Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Morning all,

Scraped an air frost last night with a min of -0.1c. While this winter hasn't delivered any snow here (to date) there has been plenty of sunshine. I'd rate it quite highly on that basis alone.

Edited by Hawesy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Wet windy damp blustery rain sunshine chilly and weirdly quite icy....getting it all this morning except snow

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
double post

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Beautiful start to the day once more... It's going to be a shame when the rain and cloud come back in.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

My Ski trip up north begins on Saturday. Blue skies and powder by the looks of it. However we have this horrible 36 hour mild spell to get through, overnight and up to midnight on Wednesday. The rain will revert to snow on Thursday. So whatever they lose lower down should be replaced in theory!

Saturdays high at 3000ft is -6c! :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

My Ski trip up north begins on Saturday. Blue skies and powder by the looks of it. However we have this horrible 36 hour mild spell to get through, overnight and up to midnight on Wednesday. The rain will revert to snow on Thursday. So whatever they lose lower down should be replaced in theory!

Saturdays high at 3000ft is -6c! :closedeyes:

Got back from Ft. William yesterday after 4nts there. Friday morning the gondola was on hold due to wind so after picking up the wee man's ski hire gear we disappeared off to do some shopping and get lunch rather than hang around. Got a half day skiing on Friday afternoon but visibility was poor. Clear up to about half way up the quad chair, misty at top of quad and abysmal on the one trip I made to top of goose T-bar. Saturday was much better and we got a whole day in, but top of hill largely still in the cloud.

Piste conditions were variable. Most runs were complete, but thin and narrow in places. Friday the snow stayed quite hard but Saturday it softened up and was much better for it. Higher runs on Sat stayed hard though, but skiable down certain lines where it had seen enough traffic.

I stayed on the lower blues with the wife and son for the most part but managed to sneak off for a few runs off the goose. Sunday was another windy day so the gondola either didn't get running or closed very early.

Overall it was a good trip. Would have been nice to get at least 2 full days but that's Scotland for you. Best thing about it is the wee man is getting good quickly, now zooming down lumpy and/or icy blue runs. Not bad considering he only really started to learn in France at the new year.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3

Posted

Ravelin it sounds like you had a reasonable wee trip. I always go on these expecting the worst so any skiing is a bonus. I have been lucky in the past and managed to ski Coe/Nevis/Cairngorm and Shee all in one 5 day trip with one half day washout. I suppose it's really the wind that stops uplift! The wind is due to pick up on Sunday! :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Yesterday saw much improved snow at Nevis after a fall overnight and quite a few heavy showers through the day, we were there on Saturday too and it was a bit firm.  Planned on heading up there today but the pesky wind got in the way again.  Hopefully once tomorrow's damp squib passes the slopes will be good for this weekend.  The winds are looking better for Saturday, fingers and toes crossed.

Ravelin it sounds like you had a reasonable wee trip. I always go on these expecting the worst so any skiing is a bonus. I have been lucky in the past and managed to ski Coe/Nevis/Cairngorm and Shee all in one 5 day trip with one half day washout. I suppose it's really the wind that stops uplift! The wind is due to pick up on Sunday! :closedeyes:

And by Monday I doubt anyone will be ski-ing in Scotland. Should be cold enough for plenty more snow at altitude though, could be a good late season for the hills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Aye...it's looking a bit fresh Monday morning

post-18260-0-21860400-1424213227_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Got back from Ft. William yesterday after 4nts there. Friday morning the gondola was on hold due to wind so after picking up the wee man's ski hire gear we disappeared off to do some shopping and get lunch rather than hang around. Got a half day skiing on Friday afternoon but visibility was poor. Clear up to about half way up the quad chair, misty at top of quad and abysmal on the one trip I made to top of goose T-bar. Saturday was much better and we got a whole day in, but top of hill largely still in the cloud.

Piste conditions were variable. Most runs were complete, but thin and narrow in places. Friday the snow stayed quite hard but Saturday it softened up and was much better for it. Higher runs on Sat stayed hard though, but skiable down certain lines where it had seen enough traffic.

