Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

When the wintry mix moves though today this looks very nice for Saterday :w00t: Any remaining rain, sleet or snow in the east clearing with winds easing then bright for most. Wintry showers, some perhaps prolonged, continue moving south across the UK. Staying cold.

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales

Not looking good up here - temperature gone up in last 3 hours from -1.9°C to +2.9°C - up 3°C - so not a good trend up in the valleys for this rain coming in to fall as snow.

As the front comes in I expect another degree or two to upwards on the temperature - it does seem to be struggling a bit like I said last night to move inland - but I am not that hopeful. Resorting to finger crossing for some snow later, very technical method :)

Anyone awake down West Wales able to confirm temperatures and if ppn has started?

JK

Posted

Morning all, doesn't look too great today does it? Never mind though why have a poxy cm or 2 when we're going to get the beloved channel low later this winter haha - have to stay positive.

A much better chance of seeing some white stuff once the front moves through(possible back edge wet snow),Colder air digs in and temperatures will drop with the heavy wintry showers tonight and tom

morrow,as the wind switches to a more Northerly direction,tonight and tommorow.h500slp.png

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted

Lets see if we can get some reports in from Mid Wales as the action starts.

The intensity will also matter as you will get evaporative cooling.

I suggest mainly hills North of the M4 and lower levels from Central Wales.

This was always a marginal event, however that type of event can also bring the best accumulations in a short space of time.

I believe raining now in South West Wales, so lets see what happens has precipitation moves North East and low Tracks East ( South East would be even better)

• Like 1

Posted

Currently 4.2°C - temperature climbing quite quickly so unless evaporative cooling takes place and dips the temperature no snow below the tops of the valleys at least.

I hope you are right Keith and the winds take over to drop the temperature later but I for one was hoping this would arrive as progged to do so by around 8am - colder air still around then but the front is obviously bringing in the milder air a bit further than anticipated.

Looking at the next few days as well, grey and boring comes to mind. Do not see it being that cold - just chilly.

JK

Posted

Currently 4.2°C - temperature climbing quite quickly so unless evaporative cooling takes place and dips the temperature no snow below the tops of the valleys at least.

I hope you are right Keith and the winds take over to drop the temperature later but I for one was hoping this would arrive as progged to do so by around 8am - colder air still around then but the front is obviously bringing in the milder air a bit further than anticipated.

Looking at the next few days as well, grey and boring comes to mind. Do not see it being that cold - just chilly.

JK

From met Crackpot Any remaining rain, sleet or snow in the east clearing with winds easing then bright for most. Wintry showers, some perhaps prolonged, continue moving south across the UK. Staying cold.So not boring lol

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

From met Crackpot Any remaining rain, sleet or snow in the east clearing with winds easing then bright for most. Wintry showers, some perhaps prolonged, continue moving south across the UK. Staying cold.So not boring lol

I think you'll find watching approaching infrequent showers falling as rain reasonably boring! Still hoping for some upgrades in the short term - change of track etc might be helpful.

JK

Posted

Location : 5 miles north of tenby. About 3 degrees here, was around freezing all way back from swansea nxt sale this morning 7.30, but rose sharply about 2 miles from home but holding steady around 3 degrees with some very cold rain falling

Posted

Steady rain mind, not the boring infrequent type. No wind as such yet😉

Edited by Pk10

Posted

Thanks PK these reports will help us see what is happening.

Not too worried about temps to start as the winds from South likely to hold the warm sector, as low passes through gives best chance of something more wintry for most.

I have a sneaky feeling something white falling in hills around Builth Wells now. Just the way precipitation showed stronger echoes as it reached there. Question is Sleet or Snow?

Posted

Steady, fine rainhere too... Been like it for about an hour.

Posted

Evaporative cooling is our best bet today for many of us.

However the effect will not be as effective as the low deepens as winds will increase and lower the effect.

The flip side is that those higher winds could drag the cooler air from North over more Southern Counties.

This is why i feel back edge snow is more likely in South, but mid wales may do okay

Posted

Any chance of a pembrokeshire dangler?

Posted

It's 2.7 her,just hope it doesn't go up any further! C'mon just a sprinkling plz?!

It's 4.6°C here in Bargoed Whiskers and we are only 2 miles apart!

JK

Posted

Any chance of a pembrokeshire dangler?

Perhaps overnight tonight as the wind direction turns NW then NNW, which should bring some showers to Wales, especially Pembs. Whether this will fall as snow is dubious but quite possible. 

Posted

The way the day is going so far it certainly looks like overnight tonight is the best chance for snow - and possibility this will then keep the temperature down and that snow could stay around for a couple of days.

Not sure as I keep saying of much south of the heads of the valleys today but as the afternoon goes on and the cold air undercuts later that could give what most of us what we want.

JK

Posted

odd temps in places....its still only 2.7C here up from 0.6 first thing....with light rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

same here.hopefully we will see a bit later but I'm not holding my breath today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

seasonal greetings from Rhoose. Currently 5.6c & dropping with drizzly rain, wind 7MPH but expected to increase, certainly a day for staying in and drinking some Christmas cheer ! ..should have said "I'm not expecting any snow here today" 

Edited by Phantom2

Posted

It's 4.6°C here in Bargoed Whiskers and we are only 2 miles apart!

JK

3.6 here and just started with light rain,fingers crossed!

Posted

3.6 here and just started with light rain,fingers crossed!

Raining here now....... :(

JK