Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

It's probably more of a warning for ice rather than snow as I dont think its likely snow showers will make it across the Grampians. The only reason for such a widespread warning for snow is perhaps a small possibility of a polar low making an appearance.

Less of the pessimistic attitude AWT! We will get at least three polar lows in the next five days. No, I haven't taken my medication today but I'm NOT crazy :rofl:

Posted

Too many mentions of rain and sleet in the latest warning to merit any enthusiasm lol

Not to mention the temp which is 2c above the forecast.

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

It's probably more of a warning for ice rather than snow as I dont think its likely snow showers will make it across the Grampians. The only reason for such a widespread warning for snow is perhaps a small possibility of a polar low making an appearance.

It's snowing heavily across the northern Highlands now, the wind is due to pick up even more and the air is getting colder both high up and at the surface. I wouldn't want to build you up too much but I'd say it's looking good for this northerly to deliver.

Damn has that just screwed it up... :oops:

Lol, BBC talking about 'atrocious conditions', ' :yahoo: blizzards', :yahoo: :yahoo: etc 

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Been in dundee for an hour and seen 2 small snow showers....not heavy enough to lie but was dry snow....I remain unconvinced will see anything heavy enough for a couple of cms covering but you never know...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

It looks as though the next week or so should be quite useable.....some wintery showers around the periphery of the country ......perhaps some activity early Tuesday morning....but predominantly dry for most,I think.

Question is will we see some good winter sunshine?

Certainly the first week of February promises plenty of sharp,frosty mornings...nice and seasonal.

I've decided I don't mind scraping the car window........crazy really😜....but last winter ?? I only scraped the car twice in November 2013!?

post-18260-0-80576200-1422715446_thumb.jpost-18260-0-36666800-1422715460_thumb.jpost-18260-0-41695500-1422715487_thumb.jpost-18260-0-55820200-1422715504_thumb.jpost-18260-0-15340400-1422715517_thumb.jpost-18260-0-94699500-1422715534_thumb.jpost-18260-0-51680500-1422715545_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

I can't really understand how there can be a snow warning for Falkirk for today and tomorrow but when I look at the MO forecast today just shows sun and cloud and tomorrow is a full sun day all day.

Posted

Wet windy dull.dark and 2c. Thoroughly miserable morning though can see the snowline at about 800 feet just to the south.

Just in after finishing the cattle in driving snow with temperature of 0.3c. We are white again after this 20 minute shower.Looks like more coming in off the Firth on the strong NW wind

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I assume everyone else is seeing the traffic Scotland cams stuck on pics from just after midnight last night?

• Like 1

Posted

I could actually see that on the radar earlier - the showers dissipating over the hills to the North of here, I don't think I've ever seen a pure Northerly deliver snow here apart from the few flakes left of the showers as they crossed the hills. Oh well spose can't complain as the NW delivered and they usually don't give us much either.

Posted

It's snowing heavily across the northern Highlands now, the wind is due to pick up even more and the air is getting colder both high up and at the surface. I wouldn't want to build you up too much but I'd say it's looking good for this northerly to deliver.

Damn has that just screwed it up... :oops:

Lol, BBC talking about 'atrocious conditions', ' :yahoo: blizzards', :yahoo: :yahoo: etc 

Be nice to see a few get through but would think a pure Northerly wouldn't bring too much through here. I think there actually was a few potent showers from the North here in 2010/11 but not anything significant.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

If there is such a thing as a dry wind that's it. To be honest it didnt even feel that cold. Looking at radar there is scattered showers in the north and nothing else. Not that cold and not that exciting at the moment. So much for the beast from the north!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

A truly howling wind here... So I'm surprised that some of you in the north are not seeing more showers and cold etc. The sunshine is beautiful around noon, just a shame we don't have a more 'April showers' type setup. Frequent snow showers and sunshine would be fantastic but beggars can't be choosers I suppose

Posted

I'm almost praying for an easterly now!!!

I could almost bet it would bring rain too. If it is any consolation the colder air due/forecast for tomorrow during the day. By that time it should be cold enough for snow. Before then, possibly the wrong side of marginal. If it is not snowing by tomorrow evening I will seriously ticked off.

• Like 3

Posted

A truly howling wind here... So I'm surprised that some of you in the north are not seeing more showers and cold etc. The sunshine is beautiful around noon, just a shame we don't have a more 'April showers' type setup. Frequent snow showers and sunshine would be fantastic but beggars can't be choosers I suppose

Yep, I'm pretty sure we're getting as close to a true northerly Föhn wind as is possible too, as much of the low-lying snow has been hair-dryered away today. A few minutes ago, Glasgow airport was reporting 5 mph, whereas Eskdalemuir (nearest WS to Moffat) was reporting gusts over 50 mph. Windows here are rattling about & I've had to line the stove tray with ashes to stop the air drawing too fast.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm almost praying for an easterly now!!!

temperature now 3.2c , raining heavily, and wind from sw. I think my weather station needs fixing
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

One of these times I'm gonna log on and there will be a post saying heads up major incoming unexpected snow.....it is very windy here and feels incredibly cold... Feels like been cold now for ages without any snow to go with it....today looked very interesting only 3 days ago but nothing to report....here's hoping can get a frontal event on Tuesday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

Not sure it does, we are now +4/+2!  

just think what a 2c drop in both would have brought us with the streamer reaching from just off wick to well south east of Aberdeen ,mind you the way things have gone this winter it would have taken the bypass route lol,,nice big flakes falling now T4c 2c dp at 19 .00hrs now 1.4c and 0c dp at 19,45 hopefully the colder air finally digging in now   

Edited by drm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

T = 1.5 °C, DP = -2.3 °C. Fair blawin a hoolie now.

Some of those showers off the coast of Angus have a tantalising NE-SW edge to them. Enough to keep me radar checking every so often.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Woke up this morning to heavy snow showers and not much snow loss to my surprise.  We've been skiing all day and it snowed heavily off and on for most of the day.  It has also been snowing pretty much continuously since we came off the hill too so interested to see how things pan out.  The mild sector didn't seem to have much of an effect in these parts. I hope those in more southerly climes get some white stuff soon or there may be some toys flying about by the sounds of it.  

• Like 2

Posted

Heavy driving sleet but turning a bit more to wet snow now. Temp has dropped to 0.9C so perhaps thinhs turning more favourable at last!

• Like 1