Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

heavy snow showers in aviemore today, near white-out conditions at times

a good covering on the ground

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Not snowed since about 12:30 so that lot's all gone to mush. A clear sky now and with the sun gone the ground should be cold enough for any more to stick. But now the wind's calmed down, we may get mongooseing Jack super duper...

For the 1st time ever, youngest HC doesn't want a snow-day tomorrow - he has a prelim!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Really throwing it down and starting to settle a wee bit on the main road.  Also one solitary rumble of thunder. 

Posted

Not looking likely that we will get much snow here. Anything thats coming this way seems to get broken up as soon as it gets to the Isle of Arran, North and South of here seems to be getting some though.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Well at 4.26pm I think it's safe to say. What a total let down certainly for the days forecast. Tonight might be another event altogether but this was pretty rubbish again. I feel a bit cheated as this one seemed to be nailed on! :sorry:

• Like 6

Posted

Now that the sun's gone down, we have a temperature drop and the white stuff seems to be sticking. Looking at the radar though, it does seem that Arran is sucking the Lion's share out of the showers en route to Moffat via Ayrshire. Reckon it'll be a very snowy island by the morning if this keeps up.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Snow is now sticking here. Just need some more showers/blizzards and we're on....

Posted

The latest GFS run has a very interesting feature bringing heavy, persistent snow to Central Scotland tomorrow evening. Not been shown in any previous runs so probably won't happen, but it is very unusual for something so distinct to appear at short range. Perhaps something to keep an eye on? Would certainly take the Met Office by surprise if it did occur.

prectypeuktopo.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Just had a moderate snow shower lasting 5 or 10 minutes but the flakes weren't big enough to stick. Although for the first time it was threatning to lie on the top of the hut but didn't manage. Temperature now 1.6/-2.5

Posted

The latest GFS run has a very interesting feature bringing heavy, persistent snow to Central Scotland tomorrow evening. Not been shown in any previous runs so probably won't happen, but it is very unusual for something so distinct to appear at short range. Perhaps something to keep an eye on? Would certainly take the Met Office by surprise if it did occur.

I mentioned earlier that the Met office feed was showing a short period of heavy snow Thursday night into Friday so I doubt if it'll take them by surprise. My guess is that they're more worried about getting the here & now right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Not that disappointed as I wasn't expecting much. Official forecasts predictions were much more modest than on here, which is what made me doubtful.

Seems most of the heavy stuff is missing Glasgow, possibly shielded by the hills in Argyll, or maybe just luck.

Still, it's wintry feeling weather, better that a mild SW'ly any day, so it's nice to have. Proper winter weather for this latitude.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

prectypeuktopo.png

Most of these smaller features are trough lines or even polar lows caught up in the flow. Each run of the model has had these showing up but the timings shouldn't be taken too literally. It is more a ' something heavier and more lively' is likely in the flow. That will then bring heavier snow to other areas, even eastern Scotland. To be fair they have shown up in the Met Office and NMM models.

• Like 7

Posted

The amber warning only started 10mkms ago folks.. Heavy snow to the south of glasgow at the moment.

Another band/shower developing to the Nw of Glasgow which has more of a central belt hit written over it and temp have fallen away :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

EK now a whiteout with heavy snowfall.

How are the roads? I am heading to EK soon for work.

Posted

EK now a whiteout with heavy snowfall.

Yep, a decent cover built up quite quickly in that last shower.

How are the roads? I am heading to EK soon for work.

Very light covering of snow in EK at the moment, but could be more showers incoming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Nothing in cumbernauld yet again. Ah well, another bust for here I think

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Nobody picked up on the warnings for Saturday and Sunday ?

I posted a very interesting looking fax chart for Saturday last night...I guess everyone focusing on today....great that we have a spell of cold potentially snowy weather starting that allows no excitement of warnings 3 days away.... Meanwhile a few beefy non settling showers here today but don't expect any sticking till about now onwards...although not sure any gonna come this way now looking at radar but should pep up

• Like 2

Posted

Everything white back at home. Roads were not good but the shower has passed. Will see what else comes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

The amber warning only started 10mkms ago folks.. Heavy snow to the south of glasgow at the moment.

Another band/shower developing to the Nw of Glasgow which has more of a central belt hit written over it and temp have fallen away :)

Plenty of showers still to stream through on radar..

post-7292-0-80307200-1422465767_thumb.jppost-7292-0-53682400-1422465902_thumb.jp

Was quite surprised to see proper heavy showers reach as far as Edinburgh today at work, Pentlands obscured completely -  encouraging for this evening. Nice wishbone warnings in place too for the weekend. Sunday's looks like a tooth !