Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

What a difference a few days can make at this time of year. Up in Highland Perthshire last couple of days sunshine at 20C, shorts and t shirts. Last week there was snow lying. Still plenty on the higher hills though with patches down to below 1500 feet.

Looking generally fair and mild for this week but signs of change by the weekend.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

All quiet today? Mostly sunny here again and feeling pleasant in a light Westerly at around 15C.

Noticed that at noon yesterday Arbroath and Montrose were sunny at 5C while a few miles inland at Forfar it was 17C. Just shows how an onshore breeze and recently cleared haar can impact on the temperatures.

Posted

A wee shower tonight but 90%  of the spring barley sown and over half rolled in 2 days in ideal dusty very mild conditions.Will never get used to the speed modern machines can sow the crop, what used to take 2 weeks 30 odd years ago now takes 3 days. Trying  to keep the sower supplied with seed and fertiliser and feed cattle at the same time is all a bit exhausting for a  grumpy old farmer who is feeling very pleased with progress.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Been a lovely continuation of the weekend weather.

Today promises to be even better as it's been sunny from the get go.

Don't have a weather station here but I'd guess at around 12c but feeling warmer. Should hit 17/18c here is Stirling I'd guess.

I've also noticed that Friday was forecast to be a washout a few days ago but is now pretty good, Saturday not too bad either.

Hopefully this unsettled 'blip' is just that, a short break from the sunshine :)

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Hey

It's nice out!

Fkn braw min

Big Innes

• Like 2

Posted

A wee shower tonight but 90%  of the spring barley sown and over half rolled in 2 days in ideal dusty very mild conditions.Will never get used to the speed modern machines can sow the crop, what used to take 2 weeks 30 odd years ago now takes 3 days. Trying  to keep the sower supplied with seed and fertiliser and feed cattle at the same time is all a bit exhausting for a  grumpy old farmer who is feeling very pleased with progress.

Finished sowing this morning in glorious conditions, currently 16c.

• Like 3

Posted

Back to sun after yesterday's cloudy blip. Feels like summer oot there but without the balminess. Just about perfect

Posted

We've got our webcams on Lowther Hill now  :) It was a task though, and while it seemed everybody else was in the Highlands enjoying some of the best skiing of the season, we had five days straight on the summit, drilling, cutting, fixing, wiring, testing and networking data across some of the most erratic mobile coverage in Scotland. But we're now on-line with 2 automated cameras looking down the hill across the club's ski slopes on Lowther Hill itself, powered by sunlight and communicating to the world through mobile phone masts somewhere out there. Thanks go to www.winterhighland.info whose freely given time, dedication to the task and expertise were absolutely exemplary, and of course for the Public's donations that paid for the hardware to make it possible. Over the coming weeks, we'll add the weather station for a live weather feed and extend the camera network to include a view up from the club house towards the engine hut and radome.

The camera feeds may be intermittent just now but once we have worked out the best configuration, mobile operator, location of data transceivers etc, the reliability should improve. It'll take time and pattern monitoring to do that but it's a unique installation, and I can't think of any other locations in Scotland where there are webcams running without external power. Actually, there are few webcams running across mobile networks at all really, most being hardwired to the internet so an off-grid installation like this one is pretty special, and to have one on a summit makes it even more so.

Camera linky ... http://www.skiclub.lowtherhills.com/webcams

Some pix (mostly Sunday's stunning sunset) ...https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157651735615226/

• Like 4

Posted

Another fabulous sunny day, still sowing grass seed and rolling it in in clouds of dust. Having to blow out air filters on tractor every day  a really great spell of spring weather to sow in. It was like a switch had been thrown last Sunday and the grass started to grow ,fields greened, up the cows didn"t want to come in at night and my jersey was discarded. Not enough grass yet to put cows out full time as we are in the phase of switching from winter to summer diet and inside feeding is still part of it as if you put them straight out to grass only, their stomachs cannot extract any nutrition  from it for up to 6 weeks after a change in diet. Currently 10 c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Northernlights, I love reading your posts, I've lived deep in the country all my life and my sons have worked on farms when younger, but I never realised that cows went home to bed at night lol. We don't have cows here though, just sheepies.

• Like 1

Posted

Northernlights, I love reading your posts, I've lived deep in the country all my life and my sons have worked on farms when younger, but I never realised that cows went home to bed at night lol. We don't have cows here though, just sheepies.

Its easier to give them minerals and concentrate feeding in the steading and keeps them from gorging themselves on new grass and since they have been going out every day over the winter to a row of turnips they like keeping the routine until   there is enough grass growth to go out full time. They are getting a tractor bucket of neeps spread on the grass every day.

Weather forecast; aiming to put cows and calves out full time on the 20th April. Within two days of this we will have a direct northerly with snow showers.

Very windy this morning ,mostly blue skies with some high cloud and currently 16c.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon Kilties! Sunny and now the wind is picking up a bit here. A bit of a change on the way for tomorrow though when we'll be back to our normal keech spring weather. Anyone who has been on holiday on Skye this week has landed sooooooo lucky!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Started off bright and sunny again this morning, with another slight frost still evident in the shaded bits of the back garden at 8am. Clouded over now....just in time for the weekend.

Posted

Was a very sunny few days in Stirling (no clue about an accurate temperature but maxes 17-19c I'd say.

16.3c upon my arrival back home at 4:30pm. The grass and plants have changed significantly in the last few days due almost summer like warmth.

Shame it's only the SE corner that is going to get the heat next week... Still, it's been a great few days, hopefully just a very light appetiser before we get started in 6 weeks time...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Second day of the year in which we've breached 20'C up here, a very nice (but very dry!) spring thus far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Reached 18C making it the warmest day of the year so far. Looking forward to more of this!! :)

Posted

Summers over jersey back on temperature has fallen from 5c 6.00am this morning to a current reading of 2c. The hills surrounding the Firth have fresh snow down to about 1000 feet. No dawn chorus from the birds this morning all taking shelter from the cold rain we had up to about 7.00am

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

jeez,only a few hours ago ie. after work yesterday 5pm ish, I was sitting oot oan the decking enjoying the warm Sunshine!

I am now sitting looking oot at Snaw falling!!!

Big Innes

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Ochils have their winter coat back on. Could be an interesting 24 hours.

• Like 2

Posted

A very chilly start. The wind was strong and cold air despite plentiful sunshine.

5.8c at 10am.

The wind has thankfully calmed down significantly with sunny spells. Feeling reasonable at 9.6c although not t-shirt weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

oh Aye, winter's back! Baltic oot there, strong gusts, temp was down to 3.5 this morning. Hail, sleet and snow showers off and on all morning. Come back spring, all is forgiven!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Same here!    Gales, rain, sleet, snow and a clap of thunder thrown in!   Wind has dropped considerably now though and the sun is out.

5.4c/4.4c.   Highest today was 9.3c.

post-1989-0-44531400-1428761324.txt

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Seems like a different season up there....

Been almost totally sunny all day, temp has slowly climbed up to a respectable 12.5c and is sunny.

The occasional spits of rain and there is a light cool breeze but other than that it's not far off the temperatures we had yesterday and the days before.

A good growing day...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Back to putting my coat on for going up the street, and an extra layer for gardening.

Baby tomatoes have been lapping up the sun this week... but the stove's on full bore again this evening.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3