Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I admire you for even checking the possibility :D

Straws and clutching!

Bathgate-

Tuesday (03 February 2015) 0900 1000 1100 1200 1300 1400 1500 1600 1700 1800 1900 2000 2100 2200 2300Sunny day Sunny day Sunny day Sunny intervals Cloudy Overcast Light snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Richard it shows how ridiculous that carbunkle award is! Aberdeen is a great city. I was there in September last year, so I don't know what the judges saw. I can think of at least 20 other towns that should get the award including my own of Maddiston!

Completely off topic (but in here that's sort of expected at times), but I have mixed feelings about Aberdeen. In general I like the architecture, especially the older stuff. But, in common with many other places in the UK, it also suffers with some of the more modern stuff just being out of place. Some concrete/glass/steel structure that might look great in isolation can just look completely out of character sat in the middle of Victorian era granite buildings for example. I also think Aberdeen can feel a bit grimy and neglected at times.

• Like 2

Posted

WS was reading -9c at 6.30am and it dipped to -10c as I was driving into Penicuik just beyond Eddleston. By the time I arrived it was a balmy -1c!

We still have snow cover, like Mardatha says, birds are starving and I've had my winter pal, the black pheasant, in the garden permanently for almost a week now. He just goes under the bush when we go out to put feed out and he's back out before we are even in the back door. 

Posted

November13 talks about straws and clutching well here goes :D

Bit of an extension in the warnings for parts of the East Coast. Latest warning has showers penetrating slightly further inland than yesterdays warning. For example Edinburgh and West Lothian now covered by the warning whereas yesterday it was just East Lothian. Can't see anything to get excited about but I guess the possibility must be there. Euro4 offers little hope of anything other than a passing shower.

Edited by 101_North

Here's a few snaps from our crunchy walk up at the Beaumont Forest. It's amazing what a wee bit of height and a lot of shelter can do for snow cover:

post-2844-0-71357800-1422963742_thumb.jppost-2844-0-29468300-1422963780_thumb.jppost-2844-0-13012100-1422963816_thumb.jp

post-2844-0-23957500-1422963849_thumb.jppost-2844-0-52955100-1422963881_thumb.jp

I'm not convinced that lowland areas will see much snow, the warning seems to be for ground above 100m only :(

Lowest temperatures recorded through last night into this morning through the whole of Scotland,

Cairngorm Mountains -12c

Aonach -10c

Symington -10c

Loch Glascarnoch -9c

Dunblane North of Stirling -9c

Dalwhinnie -9c

Eskdalemuir -9c

Cannich -8c

Kingussie -8c

Nethybridge -8c

Carrbridge -8c

Aonach Mor -8c

Glasgow Airport -7c

Tulloch Bridge -7c

Ardno -7c

Greenock -7c

Newton Mearns East Renfrewshire -7c

Bathgate -7c

Hawick -7c

Corlae -7c

Oban -6c

Fort William -6c

Fort Augustus -6c

Glenlivet -6c

Saint Andrew's Crescent -6c

Milngavie -6c

Motherwell -6c

West Freugh -6c

Dumfries -6c

Dalry -6c

Crieff -6c

Edited by weathermaster
  • Like 2

Posted

I'm not convinced that lowland areas will see much snow, the warning seems to be for ground above 100m only :(

I'm not convinced full stop LOL

Posted

That band of snow has finally stopped in Aberdeen, it appears. Was pretty heavy & steady... but also looked pretty wet snow as well. Just slush in city centre, but higher areas may have a covering. We'll see if any showers follow on.

Posted

Raining in Eyemouth...ok it's on the coast but not good! :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

That band of snow has finally stopped in Aberdeen, it appears. Was pretty heavy & steady... but also looked pretty wet snow as well. Just slush in city centre, but higher areas may have a covering. We'll see if any showers follow on.

Not looking like much shower activity on the radar. Quick look at my cam at home shows that any snow that had lain earlier from this mornings band of snow is well on it's way to melting again (street earlier looked white, now it looks slushy at best). Anything over the higher ground will probably hold for a bit but overall it's been very underwhelming (story of the winter so far for the NE).

Not looking like much shower activity on the radar. Quick look at my cam at home shows that any snow that had lain earlier from this mornings band of snow is well on it's way to melting again (street earlier looked white, now it looks slushy at best). Anything over the higher ground will probably hold for a bit but overall it's been very underwhelming (story of the winter so far for the NE).

Cast your mind back to a classic film from my childhood, "The Neverending Story"...and then sign the theme tune changed to "The Underwhelming Story" and that's what a lot of us are feeling!! Sorry, it's all going a bit random these days :nonono:

Edit: The 06z GFS is awesome, if you like high pressure. I can't remember the last time that I've looked at a whole run right out to the end and it has the country under HP. Talk about a dominant high!!!

Light sleety rainy stuff with the odd snowflake thrown in here. Hmmm. I feel a week away from weather watching coming up, for my own sanity and to avoid spamming nonsense for days on end.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

For those in the NW or west (away from the coast) this winter has provided a couple of decent snow events but 'underwhelming' sums it up for many easties so far I think. 

As for the warning I stopped reading at "Rain and sleet is more likely near exposed coasts"  :laugh:

Still, on the positive side, 25 days until the end of winter...massive Spring snowstorm anyone?

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 6

Posted

Is it phantom snow in West lothian/Edinburgh. Can someone confirm looks like a heavy blob in Linlithgow?

Is it phantom snow in West lothian/Edinburgh. Can someone confirm looks like a heavy blob in Linlithgow?

By the standards of this winter we've just had a massive fall of snow. Five minutes of really heavy, proper snow which was starting to settle. Then it stopped. And melted. It was awesome while it lasted though, I forgot how much I love proper heavy snow and that's saying something :D :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Something of a Moray firth streamer affecting the Inverness area at the moment, moderate / heavy snow showers forming in a slack flow. Couple inches here.

• Like 1

Posted

Total phantom here anyway. Raintoday shows it right overhead - nothing happening.

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Some cloud appeared but nothing falling from it :)

• Like 1

Posted

Some cloud appeared but nothing falling from it :)

The gods are toying with us now! :pardon:

• Like 2

Posted

Heavy snow shower in Aberdeen.

Yeah sun lowering and temperature falling so shower came in good time for the snow to lie, although slushy in the city centre.

Radar showing 'light' precipitation but that shower was moderate / occasionally heavy at times.

I'd anticipate scattered flurries into tonight with a light covering at best

Edited by Zerouali lives