Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The amber warning only started 10mkms ago folks.. Heavy snow to the south of glasgow at the moment.

Another band/shower developing to the Nw of Glasgow which has more of a central belt hit written over it and temp have fallen away :)

Yeah, I mean let's face it, when it transitions to snow during daylight hours it's very difficult for it to stick. The 12Z mesoscales will be interesting anyway to see if we can get more convection coming through the central belt. On the upside if the low is a bit further east, and the flow more NW, than originally forecast then we may have fewer problems with warm sectors for Friday and Saturday.

It was lying in Peebles when I arrived there, some really big flakes, dry for the rest of the time but on the bus back it was very snowy and lying on the road.

• Like 2

Posted

Most of these smaller features are trough lines or even polar lows caught up in the flow. Each run of the model has had these showing up but the timings shouldn't be taken too literally. It is more a ' something heavier and more lively' is likely in the flow. That will then bring heavier snow to other areas, even eastern Scotland. To be fair they have shown up in the Met Office and NMM models.

Thanks for the reply :) The point I was making is that the 12z GFS run showed the feature affecting Central Scotland with a spell of prolonged snow, whereas in previous runs it had kept the trough/low confined to western coastal areas. 

Temperature has dropped to 1.1°C here and ground is starting to dry a little now thankfully!

Posted

Nobody picked up on the warnings for Saturday and Sunday ?

I hadn't noticed it so thanks for the heads up. As there is not likely to be any snow here before then the warning is what is keeping my hopes up for seeing some of the white stuff.

• Like 1

Posted

Yep as soon as it's got dark........the first shower that's hit..........starting to settle on the cars

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Home and a dusting at fort SS.

Soutra has a few cms / was totally white when I crossed over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

EURO4 still looks good for this evening:

15012821_2812.gif 15012900_2812.gif 15012903_2812.gif

Also interesting that it picks up on more persistent stuff for western-central areas tomorrow:

15012912_2812.gif 
Then the main low drops, with the precipitation doing a funny dance around Fife:

15013000_2812.gif

Here's 'peak warm sector':

15013000_2812.gif 15013000_2812.gif

However, with a 960hpa low in situ the 950hpa temp is roughly equivalent to the air temperature, and as the front is passing over this is what air temperatures look like:

15012921_2812.gif

So most of the precipitation is signaled as snow:

15013000_2812.gif

• Like 4

Posted

Another shower just passed through.

post-14156-0-76395800-1422468182_thumb.j

Sorry for the bog standard pic of the back garden.

• Like 6

Posted

Caaaaaaaaalm doooooon Kiltie people!! Having not seen this thread since early morning due to working somewhere without signal, I got home, jumped on here and had about 11 pages to catch up on! haha love it, great to see :D

We are back to our default for this January here, nice and white. 8 or 9cm so far and temp sitting at -1.5C

Also excited by the weekend prospects. The NW theme has delivered pretty well this winter for the Highlands but it's getting a tad familiar to say the least and a Northerly is always the dogs breasts

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Yen today was really disappointing. But just started snowing here light dusting. Might be a decent night as well by the looks of things.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms,cold, heatwaves.

First post but cautiously optimistic that Dalrymple will have its first covering by morning. Nothing on ground,temp 1(check out netatmo station on map). Best and not impossible outcome that covering remains despite less cold air Friday with true Arctic air weekend and possible troughs in flow to extend potential snow chances or am I just getting a bit over excited?

• Like 5

Posted

Well whatever else happens at least I have a 2cm covering now!

• Like 2

Posted

First post but cautiously optimistic that Dalrymple will have its first covering by morning. Nothing on ground,temp 1(check out netatmo station on map). Best and not impossible outcome that covering remains despite less cold air Friday with true Arctic air weekend and possible troughs in flow to extend potential snow chances or am I just getting a bit over excited?

Aye, sounds possible - the trick is getting the fronts to cross when the uppers are cold enough for snow and getting them to miss when it's not quite cold enough. The EURO4 just about manages that trick, getting the band to hit Thursday evening and mostly as snow but then managing to get a clearance overnight into Friday so that by Friday morning the uppers profile looks like this:

15013009_2812.gif  but the air temperature looks like this:

15013009_2812.gif

Showers are definitely pepping up on the radar. The next few hours are looking good for many, particularly West Central Scotland.

Yep, further north should see more getting through now too - this one just skirted Edinburgh but the next two look like they should make it through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Got my eye on the large blob passing Stirling just now, Edinburgh and E Lothian look in the firing line! 

Edit: I should say pretty much all of SE Scotland

Edited by Mesosphere
  • Like 1

Posted

Got my eye on the large blob passing Stirling just now, Edinburgh and E Lothian look in the firing line! 

Edit: I should say pretty much all of SE Scotland

I'm watching that too. Hoping it hits here.
  • Like 1

I'm on my "lunch" from work, some folks need to chill a little and realise the amber warning only started an hour and 42 minutes ago. Give it a chance. If it's not snowed much by 8am tomorrow then fair enough, please feel free to have an utter tantrum.

We've managed a dusting so far in Kelso, not bad considering I was expecting a dusting or a cm at best. Still hoping for a freak feature to pass through and leave a couple of inches here, with the emphasis being on the hoping part of it all :D

Posted

Meh, that about sums things up so far.

The one after this one, that's got you Perth folks' name on it (along with about half of the rest of the country too to be fair) :rofl:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

I'm watching that too. Hoping it hits here.

Should do, going by the V6 radar in around the next 30 minutes :) unless it breaks up  :nonono:

• Like 2