Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

1.7/0.4C and big flakes of wet snow currently falling. I doubt it will lie though as ground is pretty wet and not really cold enough.

Still need to walk the dog to day but the weather isn't really enticing me out, not like yesterday anyway.

Posted

After a lovely few days it's quite a contrast today. Cloudy, wet and raw-feeling at 3c. Fire is on and I won't be venturing outside again!

Posted

Muck and pish rain!

Meanwhile in Jerusalem:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=850_1424421915

All I can say is "Holy" Sheeaat!

Just shows that it's not latitude that makes the difference for cold and snow but surrounding land mass I suppose, and lack of huge warm oceans near you (looking at you Atlantic!)

Edited by grifter

Posted

Somewhere with height will be getting pasted, wouldn't like to be driving the M74 just now... Still sleet in the precipitation (judging by the windows, looks like rain to look at) and it's much heavier than before.

Fingers crossed for one last snow (certainly falling) and hopefully lying a little on Monday. Then that's the end of winter for me I think, the sun Is getting too strong for these 'marginal' set ups. We need proper uppers -8 and below to get lying snow here I'd say...

Further north and with some height you have a bit longer but all snow was lost to even quite big hills and the mountains were only white near the top by the end of play yesterday and that's with a chilly max of 5.2c (I'm basically at sea level - 15m asl or something), the sun melted it all away.

After Monday/Tuesday I'll be looking forward to summer :)

The sun only has an affect under convective showery type set ups once you hit March, under deep seated northerlies snow usually falls down to low levels and sticks easily especially at night, but when the sun comes out yes it does tend to produce a thaw.

However, the sun can has no effect under frontal snow events during Spring.. so never dismiss chance of low level snow in Scotland at least I say until mid May, indeed a stalling front crashing into cold air during March and April can deliver large totals to low levels with no melting. Many Many cases of this in the past.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Occasional moderate snaw here with some big flakes at times. Not sticking though.

T = 2.0 C

DP = 0.7 C

Think it might be sticking up Soutra, but cam is on Scotch mist mode.

EDIT

Settling M74 Beattock so likely at Soutra too.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted

The sun only has an affect under convective showery type set ups once you hit March, under deep seated northerlies snow usually falls down to low levels and sticks easily especially at night, but when the sun comes out yes it does tend to produce a thaw.

However, the sun can has no effect under frontal snow events during Spring.. so never dismiss chance of low level snow in Scotland at least I say until mid May, indeed a stalling front crashing into cold air during March and April can deliver large totals to low levels with no melting. Many Many cases of this in the past.

Yes I think it was Easter in April 1968 when we had 10 days of lying snow with nightly top ups. Only melting was on directly south facing roofs. The deep snow about 8 inches seemed to reflect a lot of the suns heat but sunburn was an issue and the contractors laying new field drains had to stop.In fact I budget for March as being a winter regime on the farm. Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

However, the sun can has no effect under frontal snow events during Spring.. so never dismiss chance of low level snow in Scotland at least I say until mid May, indeed a stalling front crashing into cold air during March and April can deliver large totals to low levels with no melting. Many Many cases of this in the past

Well yes, true. However, do we have such Synoptics predicted? Do we have any sign of -8 (and lower) uppers predicted?

Remember my post was IMBY, I don't do well from Northerlies, I get absolutely nothing from easterlies....

Even though yes, March 23/24th 2013 did deliver (it didn't lie between 11 and 3pm) we had very cold uppers in place an yet a thaw was taking place each day. I do realise that's 4/5 weeks after now, but we are reaching a point where 'marginal' set ups increasingly won't deliver.

It did turn to snow briefly here today but miles away from lying.

I'm not saying it's impossible that we will see snow between now and July. All I'm saying is the sun now has much increased strength, during the warmest part of the day snow will thaw (unless we import proper cold uppers) and as a result my thoughts are turning to summer.

I personally believe IMBY that winter is over here after Tuesday for another year (snow wise). I'd loved to be proved wrong but there are little signs of proper cold in the models and that takes us well into March.

This winter has been good here for snow and has been fairly cold. I'm happy with that.

I'm sure we'll be buried in 10ft of snow by next week now ;)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Miserable day, some of which spent at the Celtic v Hamilton game, where I had to bail out of my seat near the front because of the horizontal rain. Soaked and freezing.

Paying for those dry few weeks we had here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Came down the A9 today after a visit to an ex colleague in Westhill [inverness]. Supposed to be this morning but had a Macallan or two too many last night. Some snow at side of road at the Slocht but surprisingly clear in the Spey valley. Not so clear at Drummochter though with with some snow on the road and a good few inches at the side. Snow to lower levels South of Drummochter with a covering to South of Dunkeld. Sleety rain mostly from there though my  daughter said they had some snow in the higher parts of Dundee earlier though not sticking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Snowing here in Falkirk, not sticking on wet ground though.

