Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Hmm I'd say someone's gonna get a pasting soon... and it won't be me!

Did those big heavy showers passing through the area last night end up hitting your location?

Posted

What a day of snaw here in Aberdeen - thick flakes, lying deep, traffic gridlock, snowmen galore, sledging heaven - then I woke up to more clear skies & no signs of the white stuff! :D

Are you sure the traffic gridlock wasn't there anyway?

If it is any consolation tonight's rain is right on target and is showing its hand way up north now.

Posted

Very odd. The BBC Scotland forecast suggested (5-10cm ? IIRC) snow running through Glasgow - Lanarkshire - Dumfriesshire/Borders from 9'ish to midnight. Fingers crossed but can't see it myself.

Posted

Very odd. The BBC Scotland forecast suggested (5-10cm ? IIRC) snow running through Glasgow - Lanarkshire - Dumfriesshire/Borders from 9'ish to midnight. Fingers crossed but can't see it myself.

Sometimes with such a low passing there are back edge showers that will run east to west. That's the only way I imagine that Glasgow will take a hit as it definitely looks like passing to the west, albeit only by about 20 miles.

Edited by Blizzardo

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Yes I heard that one. They even said it might reach W Lothian? They were pretty confident of the snow coming from the north later on though!

Posted

Looks like S Ayrshire  D and G will benefit from this system moving in

The BBC had the ppn east of Ayrshire/Galloway. That's what was so odd about it as it doesn't correlate with any of the modelled output chart from Euro4 / WRF etc. Of course, if the wee low has spun up deeper and more energetically than anticipated by the models, it will naturally bowl along a more easterly track.

Edited by moffatross

Posted

Its definitely inching inland ,but painfully slow!

Posted

Watching the radar animation looks like it's doing some sort of limbo dancing move to avoid us. Just ducking under central belt.

Posted

Currently -2.4C and a beautiful starlit clear sky

Apologies for the IMBY nature of the rest of this post but the met office are currently going for a 48hr+ snow carnival in this area over the weekend. If it comes off there will be some serious snow totals (and digging) going on here

post-12555-0-69853200-1422560304_thumb.j

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 5

Posted

I was surprised at the Reporting Scotland forecast suggesting snow in central areas. At the moment I'd say only very southern parts of Argyll, and inland Ayrshire and D&G will get something out of this. Not sure about the front to our north, would be surprised if it crossed the country intact.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Yep, that's a Polar Low. How long have we been on the hunt for one of these ! Nice to see it on a direct trajectory through the country rather than skirting around Norwegian Fjords.

• Like 2

Posted

Currently -2.4C and a beautiful starlit clear sky

Apologies for the IMBY nature of the rest of this post but the met office are currently going for a 48hr+ snow carnival in this area over the weekend. If it comes off there will be some serious snow totals (and digging) going on here

I'm not jealous at all... very snowy January for you! Have you got a picnic bench to take a photo of each day? ;) 

• Like 2

Posted

I'm not jealous at all... very snowy January for you! Have you got a picnic bench to take a photo of each day? ;)

Aye nice to have a January as January should be Ross. I have a picnic bench, the ever trusty bins, my major concern is I'm maybe going to Edinburgh for Friday/Sat.... Somehow thinking I'm going to have to find a way out of that baws idea

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Did those big heavy showers passing through the area last night end up hitting your location?

No, they all fizzled out. There's about 4cm widely on the Black Isle away from the coasts.

Posted

Yep, that's a Polar Low. How long have we been on the hunt for one of these ! Nice to see it on a direct trajectory through the country rather than skirting around Norwegian Fjords.

wowsers. How likely is it to happen, and what sort of things can be expected if it happens?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Some image grabs of our Arctic visitor from eumetrain and also from LANCE subset - Hi Res

http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/imagery/subsets/?subset=AERONET_Edinburgh.2015029.terra.1km.met

post-7292-0-12970400-1422561071_thumb.jppost-7292-0-40516300-1422561072_thumb.jppost-7292-0-63759400-1422561073_thumb.jppost-7292-0-25932800-1422561112_thumb.jp

Here is the loop on ZAMG tutorial perfect match.

http://www.zamg.ac.at/docu/Manual/SatManu/main.htm?/docu/Manual/SatManu/CMs/PL/

• Like 4

Posted

Aye nice to have a January as January should be Ross. I have a picnic bench, the ever trusty bins, my major concern is I'm maybe going to Edinburgh for Friday/Sat.... Somehow thinking I'm going to have to find a way out of that baws iy

Yep, it's been a good January here too for snow. (although not as good as yours!!)  I'd be getting out of that one if I were you - heard you were snowed in already.. ;) Post up some pics of the snowed in picnic table if you can, SS (and all of us really!) would love to see them i'm sure!

• Like 3

Posted

Haha will try Ross, provided I'm here!!..glad it's been good down there too. I've always wanted to do the time lapse thing that you see a lot from the US, looks amazing. Been great seeing all the pics today though, Scotland is at its best under a cover of snow

• Like 3