Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Drone footage of Storm West Seneca NY 4K Aerial: http://youtu.be/5m6oXJcg7aM

Watch and greet

All I can say is WOW!! Can only DREAM of snow like that here, guess I'll have to move when I'm older unless something drastic happens to the winter weather!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Drone footage of Storm West Seneca NY 4K Aerial: http://youtu.be/5m6oXJcg7aM

Watch and greet

Embedded.

Posted

Another benign day here with a few showers in the morning and some sun in the afternoon with only an occasional gentle breeze .Was 10c at 5.00pm but now 6c and falling.

Giving the herbaceous border its autumn trim today and got two grain bucket loads  twice the normal looks quite bare now . There  was some really turbo charged plant growth this last summer.

Posted

I imagine the potential for some very cold winters towards the end of this decade will be there, and could well extend right through the 2020s if the cycle is as poor as expected.

Does that constitute a ramp?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Does that constitute a ramp?

Just a wee one:

6-large.jpg

:laugh:

(think we'll be seeing a few more though this time next month...)

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Ironically Ramp is an anagram of pram which is where the Xmas toys will be thrown from if this strat analysis does not bare white snowy fruit :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Well this November has surpassed all expectations. local weather average last year 5.5c coldest _4c.This year average 8.4c coldest 2c! Let's hope December provides at least some widespread frost its not too much to ask. The charts don't get interesting until after the 7th December unfortunately. Need some base snow for the skiers.

• Like 1

Posted

Finally some white to look at again on the webcams, perhaps a bit more in the next few days, but end of the month into early December has looked quite tasty for the mountains in many recent model runs... fingers crossed!

post-4009-0-03575100-1416743870_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Thanks for the info re the low solar activity LS. will be interesting to see if we do get increased volcanic activity. Have been hearing of increased activity in New Zealand and around the Ring of Fire. Will have a look further into this.

Models still very unclear but trying not to get too excited about Strat developments !

Lovely sunny day here. In the garden doing my winter tidy up :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Ben Tee has a lovely wee snow cap today as do all the hills down the Glen into Fort Bill.

The mince pies are oot! Forecast says there should be more which means I may extend my seasonal menu to mulled wine too.

• Like 1

Posted

Fine crisp sunny day after overnight ground frost with a maximum temperature of 5c.First day too with a frost lying in the shade all day. Currently 3.5c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

A Visitor's Guide to Scotland

By Danny Bhoy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Bhoy

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The runs tonight aren't immediately appealing if you like snow, but a few decent features show up:

1) rainfall totals look to be fairly low - on the east coast pretty much a dry week, a bit more further north and west but given the way HP has continually managed to claw back in spite of numerous attempts to bring the Atlantic in proper I reckon many of us will avoid seeing any rain for a while altogether:

192-777PUK.GIF?23-18

2) temperatures - nothing spectacular, but after a fairly chilly day today we're likely to see a continuing risk of frost and maxima suppressed as well (maxima maybe no more than 3-4C this week ( http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Freuchie/long.html ):

ANOM2m_mean_europe.png

3) Potential. We knew we'd have to get through a more 'zonal' spell, and while many of us would probably rather have had some kind of cool zonality with a chance of snow (we may still end up with some of that in the first half of December) getting through to the MJO phase 3 mid latitude high setup without any flooding or storm risk would seem to me to be a pretty decent start to winter, especially given last winter. 

And even the flatter runs in the short term look interesting longer term - the GFS parallel for example builds a very strong vortex over Greenland, but with better WAA and a slight westward shift from 24 hours ago we're seeing it spectacularly managing to give us a cool easterly flow by D9:

gfsnh-0-216.png?18

The ECM is, if anything, worse than the GFS, yet still we see a pattern where cold air floods into central Europe and we end up with surface cold, before the next amplification takes place:

ECH1-240.GIF?23-0

I think any solution which takes us to a properly cold, blocked setup before the 10th December is probably wrong, but some interesting possibilities are opening up for December, especially with the vortex taking some serious 'heat'

npst30.png

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all,

overnight low 3c so chilly by the standards of this month. My min temp for Autumn so far remains +2.3c so still waiting on that first air frost.

Posted

If your near Inverness at least there is a pretty amazing sky as Sunrise approaches - can't get a photo sadly on a train and it's just not working on my phone at all! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

It's a sign....a crocodile in the charts. I've no idea what it's a sign of but it's there: 

attachicon.gifECM0-240.GIF

Will need to add that to NL's nature weather model Catch, not sure if we have involved a crocodile before.I agree it's definitely a sign, will defer to the wildlife experts for more thorough analysis.

Block vs Atlantic continues... Isn't it great just not to be having a zonal onslaught like last year.

ECM at day 10 cranks up the Scandi ridge to 1040, a nice stone in the pond of the net westerly momentum round the globe.

post-7292-0-08294900-1416819388_thumb.gi

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Oh my god it's Armageddon. I think I'll get oot the xmas cake and just eat it now.. would be a shame to waste it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Morning all. Well the weekend was OK. Saturday started off wet but dried up enough in the afternoon to tempt me out for a run before it got dark (that's getting increasingly difficult). Sunday looked like a glorious day, but I was in a lazy mood and never got further outside than to the bin. I blame the dog as she had an operation to remove a big fatty lump on Wed, so is not allowed further than the garden at the moment. Otherwise I'd have been forced out and wouldn't be sitting in work on a Monday morning regretting my laziness. Oh well.

Temperature dipped down to around 2C yesterday evening but was sat at 5.6C this morning at 8am. Blue skies and a low sun make it a nice drive to work, well when I wasn't squinting into the rising sun that is. Clouding over a bit now.

From a quick look through the models there doesn't appear to be much of not happening this week. All of the "big 3" (ECM, GFS, GFS-P) hint at a colder start to Dec, with the potential for snow on high ground on the 1st/2nd. Then again all the models have been flipping wildly so I wouldn't trust that far ahead. On all of the models the polar vortex varies considerably through their runs, but one thing for certain, it looks like a rather strange vortex for this time of year. Very fragmented and weak.

• Like 3

Posted

Well yesterday evening was the first day it felt like winter. A nice crisp day with a cold biting wiind. Nice to see the hills now have a wee dusting:

mainbasin.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Models continue to perk up and looking good for a chilly start to Dec all in line with many decent looking LRF's ....I'm happy with the outlook

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

When the pub run gets in about the vodka on a Monday night it doesn't mess around....

Great effort in the depths of FI tonight..

post-7292-0-22511600-1416871226_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-18698100-1416871227_thumb.pn

post-7292-0-56661100-1416871228_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-58849000-1416871229_thumb.pn

• Like 5

Posted

I think any solution which takes us to a properly cold, blocked setup before the 10th December is probably wrong, but some interesting possibilities are opening up for December, especially with the vortex taking some serious 'heat'

The snowmaggedon chart Lorenzo posted above is for the 9th  :laugh:

Possibly a case of the GFS being a bit overprogressive (it's unusual to get such a clean transition from big Atlantic trough to the northwest to a beast from the east) but you can certainly see the trend - vortex shifts eastwards only to find its route blocked by the Scandi-Arctic high to the east and a ridge over the eastern US to the west:

naefsnh-0-0-252.png?12

EDH101-240.GIF?24-0

Even if we don't quite manage something as spectacular as the pub run it at least looks as though we'll have a chance of getting some wintriness into 'nowcasting' range as we head into December.

• Like 3