otters nose (technical term) and what appears to be almost frost forming on the grass of a well known ex - military base in the area..

Hi Hackett, always nice to see a new face around. :)

It's colder here than what was forecast this morning. Forecast 6c and it's currently 3.8c. Looks like that blast of cold is taking hold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

We were down Cardiff Bay last Summer when I spotted Derek. I turned into stalker mode, watching from a distance and snapping photos. Eventually I plucked up the courage to ask for a photo with my daughter. :D

I love his enthusiasm for the Welsh weather.

post-18830-0-40329300-1421403247_thumb.j

Edited by Clair_Witch
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Yellow weather warning issued for snow in Wales on Sat.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Miss him on the weather. Haven't seen him for ages. His enthusiasm is great. Great bit of banter with Jamie Owen too.

I remember he had a bit of stick a few years ago for his snow (or lack of it) forecast. It could have been as long ago as Jan 1996?? (was he doing the weather then?). Had a proper dumping in the end. He was up Caerphilly mounting reporting snow depth.  

Just proves how difficult forecasting snow was and still is.

He is just on his hols

• Like 1

Posted

Lots of people are talking of snow, is my location excluded from the party as I have checked a couple of weather forecast sites and they aren't showing anything ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Yellow weather warning issued for snow in Wales on Sat.

Looks a lot like Tuesday night with rain /sleet/hail on the coasts and snow above 200m

Posted

post-3297-0-24150600-1421405119_thumb.jp

Potential for next week into Tuesday

And this for Sunday but massively uncertain

post-3297-0-06364900-1421406061_thumb.jp

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Potential for Tuesday

Still too early to be looking at the line of rain and snow. Wintry showers around today :) 

Posted

Still too early to be looking at the line of rain and snow. Wintry showers around today :)

Yeah potential for snow tonight and higher ground very likely to see a covering by tomorrow morning , much better than last night as we drop to 0C before PPN comes in

Posted

Heavy snow on and off all morning.

Had a dusting of wet snow yesterday and overnight, but this is nice dry fluffy snow today

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Wintry showers at the moment.  Don't think it will stick...  log fire on, joys of working and window watching from home... :)

Posted

Lots of people are talking of snow, is my location excluded from the party as I have checked a couple of weather forecast sites and they aren't showing anything ?

With your height would not rule out snow in the next week.

Feels like a March or April showers set up at present, chilly but warmth in the sun now.

From this and as per Spring I would expect further surprise snowfalls in these marginal synpotics, with obviously hills doing the best. Not sure that any snow if it manages to settle below 250m will hang aroung so long, but nice where you get it, as was the one here earlier in the week :)

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Feels like a March or April showers set up at present, chilly but warmth in the sun now.

From this and as per Spring I would expect further surprise snowfalls in these marginal synpotics, with obviously hills doing the best. Not sure that any snow if it manages to settle below 250m will hang aroung so long, but nice where you get it, as was the one here earlier in the week :)

I'm also being prepared for surprise snowfalls :) I'm trying to stay home this week and not go back to Cardiff!!! Snow days are always best at home :) 

• Like 1

Posted

I'm also being prepared for surprise snowfalls :) I'm trying to stay home this week and not go back to Cardiff!!! Snow days are always best at home :)

Potential Dangler midweek Sam if only its cold enough..

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi hope it's ok to post in here I'm near wrexham and 5miles from elsmeer Shropshire with a view looking at the Berwyn hills that quite often have white covering on and at present have disappeared from view under heavy black clouds and the temperature has dropped a lot since mid day so hoping that we may see some wintery stuff later on .

Posted

Your welcome Les :) There is a band of wintry mix showers coming your way shortly from the NW perhaps some hail or brief snow then it will brighten up soon afterwards 

Posted

Potential Dangler midweek Sam if only its cold enough..

Fingers crossed that Low is further West then......:D

Posted

Thanks Tony I was thinking that I was going to miss out or the wrong part of the country as all the websites are just giving rain for my location. We did have a bit of snow on Tuesday where other areas were clear so I shouldn't moan too much but I absolutely love snow :)

Posted

At least you have height advantage there cf Llanelli!

Posted

Keeping an eye on the GFS! Further west is always best for Wales, as it means we don't get the warm sector :) 

Let's see what the 12z's say!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Good morning.  Ex weather station owner (Left the remains at our last house when we moved), considering a NETATMO, but more importantly, very excited about the prospect of reporting in with news of big snow.

Slightly off topic seeing as we are about to dip our toes into winter proper but hackett29 I bought a NETATMO about a month ago and absolutely love it - bought the rain guage as well though the wind guage is not due out for a few months yet - good graphical output which you can view from your Android or Apple devices on the go besides the PCs - its not a Davies but its no where near the cost either - recommended by me so far anyway - give me a shout if I can answer any questions based on my experience with it so far.

ahheem- as you were...back to the cold :0)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

I've found the Mod thread much more of a pleasure to read after finding the ignore function. 

The chopping and changing of the UKMO and GFS is very interesting to watch and comment on (mod thread) but its still at t120 where the marked difference is. Still way too far out to be of any great worry at this stage. IMO

Looking forward to seeing the temps drop of the weekend with the potential for some wintry showers. As the the old chestnut goes "lets get the cold in first"

Edited by Blackjack

Looks a lot like Tuesday night with rain /sleet/hail on the coasts and snow above 200m

There was snow here on Tuesday Night and Wednesday Morning in amongst the hail, sleet, rain and graupel.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some snow again in a wintry mix, however in terms of settling snow inland and hilly looks better [as ever].

One thing I find strange is the warning is for 200m compared to 100m when on the face of it conditions look a little better than last Tuesday, [but they have models we don't have access to. ]

Edited by J10

Latest Synoptic Chart for the week ahead as per my snow blog out later.

blogentry-213-0-81148100-1421429410_thum blogentry-213-0-76598000-1421429381_thum
blogentry-213-0-14463300-1421429553_thum blogentry-213-0-41500400-1421429355_thum
blogentry-213-0-72448400-1421429325_thum blogentry-213-0-49642200-1421429298_thum
blogentry-213-0-99160100-1421429273_thum blogentry-213-0-04915400-1421429247_thum

In summary slower turning colder from the North over the weekend especially by early next week.

Fronts attempt to push in from the west from about Tuesday weakening as they do so, and set to linger before turning colder again from the east late Wednesday into Thursday.

Set to turn less cold from the west on Friday. But this is a long way off and things are set to change.

I have deliberately not gone into detail and just concentrated on the basic synoptic pattern.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

wow,just waiting for the ecm to roll out and in the mod thread on of the mods has said there's a possibility of them closing the thread for a while.its unreal in there today