Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

The coldest upper air is this weekened but looks like snow showers only in the north.

But I don`t believe whats on TV.

As for next week more cold air comes in but its got a far too long atlantic reach west/SW flow wet sleety/snow showers,maybe dryer snow showers.

Next Thursday day to watch for storm force winds,first major storm of the winter south,if it comes off.

But the way the jet is speeding anything could come.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

next Tuesday possibly showing potential?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Wow! Winds have gone crazy in the last hour, everything's blowing all over the place outside and it's really howling. Gusts of 55mph at the moment here in Cardiff.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Windy but nothing special here nothing above 40mph this week in fact.

Which weather station recorded the 55mph gust in Cardiff please Clair as it seems high?

Highest I can see 50mph at Rhoose which is more exposed than the city itself:

http://weatherobs.com/

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted

Horrible out there. The noise is terrible. West facing bifold doors don't help. Reminiscent of last winter I have to say. We had the tiles storm batterned after losing several last year on 3 seperate occasions.

Its a good test this evening that's for sure.

Posted

This one Tony. http://www.cbwac.com/harbour/harbour/barrage/Current_Vantage_Pro_Plus.htm

It's now reporting 65mph at 5.32pm. It's howling out there, I keep picking up plant pots and my big wheely bin, but 5 minutes later they're all trying to escape again.

Posted

Hi all! Blowy night hey? I'm not sure whether I'm going crazy, but was just having a cigarette out of my window (!) and noticed two big flashes of what seemed like green sheet lightning. I'm fairly certain the conditions aren't conducive for lightning though am I right? It was on top of a hill called Pen-y-lan, west of Newport overlooking Cardiff. Wondering if you guys had any ideas? Maybe a pylon getting damaged in the wind?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

wind 1 fence 0

• Like 1

Posted

Hi all! Blowy night hey? I'm not sure whether I'm going crazy, but was just having a cigarette out of my window (!) and noticed two big flashes of what seemed like green sheet lightning. I'm fairly certain the conditions aren't conducive for lightning though am I right? It was on top of a hill called Pen-y-lan, west of Newport overlooking Cardiff. Wondering if you guys had any ideas? Maybe a pylon getting damaged in the wind?

there are some heavy power cables going over pen-y-lan ,maybe one has come down causing the flash you saw .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales

This wind is tremendously strong. Got to be close to 70mph gusts up here. Noise is incredible, bins flying around the street - and not food bins - large rubbish bins - bit frightening.

Incredibly mild though unless you are in one of the strong gusts. Just imagine what it was like in Scotland last night - we are quite a few mph short of some of their gust strengths.

Liking the look of colder incursions appearing in a lot more of the outputs next couple of weeks.

JK

• Like 1

Posted

Very nice NW flow with plenty of wintry showers mixed in the flow into Friday looks just as good h500slp.pngh850t850eu.png

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

there are some heavy power cables going over pen-y-lan ,maybe one has come down causing the flash you saw .

I thought that would be the case! For a split second, I was hoping it was some rare weather phenomenon I had witnessed! ;)

Posted

question is do I take the dog for a walk as I have just witnessed a roof tile fly off my neighbours roof.....?

My regular look at the Alps for next week has all the GFS charts for next week as normal, with alternating Polar and Tropical Maritime flows next week over NW Europe next week including over Wales.

Today - Sunday

blogentry-213-0-82242500-1420829668_thum blogentry-213-0-26090200-1420829663_thum blogentry-213-0-77777900-1420829657_thum

Monday - Wednesday
blogentry-213-0-14615400-1420829652_thum blogentry-213-0-64446800-1420829646_thum blogentry-213-0-03456100-1420829640_thum

Thursday - Friday

blogentry-213-0-85177800-1420829633_thum blogentry-213-0-11424100-1420829628_thum

https://forum.netweather.tv/blog/189/entry-4863-alps-weather-forecast-9-january-2015/

For us, definitely wintry potential in there (especially for hills as normal), but one thing for certain certainly not boring weather

Out there tonight - breezy but I think other people on here are having it worse than here.

Edited by J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales

question is do I take the dog for a walk as I have just witnessed a roof tile fly off my neighbours roof.....?

The way the wind is by us both I don't think I would risk it - could be dangerous- admittedly you would be unlucky to be hit by one - but why chance it?

JK

Posted

My fairly sturdy garden fence is all over the drive way right now! Careful if you're off out this evening!

Posted

wouldn't go out anywhere right now - too dangerous - flying debris - trees etc - snow due next week though eh :D

• Like 3

Posted

just took a quick walk to the shop and back,10 mins tops and that was enough for me.b and q are going to make a fortune from fence panel sales tomorrow judging by the other comments on here tonight!

Posted

I opened the front door and it nearly blew off its hinges. Definitely stay indoors and stay safe people. You never know what will be flying around out there tonight, might even spot a flying cow or 2.

Posted

Had a big dip in the lights around the same time here. Might be related

Posted

Lost my greenhouse to the winds last year,bought a polytunnel instead its still up at the moment but if the covers on in the morning I will eat my hat! All will be forgiven if it snows next week!

Posted

Thursday into Friday snow potential increases

with occasional snow with longer outbreaks in the mix ,best charts for a few years h850t850eu.png

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 3