Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Today's 12z ECM has decided enough's enough of HP after about four days and sinks it into Europe, leaving us a lot more unsettled but a long way from the depths of winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Somebody could have warned me the kitchen/units/worktop permutations now would appear to be in the millions....lovely weather day but feeling far chillier than the 10c thermometer reading

Posted

Nice day for a walk at Haddo House Country Park today. Wall to wall sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Hi guys...what a simply stunning photo on Cheggars post earlier.....the sunset last night as I walked home from work had me standing looking in awe of Mother Nature ...truly beautiful. Unfortunately I only had my iPad to hand so my pictures are not up to the standard of some others I've seen.

Interestingly my paper had a column today promising a big freeze for Valentines Day and Scotland having the coldest February for 5 years?? Really...have I misread the charts for this week?

Looking quite cloudy this week for the most part...

post-18260-0-49594600-1423437354_thumb.jpost-18260-0-84589900-1423437371_thumb.j

Edited by DR(S)NO
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Somebody could have warned me the kitchen/units/worktop permutations now would appear to be in the millions....lovely weather day but feeling far chillier than the 10c thermometer reading

We did the kitchen thing a couple of years ago. Ms HC couldn't be arsed with all the sales crap so left muggins to deal with the smarmy fks who thought they were so clever. Still, at least I got to choose some new toys. Induction...

Was out splitting wood in the sunshine this afternoon, feeling some warmth in the rays again - and today the sun just made it in the kitchen window again for the first time since autumn.

• Like 1

Posted

You would think that despite a week (and counting) of dry weather that the ground would start drying up by now.............but it ain't (it's because of all the salt that was put down during the snow) it's a mudfest big time out there. Need rain to clear this (possibly some by friday but how much remains uncertain)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Blue sky start to the day here and virtually calm. Slight frost this morning with the temp at 8am just above freezing.

Blue sky start to the day here and virtually calm. Slight frost this morning with the temp at 8am just above freezing.

We had a thick frost here this morning and the temp was nowhere near freezing. We're not long back from a walk up at Bowmont Forest with the dogs. It was a glorious walk, blue skies, bright sunshine, feeling warm in the sun but still very cold in the shade with a lot of ice and snow underfoot. I'm hoping the snow is "doing a NL" and waiting around for some more snow down the line. It'll take several days if not a week or more for the snow to melt in the shade & shelter up there. We're still grimly hanging onto a few crusty ice granules of snow in our back garden. Not bad considering it fell days and days ago and it's not exactly been cold, it's currently 9.0ºC here.

Models not too promising this morning, we'll need a late Feb or March blast now to save this winter from being fairly quickly forgettable. It does feel a little like a few previous Febs I can remember when we've had late cold spells, 06, 10 and 13 spring to mind, but that's almost defo me hoping for cold rather than anything scientific.

Posted

Afternoon all,

Back from a weekend in Amsterdam. Was cold on Friday over there with temps around freezing all day. The previous day's snow had melted though - knew I was coming. :p

Back home it's a stunning spring February day. 10c/3c under bright sunny skies.

Posted

9.9C in Dyce at 1pm.

You know, I'd not object to a cold, wintry blast for the end of Feb or into March, but now that the days are getting noticeably longer again, part of me kind of yearns for it staying a little on the warmer side (as long as that doesn't mean wet) to tempt me back outside more often.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

9.9C in Dyce at 1pm.

You know, I'd not object to a cold, wintry blast for the end of Feb or into March, but now that the days are getting noticeably longer again, part of me kind of yearns for it staying a little on the warmer side (as long as that doesn't mean wet) to tempt me back outside more often.

Yes I agree. After a month of roads too icy for cycling, I'm getting back out and don't want to be grounded again. Still want more snow though... :cc_confused:

Posted

9c outside but I've a heavier jacket on than last week when it was actually cold! Amazing the difference damp air and a slight wind makes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Gorgeous day here after an early frost. Max of 10.4C made it the warmest day and first double figures since 10th Jan. Currently 4.3C but already grass and paths beginning to sparkle with frost.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

10.4C was the high today. The last couple of days have been a lot sunnier than I thought they would be. On the 21.55 BBC forecast the cloud looked a little bit further east tomorrow, covering Grangemouth but not as far as Edinburgh. But obviously that is a guess because it is very hard to predict where cloud is exactly in this kind of set up. The breeze from the west looks as if it is going to prevent frosts here as it has the last couple of nights.

Edited by GrangemouthBairn

Posted

Temp sat at -1.5C at the moment, lower than forecast. Let's see how low it gets.

Posted

You would think that despite a week (and counting) of dry weather that the ground would start drying up by now.............but it ain't (it's because of all the salt that was put down during the snow) it's a mudfest big time out there. Need rain to clear this (possibly some by friday but how much remains uncertain)

Been thinking about that the last couple of days. I've always wondered why the streets in Edinburgh always seem wet in the winter even when it hasn't rained for a few days but the paths in Edinburgh seem to get gritted as soon as temperatures go below 10C.

5.8C, so looks like the third night in a row it won't go below 5C as I don't see it getting any lower than that with the breeze that is outside. Can't be too often where it is this breezy at such high pressure. It's just that this high pressure block has been so high that the isobars are getting tight below 1035ha. 1033.0hPa now.

Edited by GrangemouthBairn
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

Clear skies, overnight low 1.5c here in Crail, 0.4c at Leuchars. Hopefully another sunny day on the cards.

Posted

Overnight low of 5.2C. Currently 6.0C. Completely cloudy and feeling much colder than recent days.

Posted

Overnight low of 5.2C. Currently 6.0C. Completely cloudy and feeling much colder than recent days.

Completely the opposite here, bright and sunny with only the gentlest of breezes. Overnight low hit -4.5C, which was 4.5C below the forecast 0C, so an early frost.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Well had a fantastic days skiing on Sunday at the Coe. Managed every run other than Rannoch Glades. The bottom access runs were in great shape. Off to Nevis Range tomorrow hoping for more of the same. There is a breakdown being talked about at the weekend. I just hope it's not too mild as it would be a shame to lose all the snow on the lower slopes. I have another 4 day ski trip at the end of the month. It's not clear if there will be any snow after the thaw between the 15th and 18th!

Posted

Hope the mods let this post stay here, or even suggest a forum where I can place a thread for it on netweather, to give it a bit more exposure.

Anyway, some of you may be aware that we've already erected a fixed ski tow and engine on Lowther Hill in the South of Scotland and just waiting on a few bits from the fabricators, but we're itching to get it tested. We've had no 'public money', no grants, no awards. Just donations, gifts and untold hours of hard graft from about a dozen or so volunteers over the last 8 months to make it happen.

Right now though, we're doing a crowd funder so that we can commission http://www.winterhighland.info/weather/ the undisputed master of (reliable) Scottish mountain webcams and weather stations, to provide us our own installation near the summit. We're looking to get enough weather geeks, ski freaks, and webcam peepers to cough up a few quid to get this installed ASAP, and if we do go over our goal, any leftovers will help us buy a few more metres of portable snow fencing so there's something white to look at after the Atlantic tries to do its usual trick of blasting it all off the hills.

This is part of Weardale's power generation provision for the set-up at their volunteer run club in the English Pennines ... 11l0o00.jpg

I've used 'justgiving' as most of us in the UK know & trust the site, and it only takes a minute to stick in your card details and contribute a bit towards something that everybody on this forum will get a benefit from.

Really grateful if you can contribute. Linky below.  :)

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 5