Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Was -1.2 when I got up at 8.15. My weather station only gives the minimum temperature since it started working so all I know is that it wasn't colder than last night which puts an end to the run of 4 consecutive nights of breaking my record. Similarly cloudy and misty to yesterday morning but with some more breaks

No button to reset the max/min? Mine does but It does mean I've got to remember and reset it, which I didn't do last night.

Due to the above I can't say what the overnight low was but it was -4.5C this morning before I left the house. Frosty (obviously), sunny and calm with the odd patch of mist around and the trees pure white in places because of the mist & frosty.

In some ways I'll not mind a change to milder weather, just to get the traffic back to normal. That's 3 out of the 4 mornings this week so far that I've been sat in queues and/or late into work, mainly because of icy roads. It's getting annoying, especially since the weather here hasn't been that bad.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Does anyone agree that there is snow potential for Friday evening and into Saturday. I realise it will be short lived but it would still be good. It's not really being suggested on the usual sites but on the models it shows potential. The good thing is the mountain forecast for next week looks below freezing at Munro level.

• Like 3

Posted

Was -11C when I was fumbling about in the early morning hours looking for something to combat my man flu

As others have been saying everything is locked solid and the snow hasn't budged an inch. We'll see what this mild spell does though eh....

Had a wee jaunt west yesterday. Torridon looking typically epic as the light left us

post-12555-0-62211100-1421922747_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Another lovely day here, quite bright and still cold. Ground is rock solid. Ice intact.

Lots of swings in models so no real clue yet of what might occur.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

No button to reset the max/min? Mine does but It does mean I've got to remember and reset it, which I didn't do last night.

Due to the above I can't say what the overnight low was but it was -4.5C this morning before I left the house. Frosty (obviously), sunny and calm with the odd patch of mist around and the trees pure white in places because of the mist & frosty.

In some ways I'll not mind a change to milder weather, just to get the traffic back to normal. That's 3 out of the 4 mornings this week so far that I've been sat in queues and/or late into work, mainly because of icy roads. It's getting annoying, especially since the weather here hasn't been that bad.

There is only instructions on how to reset the rainfall, but I don't think I can reset the temperature. I'll play around with it later to see if there is a way of doing it. If I can reset the rainfall then I should be able to reset the temperature somehow.

Posted

The Met Office envisage a total reset to business as usual next week. It's batten down the hatch time again ... 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/

"UK Outlook for Tuesday 27 Jan 2015 to Thursday 5 Feb 2015: ...  Drier conditions should then follow across the UK on Wednesday before we then move into a potentially very disturbed spell of weather with gales or severe gales in many places. Turning somewhat colder with an increasing risk of snow in the north."
  • Like 1

Posted

Meto have rain turning to snow on Friday after 9pm! :closedeyes:

Posted

Does anyone agree that there is snow potential for Friday evening and into Saturday. I realise it will be short lived but it would still be good. It's not really being suggested on the usual sites but on the models it shows potential. The good thing is the mountain forecast for next week looks below freezing at Munro level.

Not sure how severe the thaw will be - MWIS has freezing level above the summits on Sunday.

Posted

Yeh Spindrift it's only for 12 hours, and then back below Munro level according to Winter Highland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Yeah, lack of precip might be an issue with slightly higher surface pressure but still looks decent into early Saturday for northern and western areas:

15012406_2206.gif 15012406_2206.gif

• Like 3

Posted

I love being in the meteorology lab at kings buildings of Edinburgh university on days like today. Clear blue skies and with the sun out it is a great view. The weather station was reading 4.7C at 2pm so a couple of degrees higher than recent days. On the train home now but it has been clouding over in the last hour or so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Freezing fog coming and going here this afternoon. Seems to be worst down towards the river. Tomorrow now not looking too warm with Sunday being the only really warm day to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Was -3C minimum last night (I suspect very early) and has risen to about 4C now. That was unofficially 3 consecutive ice days... Where to next - storms next week and then shoved back in the freezer by the malignant butcher?

The next challenge for anyone who wants one...

For the Black Isle, I get a rather extraordinarily cold spell of weather on the NW 'snow risk forecast' starting at the end of the month. Eg 850 temps go down to -17C ;):help: ; however I see nothing anywhere near so dramatic on the charts. What's gone wrong here?

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Was -3C minimum last night (I suspect very early) and has risen to about 4C now. That was unofficially 3 consecutive ice days... Where to next - storms next week and then shoved back in the freezer by the malignant butcher?

The next challenge for anyone who wants one...