I stayed on the lower blues with the wife and son for the most part but managed to sneak off for a few runs off the goose. Sunday was another windy day so the gondola either didn't get running or closed very early.

Overall it was a good trip. Would have been nice to get at least 2 full days but that's Scotland for you. Best thing about it is the wee man is getting good quickly, now zooming down lumpy and/or icy blue runs. Not bad considering he only really started to learn in France at the new year.

We took the kids up Anoch Mor on the Gondola last Thursday. They loved it. We're not skiers (Yet) so we just walked up to the nearest viewpoint and played in the snow away from the runs. I managed to humiliate myself trying to get to the viewpoint as you have to cross the drag lift run which was a sheet of ice. I had to go down on my knees to get across while hubby and kids pretended they didn't know me. Was also sneared at by a grumpy middle aged man in silly luminous yellow ski jacket. Still it was worth it for the view.

:)

post-22904-0-75044400-1424241239_thumb.j

• Like 4

Could be up 100mm of rain in Western Highlands today.

Aye, Euro4 is going for up to 80mm. Certainly not enough for a yellow warning for them, they're hardcore up there :D

Posted

It's 10c here....! Yesterday there was a slight dusting of snow on the verges at Leadburn as I headed into work. Today, I've got the windows open.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Who turned the season dial straight to summer? It was over 10C when I left the house at 8am this morning and currently a sunny 12C in Dyce (and feeling warmer than that).

Posted

There's already been an inch of rain at the Summit of Meall a' Bhuiridh. Hardy souls sliding up there today (or all goretex'd up!)... The water content of the base snow will have taken a big increase, base will set up even more bombproof as a result and it should ultimately mean some point hopefully a long way down the line some fantastic spring snow! 

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

15.6C at Fyvie Castle this afternoon, warmest day of the Winter for Scotland (and this year UK)

Nice Fohn Effect

Edited by Jo Farrow
  • Like 3

Posted

Very soporific weather today warm sunshine strong SW wind and 13c. Crocuses bursting into flower. Everything drying up nicely but sheep doing the four feet off the ground jumps so even they know the weather is going to change.You would imagine that they would just lay in the sun but they are very agitated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Very soporific weather today warm sunshine strong SW wind and 13c. Crocuses bursting into flower. Everything drying up nicely but sheep doing the four feet off the ground jumps so even they know the weather is going to change.You would imagine that they would just lay in the sun but they are very agitated.

Sheep around here are just lolling around. I thought it was just lambs that did those silly jumps?

Really mild and windy today, this morning was almost spring-like. Miserably drizzly now though.

• Like 1

Posted

We took the kids up Anoch Mor on the Gondola last Thursday. They loved it. We're not skiers (Yet) so we just walked up to the nearest viewpoint and played in the snow away from the runs. I managed to humiliate myself trying to get to the viewpoint as you have to cross the drag lift run which was a sheet of ice. I had to go down on my knees to get across while hubby and kids pretended they didn't know me. Was also sneared at by a grumpy middle aged man in silly luminous yellow ski jacket. Still it was worth it for the view.

I hope you gave him a big cheesy smile.  There is no need for being precious up the hills they are for everyone to enjoy/ skite over.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Was at the Eskdalemuir observatory today on a trip with the university getting shown the different Met Office instruments as well as the seismic and geomagnetic instruments. It got as high as 6.5C in the afternoon and was very windy. It felt really cold though. Drizzly and very misty with visibility at 300 metres.

Half an hour ago it was 9.0C here.

Posted

Wow so many toys out prams in the various winter related threads on NW.  Seems everyone wants exceptional winters these days.  Too much moaning and not enough banter makes NW very dull.  You'd think it was the end of the world the way some are banging on. They sound like a bunch of spoilt weans. Wee shame so it is  :80:  :80:

• Like 2

Posted

Least the weather is living up again after the start of Feburary Borefest.

Bot of rain last night with a few showers today. Little bit of a breeze to go with it