Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Sleet showers here. Was 2.1C when I left the house at 8

Posted

Pretty heavy wintry shower rolled through still going although heaviest stuff eased off now

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Snow was starting to land when I left the house. Interesting to see what the intense band delivers tonight!

Snow was starting to land when I left the house. Interesting to see what the intense band delivers tonight!

It's going to be mild overnight N13, temps up to 10ºC in the south before the cold air returns by the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

It's going to be mild overnight N13, temps up to 10ºC in the south before the cold air returns by the morning.

Mild at 3C 8) ? Lol. But yes, I see what you mean. Then proper wintriness from tomorrow till Friday :cold:

(Is that first face thingy supposed to mean hot or have I got the wrong end of the stick again :oops: ?)

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Expecting hee haw here as per usual but Euro4 certainly hints at more widespread snow 'potential' from tomorrow evening onwards.

Posted

Sunny start with a fresh west wind and currently 0c .A covering of overnight snow with ice on any puddles.

Just the musings of a grumpy old farmer but we seem to have had a lot of cold from a westerly direction these last few months and especially now in almost April we usually need an Arctic northerly to give us lying snow and freezing temperatures. Any thoughts from those with more knowledge than me. Are sea temperatures to the west of us lower than usual?

Noticed that as well, whereas last year it was just rain and mild gunk barreling in from the West and NW. Here we have had quiter a lot of snow feeding in from West, even today, although it's very intermittent and only in Jan/Feb did it lie for any length of time. I am not 100% on this but this year there was a tripole in the Atlantic i.e. cold/warm/cold and I think it helped feed in colder NW'lys as Atlantic was relatively cooler than usual. Maybe more experienced weather bods can confirm if this is correct?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

The wind speeds on the BBC look really bad for me here, do you think they're right? I'm a wee bit northwest of SS.

Posted

So I have had snowfall in December , January, February , March and possibly April. Pity none of it lies very long, :closedeyes:  but can't have been that warm a winter.

• Like 1

Posted

Persistent rain has turned to wet snow here now :)

Here the rain has just turned to sleet in the last 5 minutes. Temp/ dew point is 3.2/0.9C and has fallen by at least 1C every hour since 2.45 when it was 7.0C

Posted

A clear demonstration there of the difference a bit of altitude makes. My house is 75 metres asl and when I left it was 3.5c on my weather station which was also the temperature on my car thermometer. It was mainly rain with a little bit of sleet mixed in. I was driving over the Crow Road that goes over the Campsies to Fintry. At the carpark which is approximately 200 metres asl it was heavy sleet or wet snow and was starting to lie a bit on wind facing surfaces and it was 2.0c. As I got to the top of the road which I think is roughly 350 metres asl  it was near blizzard conditions with lying snow and only 0.5c. All within 3 miles of my doorstep.

Edited by Blizzardo
  • Like 1

Posted

And the dew point has dropped by 1C in 10 minutes. Now 2.8/-0.1C. And its turned back to rain :nonono:

Posted

And the dew point has dropped by 1C in 10 minutes. Now 2.8/-0.1C. And its turned back to rain :nonono:

My temperature is way off that predicted by the BBC which was 6c for this time. Now down to 3.1c and back to sleet.

Posted

Very wintry feeling  cold day, spits of sleet and dull .Maximum temperature of 5c and in spite of this we are sowing spring barley into mostly dusty ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Very wintry feeling  cold day, spits of sleet and dull .Maximum temperature of 5c and in spite of this we are sowing spring barley into mostly dusty ground.

It's funny how you are (at least including last winter) frequently very dry, particularly in winter.

I've never heard of a winter where we have had dust on the ground, how's the contrast...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A pretty raw day here. Currently sleeting with flakes of wet snaw doing their best to take over and 1.9C/1C.

BST in name only!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A pretty raw day here. Currently sleeting with flakes of wet snaw doing their best to take over and 1.9C/1C.

BST in name only!

The traffic cams show snow falling at Glenogle and Tyndrum so it is not too far away from you. Just cold rain over here nearer the East coast.

• Like 1

Posted

It's funny how you are (at least including last winter) frequently very dry, particularly in winter.

I've never heard of a winter where we have had dust on the ground, how's the contrast...

We have mountains to the  south  and west of us and the prevailing winds these last two winters were southerly two winters ago and westerlies this winter.Therefore we are in the rain shadow and we have descending and warming winds off the mountains with lower humidity air.  A northerly or easterly wind associated with a depression or fronts dumps all its rain on us as we are the first high ground it meets after coming in off the Firth (eg Bertha last August warm damp air being forced to rise and cooling and giving rain sometimes heavy to us) There were some serious  dust storms between Forres and Elgin on Saturday in newly sown and rolled sandy fields but there are still low lying areas which are still holding excess water from "Bertha" and ploughing is difficult there.

Today we have watched rain in the west break up and become patchy by the time it reaches us hence we were sowing to 7.30 this evening.

Posted

Heavy cold rain this evening. You must be getting some of this by now, NL?

Yes young Mr.Northernlights came in at 9.30pm after stopping cultivating as it was finally getting a bit sticky. Currently 2.9c. As an aside this is the second spring in a row that the tractors air filters have had to be blown out nearly every day we are in the fields.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

A wintry 24 hours ahead for much of Scotland, expecting low level snow showers and a low level snowline. Ski resorts in for a good dumping, great news for those wanting some late season skiing, weekend could be a cracker with the promise of drier calmer conditions and no thaw.

• Like 5

Posted

Rannoch Moor pretty white now. Might even be top to bottom skiing at the weekend right down to the car park runs! :yahoo:

Posted

Current shower has turned to moderate wet snow.

Edit: Now intermittent heavy snow turning sleety and then back to snow.

Edited by 101_North