Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Very heavy snow back on.

Whilst this winter may not have delivered the sort of blocking you'd associate with very negative OPI, you can't argue that the snow and cold which has unfolded during the middle third - and hopefully the second half of winter - does fit the characteristics of such a reading. The last couple of weeks have seen two snowfalls of more than 5cm. When I come to think of it, I can't recall a single winter month which had two 5cm+ plus snowfalls - maybe December 2009, possibly February 2009.

There's several easties plus a few lowland Ayrshirites who would argue, with good reason, against that AWT. The snow's back on here and it's now my second deepest dusting of the winter so far!! Perhaps we'll all get something of note in the next six weeks, but it's been a very westerly winter so far.

Posted

A good pasting here and we're on for a direct hit on the band to the Nw. Happy birthday to me!! :D

• Like 4

Posted

There seems to be another little band of snow forming around Mull. Surely that can't be much more activity left during the rest of the night. Hopefully most places get a good few inches of snow out of tonight and maybe some more snow tomorrow to add to the cover although I'm a little worried about the possibility of rain tomorrow night. I'm really not sure what to expect with the northerly thus weekend, not expecting too much given the wind direction but the possibility of features appearing at shift notice should generate a lot of interest - a fax chart for Saturday showed an occluded front over the country although I couldn't interpret what I would mean fir sns chances. If we could get another week of lying snow then that would be pretty exceptional.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

As this band moves east I fancy some eastern parts of the central belt to do very well. What do you reckon tomorrow night has in store - could there be more snow or just rain.

It's certainly more marginal than tonight's event but with western areas having so much snow cover I think it's going to be difficult to dislodge the cold air at ground level very easily, and with such low pressure we might just about manage to avoid the worst of any warm sectors, although a possibility of freezing rain I suppose with lighter precipitation on the western edge of the band. The models are pretty much all over the place on this one too - NMM has the eastern edge of the band staying entirely as snow right through to Friday morning, giving probably another 5-10cm, EURO4 looks a bit more mixed although has the fronts generally a bit further east, on both air temperatures remain 0-1C away from the west coast through to Friday when we max out at the dizzying heights of 3C (although with a northerly flow precipitation is likely to be confined to the Highlands,Moray and Aberdeen+shire and possibly easternmost coasts by then).Friday evening at this stage looks 'safer' in the west, likely clear with frost there before the cold uppers move back over again on Saturday, which then brings the risk of more snowfall, as does Monday when another front tries to push in with the main effect being almost totally non-marginal looking frontal snow. 

This is definitely the only winter which has been both overwhelmingly westerly and above average in terms of snowfall for most that I can remember - very much late 70s/ January 1984 type synoptics on display which we haven't seen basically since then. It certainly has lacked deep cold, so far, and easterlies/northeasterlies, which has dented it a bit (although February usually sees more continental type synoptics anyway and may yet deliver on that front) but whereas last winter my forecast was wrong but for the 'right' reasons as far as analogues go this winter is almost right (for Scotland anyway it's likely to scrape in below average) but certainly not for the right reasons, so I'll take that as compensation for last winter, which was more 'blocked' in January and February than this one has been so far :rofl:

• Like 4

Posted

There's several easties plus a few lowland Ayrshirites who would argue, with good reason, against that AWT. The snow's back on here and it's now my second deepest dusting of the winter so far!! Perhaps we'll all get something of note in the next six weeks, but it's been a very westerly winter so far.

You are right, a couple if decent polar maritime snow events for Glasgow doesn't justify a successful winter across Scotland, let alone the rest of the UK so it is premature to say the OPI had delivered this winter. I think the next few days may see a change a fortune for eastern parts of Scotland perhaps other parts of the UK.

You are right, a couple if decent polar maritime snow events for Glasgow doesn't justify a successful winter across Scotland, let alone the rest of the UK so it is premature to say the OPI had delivered this winter. I think the next few days may see a change a fortune for eastern parts of Scotland perhaps other parts of the UK.

I'm only jealous. I'm sure if I was still staying in Kilmacolm I'd be raving about this winter. When we left my parents' yesterday they still had a patch of snow from the previous lot of snow, and they will certainly have caught a reasonable amount of snow tonight :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Mental drive home tonight, nearly came off the road twice. Not one gritter seen on the way home. My son should be off nursery in the morning so time to get the sledge out :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Morning folks. Very white out there - current conditions at Milton of Leys Inverness attached courtesy of the Highland Weather page on Facebook.

post-8058-0-61308900-1422512033_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

Good 5 inches at my house with some mini drifts against the fences, walls etc. Was an interesting drive to work. The audi did me proud

• Like 2

Posted

Left to go to work after 4am this morning and very heavy snow indeed thought I heard thunder and 5 mintes later there was big flash of lightning. Seemed this big shower affected area just south of Glasgow with the City escaping a good dumping of snow. Not that much snow in lower parts of Glasgow at all compared to the outlying areas.

Posted

3cm here in Stirling, side of house plastered so looks to have been blowy ...

Radar showing some activity heading towards central belt, timing puts it around rush hour...

• Like 4

Posted

A good pasting here and we're on for a direct hit on the band to the Nw. Happy birthday to me!! :D

Many happy returns, mine yesterday and got snow on the day chuffed!

• Like 1

Posted

Got up and first thing I seen was snow shower whizzing up the clyde. Think to be honest we are just getting the coat tails of that precip as it moves through from the North of us, showers only ten mins max with some longer ones. Wish it would swing down a wee bit. Radar looks fairly ok. Ground crunchy as well - watch you don't go on your bahookI!

Edited by grifter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Just over an inch of snaw here.

-0.7 C.

W/NW's are generally crap here in the E borders, so that's not bad at all.

Bloody plough has been though, annoyingly.

Posted

-0.7 C.

Every permutation of wind direction is crap here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Still just a covering here but it's a covering !!

Here's hoping for more interest over the weekend for the east

Posted

Morning all, just imaginary snow here, none of the real stuff. -0.8c.

Was talking to a colleague yesterday who was excited at the prospect of snow as her 5 year old is yet to have the chance of playing in snow at home (just a baby in Dec 2010). I told her I doubted there would be much, if any, snow in NE Fife overnight. Felt like a total killjoy but glad now I did!

Edited by Hawesy

-0.7 C.

I could wring the neck of whomever sends the gritters out round here. We've had the pavement gritter up and down and round and back and then a normal gritter up and round and back and up and round again from 6.30am onwards. There's a DUSTING of snow. Any need for all that? I think not. What will they do if there's anything resembling proper snow? Send the army in?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Only the one shower made it through here after darkness yesterday and sadly not quite enough to break out the sledge....another 15 mins of snow would have sufficed....think I will concentrate on Saturday now see if the nice looking feature on the faxes last night is a real possibility

Posted

This mornings snow. Still snowing now. -0.3.

post-14156-0-11566500-1422518732_thumb.j

Got a funeral this morning so for once could do without it.

• Like 1