For the Black Isle, I get a rather extraordinarily cold spell of weather on the NW 'snow risk forecast' starting at the end of the month. Eg 850 temps go down to -17C ;):help: ; however I see nothing anywhere near so dramatic on the charts. What's gone wrong here?

Delirium brought on by a lack of deep cold? :rofl:

The closest I can see is this, which to be fair is about -12C up your way, so very cold for a northerly, but a bit speculative at the moment:

gfs-1-240.png?12

• Like 2

Posted

Hmm not so clever as I thought, these copy / paste fannyings around contrtol s Maybe it is the deleriums.

ANYHOW below is what it said with an absence of formatting!

04/02-06/02

04/02

05/02

06/02

04/02-06/02

00:00

12:00

Ave Temp 

-4.5°C

-3.3°C

-4.1°C

-4°C

-3.2°C

-3.9°C

Min Temp 

-5.1°C

-4.5°C

-4.2°C

-4.3°C

-4°C

-3.9°C

Wind 

33.1mph

33.2mph

30.1mph

27.2mph

24.7mph

13.4mph

Wind Chill 

-15°c

-13°c

-14°c

-13°c

-12°c

-10°c

Humidity 

75%

73%

73%

70%

68%

61%

Wet Bulb Temperature 

-5.8°C

-4.7°C

-5.6°C

-5.6°C

-5°C

-6°C

Dewpoint 

-8.3°C

-7.5°C

-8.3°C

-8.7°C

-8.3°C

-10.3°C

850 HPA Temps 

-18 °c

-16 °c

-17 °c

-17 °c

-16 °c

-16 °c

500-1000 hPA 

505 dam

508 dam

507 dam

507 dam

510 dam

509 dam

850-1000 hPa 

1239 m

1247 m

1243 m

1244 m

1248 m

1247 m

Cloud Cover 

99%

99%

99%

100%

96%

91%

Precipitation 

1.899 mm
(Showers)

2.299 mm
(Moderate)

2.1 mm
(Moderate)

1.899 mm
(Showers)

1.6 mm
(Showers)

0.9 mm
(V Light)

Snow Forecast 

95%
ht:SL

95%

95%

95%

95%

95%

Sunrise:
08:13
Sunset:
16:47

Updated using the 12Z Run on Thursday 22nd January 17:44:00

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

BBC are hinting at another cold spell and soon. There seems to be something afoot that they are speculating on. Feb 1st is not that long away now!

• Like 2

Posted

Here is an interesting thought. We all love winter on here. But what is your favourite month and why?

Mine is actually October. I love the colours,the first hint of darker nights and the first frosts. It also fills me with anticipation of what winter will bring. It can often be the first month that the mountains get their first proper snowfall. People in my work think I am crazy for liking the dark evenings.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

November for me because I love the anticipation of winter and Xmas and knowing there are months of winter ahead and it may just be the snowiest ever, hoping sledging around the corner soon and knowing Santa won't let you down....I too love the dark nights with a couch on the quilt....I just love it because its the beginning....and because it brings back great memories as a child

• Like 2

Posted

Well cold spell coming to an end. Its been pretty potent. Anyone who lives or works in Glasgow knows that lying snow is a rarity. To have snow lying since Friday night is pretty exceptional.

Only couple of inches of snow at the most but it survived for a week which is epic. Good being in the city and snow about :) cheers

Scott

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

May, for all the flowers and long hours of daylight and warmth with bright sunshine but on the flip side probably October with its lovely sunsets heralding winter in. Too difficult to pin even two months down. Each month has its own best bits.

Posted

May is best. Much as I love the snow, a good freeze and all that, the advantages and pleasures of early summer can't be beaten.  No hassle with keeping the house warm; can sometimes go out without thinking, 'oo do I need a coat?'; fresh green foliage on trees; veg garden should be going bonkers by now; can sit in the garden with a cold beer; nearly free hot water when it's moderately sunny; long evenings for going for walks with Ms HC.... ah, roll on...

now where's that northerly?

• Like 4

Posted

Temperature is 1.8C here and has been bouncing between 1.5 and 2 all night. Sky looks as if it has cleared which is probably why it is a little lower than expected

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

April for me, I love spring, bluebells and the lighter evenings. I also love camping and April's always good for getting the kids up North before the midges have woken up :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Difficult to choose a month but I'm going for March, with early bulbs through (snowdrops are my favourites). Planting for summer and anticipation of warmer weather and lighter days & nights ahead. Bird song increasing and just more chance to be outdoors and my chooks laying lots lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' guys from the steamy subtropics of Skye! Today we are mostly blawy and wet with temp currently at 7.9c. So, back to normal, eh?