Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Well I can say something which maybe makes the winter sound harsher than it is. I have had lying snow in every month of winter, so far? Still got some in the back garden today!

The fact the METO have removed the warning means that we might get some snow tomorrow! LOL :fool:

That's how frustrating this winter has been, we've been close but no cigar. In the last two and a bit weeks I've had snow on my grass for a total of about nine days, sounds like it's been a right good cold spell when I put it like that! The thick dusting which fell on Wednesday night into Thursday morning has partly survived despite being rained on twice, this is down to how sheltered my back garden is as almost everywhere else round here has lost their snow. I think if we don't get a good dump of snow soon then we can all have a wee whinge and moan, justifiably.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well, those of a nervous disposition best not look! The rest of us can just cry!

:cray: http://firstwebcam.com/rochester/live-webcams-park-avenue

• Like 1

Posted

Awww what are you doing to us?

I'm not suffering alone!! :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

METO / BBC going for a good 5 hours of heavy snow here tomorrow morning followed by some heavy snow showers through the day, fingers crossed!

Was out at Craggie earlier - really goes to show just how unlucky Inverness was in just missing the precipitation over the last couple of days!

Posted

Soon as the sun has dipped the temperatures have dropped like a stone (still got a bit of light) going to be cold out there tonight brrr!

I'm not suffering alone!! :p

I was making myself sad earlier remembering the snow we got back in 2013...and 2010...and 2006...and 1996!! Too much torture this, isn't it?

Posted

Well I can say something which maybe makes the winter sound harsher than it is. I have had lying snow in every month of winter, so far? Still got some in the back garden today!

The fact the METO have removed the warning means that we might get some snow tomorrow! LOL :fool:

Its exactly the same here with the semi permanent snow line about a thousand feet which I can see close by in all directions. Its an improvement on last year when it was about two thousand five hundred feet and so the trend is good.Loads more frosts here than last winter too and today the ground is iron hard. Never had to drive very far to see lying snow and views from the fields have always been wintry with snow just a few miles inland from the coast The grass has been burnt with the bare frosts and is now brown/yellow which too adds to the frozen wintry landscape and we are now feeding the sheep hay and turnips as there is no fresh green grass.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

I was making myself sad earlier remembering the snow we got back in 2013...and 2010...and 2006...and 1996!! Too much torture this, isn't it?

Well Catch, it may not be over just yet.   Quite good 12z runs.   Unfortunately though, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them!   We just have to wait and see if just once this winter they don't change direction! :)

Well Catch, it may not be over just yet.   Quite good 12z runs.   Unfortunately though, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them!   We just have to wait and see if just once this winter they don't change direction! :)

The ECM is reasonable, the high bumps around for a week and then sinks sufficiently to let the cold westerlies back in. I wish the build towards Greenland at about +144 had kept going and not been flattened out again. Far worse patterns to be stuck in, but we're still looking at "potential" rather than anything mouthwatering coming off.

Posted

-4.8deg here already. Wonder how low it will go?

I noticed that the temp bottomed out after I went to work this morning at -6.1.

Doesn't seem to have been that much of a thaw today. South facing grass showing a good bit of green but everything else still a couple inches deep.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Was at a talk this evening at edinburgh uni from someone who works as a weather forecaster at the Met Office. It was very interesting and he put up a run of the Mogreps-Global model for Edinburgh. He summarised it by saying tonight would be cold and dry, temperatures about -2/-3. Tomorrow would be cold but cloudy with a chance of snow flurries in the afternoon from that decaying band that's moving south. The rest of this week as well as the weekend would be dry and cold. There were signs at the start of next week of the high pressure slipping west and slghtly further south with Atlantic mobility gradually asserting itself, turning a bit milder. He then said there were some members amplifying the high to the west around midmonth which would lead to further northerly outbreaks in the second half of February. But that is obviously a long way off. Feel quite special that I've seen a run of mogreps ensembles!

-3.3/-6.9C just now in Grangemouth

Edited by GrangemouthBairn
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Was at a talk this evening at edinburgh uni from someone who works as a weather forecaster at the Met Office. It was very interesting and he put up a run of the Mogreps-Global model for Edinburgh. He summarised it by saying tonight would be cold and dry, temperatures about -2/-3. Tomorrow would be cold but cloudy with a chance of snow flurries in the afternoon from that decaying band that's moving south. The rest of this week as well as the weekend would be dry and cold. There were signs at the start of next week of the high pressure slipping west and slghtly further south with Atlantic mobility gradually asserting itself, turning a bit milder. He then said there were some members amplifying the high to the west around midmonth which would lead to further northerly outbreaks in the second half of February. But that is obviously a long way off. Feel quite special that I've seen a run of mogreps ensembles!

-3.3/-6.9C just now in Grangemouth

Did you see how many members did this?, I actually think this is our only route to a mid month cold spell, given the Stratosphere and MJO composites.

It is backed up by the ECM 240 mean to a certain extent.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted

-6.3C here so its looking like another night below -10C. Brief light snow shower earlier today and a max of -1.5C. Expecting a top-up to the cover with the showers forecast to reach here for morning. Local lochs frozen over again and with a covering of snow on top of them, there are a few bonnie scenes.

Enjoyed the last of today's light stretching the legs (and the dog's) down the road at Daviot

post-12555-0-43031100-1422912109_thumb.j

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Snowing heavily here now and has been for the past hour or so. :)

Good to read that. Perhaps not another false alarm on the north coast. Currently a steady 0C, partly cloudy, a slightly gusty south-westerly breeze - and a power cut! Looking forward to waking up to the snow and a cold cottage... The last of my back up psu disappearing quickly so farewell friends!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Snowing heavily here now and has been for the past hour or so. :)

Nobody likes a show off :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

I quite like the look of the feature brewing off the Norwegian coast and heading south-westerly:

http://www.sat24.com/en/scan?ir=true

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A rather warm -3.0C here by comparison. Snow tomorrow? It's forecast but I'll just have to wait and see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Front looks like breaking up quite easily so hold out little hope for anything this far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

Did you see how many members did this?, I actually think this is our only route to a mid month cold spell, given the Stratosphere and MJO composites.

It is backed up by the ECM 240 mean to a certain extent.

No. He basically put four graphs of ensembles up. One was for 2m temperatures, one for cloud cover, one for wind speed and can't remember what the other one was. He didn't show the actual synoptics for each run. But from the 2m temperatures, you could see the mean increased by a couple of degrees from about next Monday but that there were some, maybe about 3 which were significantly colder than the mean throughout. It was difficult to see how many exactly because the graph was quite small and I was near the back of the room. But he did use Friday 13th as an example of how ensembles can vary at longer timescales. He said for that day it was most likely to be 2C but could be anything between 6C and -10C going by that run. Not sure if that was daytime temperatures or not.

Now -5.1/-7.4C and have just broken my record for coldest temp since I got my weather station as it did go down to -5.3C. So probably the coldest night of the winter so far.

Edited by GrangemouthBairn