Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Ya see, I was trying to warn you last night about the delusional radar.  anyhoo, back from th e pub and feel well refreshed but theres fu ckall © Blitzen white stuff sleft at all. Only another 24 hours before the cold returmsn.

I'm going to start looking for somewhere to stay up a hill, sick of this coastal mush.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

I see the Perth snow shield is in full working order tonight :D

Some plum has been out and fixed our snowshield, now 1.4ºC/-1.5ºC and steady rain. For once I hope it warms up a little overnight otherwise it's going to be an ice-fest in the morning. I'll need a blowtorch to get into the car in the morning if this freezes up.

Posted

Urrrggghhh! Milder than forecast at 3c. Hit 4c overnight so snow cover has taken a hit. Hope the temp starts to slide through the day. I thought it was meant to overnight?

Urrrggghhh! Milder than forecast at 3c. Hit 4c overnight so snow cover has taken a hit. Hope the temp starts to slide through the day. I thought it was meant to overnight?

You must be in a mild blob of air, it's 1.5ºC/-2.6ºC here. Fingers crossed for some decent snow all round at some point as this dusting/thin covering nonsense is starting to, erm, well, wear a bit thin, like the snow!!

Posted

You must be in a mild blob of air, it's 1.5ºC/-2.6ºC here. Fingers crossed for some decent snow all round at some point as this dusting/thin covering nonsense is starting to, erm, well, wear a bit thin, like the snow!!

Agreed - Met Office text forecasts are pretty uninspiring right through to Wednesday though! I expect the usual 'nothing from a northerly'!

Agreed - Met Office text forecasts are pretty uninspiring right through to Wednesday though! I expect the usual 'nothing from a northerly'!

Well we'll see, I'm keeping most of my toys in the pram for the time being but I must admit to having had a look round them all to work out which ones I can lob the furthest.

I've dropped MrsC off at work there the now, I could see from Sainsbury's car park at the top of the hill in Kelso that the hills to the north have got a covering of snow from last night. Hugely frustrating stuff and a reminder that I need to get sorted with a move back out to somewhere at decent altitude again, living on the floor doesn't cut it at all. Very icy underfoot here this morning, and surprise surprise the pavement gritter and road gritter which were roaring up and down at 6.30am the other morning in response to a non-slippy dusting of snow are now nowhere to be seen.

ECM 00z at +240hrs. Where have I seen this set-up before? Azores High do one, I've had enough of you. Seriously, pack up your onions and do some trouser legging off somewhere else. I'll telephone box you Mr Sweary Filter....peace off ya sheet :)

post-2844-0-05794500-1422691786_thumb.gi

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Bunch of charts from mesoscale models, far North some areas in the mix for a proper pasting.

Streamers showing up in very hi resolution on Euro 4 from early this morning, NMM shows a strong projection for solid snowfall around lunch time.

post-7292-0-42199700-1422693338_thumb.gipost-7292-0-29799600-1422693335_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-14938400-1422693332_thumb.jp

We have an area of low pressure skirting down the North Sea / East Coast, perhaps some showers tracking in from that, however coastal dewpoints dicey right through until midnight.

post-7292-0-27253900-1422693333_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-33028700-1422693334_thumb.gipost-7292-0-78544300-1422693340_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-13444800-1422693342_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-68910900-1422693329_thumb.pn

Early on GFS the peak of the blocking in the Atlantic and it slowly topples and breaks towards Scandi, as noted elsewhere what the WAA resultant after effects are still something of a scramble on ensembles with tentative Scandi block sniffing around.

That said some Perturbations still full of eastern promise into Feb, so the holy grail NNErly for snow starved east coast areas not off the table this month.

post-7292-0-53336300-1422693337_thumb.pn

A cutting windchill chart for today.

post-7292-0-75146300-1422693672_thumb.gi

More satellite watching to see if we can get another 'visitor' from the Arctic..