Posted

Well yes, true. However, do we have such Synoptics predicted? Do we have any sign of -8 (and lower) uppers predicted?

Remember my post was IMBY, I don't do well from Northerlies, I get absolutely nothing from easterlies....

Even though yes, March 23/24th 2013 did deliver (it didn't lie between 11 and 3pm) we had very cold uppers in place an yet a thaw was taking place each day. I do realise that's 4/5 weeks after now, but we are reaching a point where 'marginal' set ups increasingly won't deliver.

It did turn to snow briefly here today but miles away from lying.

I'm not saying it's impossible that we will see snow between now and July. All I'm saying is the sun now has much increased strength, during the warmest part of the day snow will thaw (unless we import proper cold uppers) and as a result my thoughts are turning to summer.

I personally believe IMBY that winter is over here after Tuesday for another year (snow wise). I'd loved to be proved wrong but there are little signs of proper cold in the models and that takes us well into March.

This winter has been good here for snow and has been fairly cold. I'm happy with that.

I'm sure we'll be buried in 10ft of snow by next week now ;)

Fair enough, but I disagree on calling off chances of any snow again this side of summer even to lowland Dumfries...

As we know cold synoptics can occur out of the blue especially in Spring courtesy of switcharounds, indeed we are far more likely to see 'cold' synoptics in March-April i.e. northerlies and easterlies than at any stage in the winter, because there is usually much less energy in the Jetstream.

I remember 2008 very well, early March no sign of anything cold on the horizon, then a major switcharound in time for easter - a snowy northerly out of the blue that delivered the goods.

Posted

Fair enough, but I disagree on calling off chances of any snow again this side of summer even to lowland Dumfries...

As we know cold synoptics can occur out of the blue especially in Spring courtesy of switcharounds, indeed we are far more likely to see 'cold' synoptics in March-April i.e. northerlies and easterlies than at any stage in the winter, because there is usually much less energy in the Jetstream.

I remember 2008 very well, early March no sign of anything cold on the horizon, then a major switcharound in time for easter - a snowy northerly out of the blue that delivered the goods.

Let's hope so :)

I understand what you are saying, perhaps my initial post was poorly worded. I wasn't trying to say the sun is too strong for snow to fall or lie.

Just that these frequent, potent NWlys (a theme of this winter) are becoming the wrong side of marginal now unless we can import some proper (-8 and below 850s) cold in.

It is that time of year that can tease us into thinking spring is here and then boom it's snowy and cold. However, it does feel like we are crawling out of winter here, for example yesterday reached 5.6c and felt fine in the sun. If that had occurred 4 weeks ago, it would have been 4c at best and would have felt far colder in a weak, insignificant sun.

I'm personally starting to look forward to the summer, long days, sunshine and the associated 5 month holiday that I have coming up (April to September excluding May exams). Ok, what I really mean is midges, rain, very humid, sun is up by 4:30am so I can't sleep, hayfever.....

So yes a cold block could set up or a really potent northerly but as things stand time is ticking and frankly, I'm happy for winter to be over. I got lucky (wish I was here to see it) and had 7 inches of snow as the NWly was the right side of marginal but I feel we need something more special now to deliver widespread snowfall to low levels

• Like 1

Posted

Snow cover here and had some showers but it's nowt special in the slightest, will see what tonight/tomorrow brings

For what it's worth, my Avatar picture was taken on April 1st 2010 following a 36 hour blizzard which gave us 2 foot plus and drifts blocking all local roads. I'll give it another month and then I'll be joining you to welcome in the warmth SW :)

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 1

Posted

Snow cover here and had some showers but it's nowt special in the slightest, will see what tonight/tomorrow brings

For what it's worth, my Avatar picture was taken on April 1st 2010 following a 36

hour blizzard which gave us 2 foot plus and drifts blocking all local roads. I'll give it another month and then I'll be joining you to welcome in the warmth SW :)

Yes, you have a location where winter can still bite a fair bit into 'spring'. If the ECM were to verify you may see more (I suspect transient unfortunately) snow in the next 10 days.

If I had the money I'd book myself a trip to the Alps, lovely warm sunshine by now (especially with the reflection of the snow) and with plentiful snow.... I can dream.

Shame I'm quite busy at uni in March/early April as a trip to the Cairngorms could be just as good by then, I'm fairly confident they'll be able to ski well into the spring up there... Another good year :)

• Like 1

Posted

Evidence on the ground of the lightest of snow showers overnight. Looks like we should see some showers later so we'll see what happens. Forecast does not really inspire confidence.

Edited by 101_North

Posted

Covering of slushy snow here. Will need to be some prolonged showers later for the snow to stick I would of thought..