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Wintry mix of rain, hail and sleet at the moment. Temps heading downwards though currently 2.4C dew 1.5C. Strong winds gusting to 47kts.

• Like 2

Posted

Wet windy dull.dark and 2c. Thoroughly miserable morning though can see the snowline at about 800 feet just to the south.

• Like 2

Posted

Snowing here now though it looks like pretty wet stuff. Interesting that the showers are making it over the mountains to the north and getting down here though. Might bode well for later!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Similar to the above here too. Temp currently 1.7/0.4C and mother nature can't decide whether to make it rain or snow so is trying both, and everything in between. Pretty breezy looking too. Not a day that entices you out of the house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin'Kilties! Back to the usual mix of sleet/graupel/rain and gales for us today. Gales...just when I don't need them. I have to go over the bridge today. Bear Scotland close the bridge if a midge farts. Just hope I get over and back again before that midge let's one rip!

• Like 5

Posted

Morning all,

3c, bright and breezy. Looking at the wet bulb zero levels it's not until the wee hours of tomorrow that conditions look favourable for accumulating snow at low levels down the east coast....and by then it may be mostly dry away from the north.

All to play for the next few days but I'm afraid once the Aberdeen contingent see some of the White stuff I may be left as the sole member of the no snow (not even a dusting) club. Can't remember offhand, maybe some of the Leith crew will be keeping me company? ;-)

Edited by Hawesy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Black clouds are looming large, breezy and cool.

A day for indoors and some baking. This might cheer me up at the prospect of little snow on the horizon.

Gonna be Baltic next week though:)

• Like 2

Morning all,

3c, bright and breezy. Looking at the wet bulb zero levels it's not until the wee hours of tomorrow that conditions look favourable for accumulating snow at low levels down the east coast....and by then it may be mostly dry away from the north.

All to play for the next few days but I'm afraid once the Aberdeen contingent see some of the White stuff I may be left as the sole member of the no snow (not even a dusting) club. Can't remember offhand, maybe some of the Leith crew will be keeping me company? ;-)

I think aggy is still in your club plus perhaps the Irvine posse? You'd need to check with them but I'm certain there's a number of westies who have had nothing too. A dwindling club hopefully.

Posted

I think aggy is still in your club plus perhaps the Irvine posse? You'd need to check with them but I'm certain there's a number of westies who have had nothing too. A dwindling club hopefully.

Yes, Irvine and surrounding areas of the Clyde coast provide me with stiff competition in the snowless stakes. ;-) Though I think there was certainly some snow around Largs a couple of weeks back? As you say fingers crossed the club has no members by midweek.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I've dropped MrsC off at work there the now, I could see from Sainsbury's car park at the top of the hill in Kelso that the hills to the north have got a covering of snow from last night. 

Aye. This was Soutra at 00:38. For some reason the camera hasn't updated since.

Didn't really see anything of note in the end here. Currently 2.5 C.

EDIT.

Seems all of the TS cams have gone offline in the wee small hours.

post-9421-0-74379700-1422700272_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted

Just to prove we can get lying snow in Crail, attached pic is from 12/2/09. This fall of 11cm is the greatest depth I've recorded since moving here in 2005. Even the epic winters of 2009/10 and Nov/Dec 2010 didn't deliver as much snow (max depth both those winters was 9cm). Not expecting anything as deep (for Crail!) in the next few days but a cm or two would be magic!

post-11132-0-52973800-1422700714_thumb.j

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 3

Posted

Yup zero here and Irvine lot confirmed nothing also ! Got a few showers at pints but never stuck ! It's not over yet still a good few weeks of winter . However we have had no lying snow here since feb 2010 ! 5 years !!!!!!!!

Posted

We're now at +4 with a NW/N wind?? In winter?? I've seen snow here at +4 (when the Dew was -4) but no chance in this set up. Almost tempted to say roll on warmer weather & spring!!

Edited by Richard Taylor
  • Like 1