Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A chilly -3.1C here at the moment and it's been dropping slowly since I got up. We might have had another slight dusting of snow overnight but it's hard to tell.

Well by the time I'd left the house, about 45mins after the above post, my weather station said the temperature had dropped further, to -4.1C, which beats the previous night's low. No evidence of any overnight snow lying on the car but we did drive through a short snow shower on the way to Dyce.

As regards to the debate over the location of weather stations for the Scottish cities, where do they take the readings for Aberdeen? I'm assuming it'll be Dyce i.e. the airport. If so then, being a bit more inland than Aberdeen itself, it's normally a bit colder and a bit more likely to retain lying snow than the actual city. In fact, in the time I've lived in this area it's noticeable traveling between Dyce and Kemnay that even although there's not much height difference between the two, Kemnay just being a few more miles inland almost always sees and retains snow much more often than Dyce. On occasions when we've had several centimeters of snow lying in Kemnay, there' s been very little in Dyce and none at all lying in Aberdeen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning.   -3.1c overnight low.   Temp now -1.3c/-1.9c/E.

Wonder if what is being picked up on now in the MT as a possible cold spell in February is what Weatherbell has been referring to?

Hope so because they touched on it as  being quite severe.  Add to that, the Met Office, in the form of a post from Ian Ferguson, may even be starting to agree!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

No chance of breakdown snow on Friday. However there is a 50/50 chance of lowland snow on Saturday. Realy boils down to the intensity of the showers. After that back on the roller coaster and mainly upland snow for a week at least.

Posted

Nothing Last night.

-3 at 7am this morning.

I guess our snow from last Friday/Saturday will get washed away this Friday.

It was good while it lasted. Onto the next.

Posted

Cold, dry and boring (for me) here.   I suppose there is nothing else for it but to climb back on the proverbial roller coaster and chase the next possible cold/snowy spell.   Looking like February now with a few bits and pieces in the mix until then.   Will we ever learn? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted

Blitzen -I will be happy if it snows on Saturday even if it only lasts a day!

• Like 4

Posted

Hi, dont post much but just want to ask a question. Is there a wee feature to the North West heading our way. From the sat pictures it looks like its spinning with a defined centre - nothing on the fax charts

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Posted

Haha there will probably come a day when the city even starts encroaching on your turf, then we'll really be in trouble!

Haha thankfully a fare bit to go until the townies invade here but a Daviot weather site for inverness would be fun, more akin to Aviemore

Interesting reading about the other sites, why on earth document weather for a place miles away from it?

-1.5C and frosted here with the sun trying to break through the clouds

Posted

Some tasty looking showers out in the North Sea...and they appear to be heading in this general direction. Worth keeping an eye on as the day progresses...

Posted

Hi, dont post much but just want to ask a question. Is there a wee feature to the North West heading our way. From the sat pictures it looks like its spinning with a defined centre - nothing on the fax charts

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Hi David, see what you mean.   Could be a wee clipper for those in the west.  Keep watching I suppose.

Posted

Yeh some dribs and drabs appearing inland as well. Might be interesting if the North West stuff come in fingers crossed.

Posted

Some tasty looking showers out in the North Sea...and they appear to be heading in this general direction. Worth keeping an eye on as the day progresses...

Yep. Got a brief snow/graupel shower a little while ago in Dyce out of one of them, but the ones heading this direction now look a bit more potent. Just depends on temperature etc now, especially as it's fairly unusual for stuff coming from the SE to be anything but rain when it hits here.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

Yep. Got a brief snow/graupel shower a little while ago in Dyce out of one of them, but the ones heading this direction now look a bit more potent. Just depends on temperature etc now, especially as it's fairly unusual for stuff coming from the SE to be anything but rain when it hits here.

Agreed. According to latest met office observations, the temperature in town is 3C, so touch and go. Further inland and with a bit of height should be ok for snow I would have thought.

Posted

Gone very dark here...heavy looking shower is imminent. Will find out what the PPN is in a few mins...

Up to 4C now so not looking too good but we shall see...

Turns out it was a wintry mix here on the coast...started as graupel, then rain and currently sleet.

Edited by Altostratus

Posted

Parked at Aberdeen beach for my lunch and curently moderate to heavy sleet. Might be better as it heads inland.

Posted

Still pretty much a rain/sleet mix in Dyce, so no better.

Posted

Real February weather here with iron hard ground and sunny bright days currently 0c. Great to work in outside but got a dose of man flu so not making the most of it,just feeding and bedding the cattle.

• Like 3

Posted

Light precipitation appearing in the borders....ho hum.... :aggressive:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

From Met O reporting stats 1971- 1990 and 1981 to 2000 Perth has on average a day to a day and a half more snow lying days than Dundee or Inverness. Stats can lie though as doesn't show depths. Also Inverness stats come from Dalcross just above sea level on the coast and Dundee's from the Crop Research place in Invergowrie by the river so not perhaps representative of the whole cities. I don't actually know where the stats for Perth are taken and they don't appear to be so readily available on request from the met office as the other main cities. I also don't have stats for Stirling though I suspect it would be less snowy.

I believe the Perth station would be either Strathallan or Perth/Scone Airport, both of which are likely snowier than the city itself.

Yep, quite right Norrance. Dalcross is directly on the coast at about 5m ASL whereas most of Inverness is much more inland and between 40 - 150m ASL. Let me tell you, it's caused me slight worry a few times when it's reported rain / snow during a big marginal snow event!

I have the same issue with Leuchars - very rare to see it reporting proper snow in an easterly flow even when it's around 0C and settling easily in the Howe. Not so much an issue in Edinburgh though, although occasionally the airport can be a bit colder than in town.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Well by the time I'd left the house, about 45mins after the above post, my weather station said the temperature had dropped further, to -4.1C, which beats the previous night's low. No evidence of any overnight snow lying on the car but we did drive through a short snow shower on the way to Dyce.

As regards to the debate over the location of weather stations for the Scottish cities, where do they take the readings for Aberdeen? I'm assuming it'll be Dyce i.e. the airport. If so then, being a bit more inland than Aberdeen itself, it's normally a bit colder and a bit more likely to retain lying snow than the actual city. In fact, in the time I've lived in this area it's noticeable traveling between Dyce and Kemnay that even although there's not much height difference between the two, Kemnay just being a few more miles inland almost always sees and retains snow much more often than Dyce. On occasions when we've had several centimeters of snow lying in Kemnay, there' s been very little in Dyce and none at all lying in Aberdeen.

Yes it is Dyce so a little more elevated than those in the other cities. It used to be Craibstone until relatively recently so even more elevated then.

My cousin lived in Kemnay until a couple of years ago and can confirm that it can be a really snowy place compared with Aberdeen itself.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I believe the Perth station would be either Strathallan or Perth/Scone Airport, both of which are likely snowier than the city itself.

I have the same issue with Leuchars - very rare to see it reporting proper snow in an easterly flow even when it's around 0C and settling easily in the Howe. Not so much an issue in Edinburgh though, although occasionally the airport can be a bit colder than in town.

Leuchars used to be used to judge cold weather payments for places like Calvine, Trinafour, Rannoch Station and Amulree. I think that they use something more local now though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Temperature was 1.1C when I got in at 3 but it's already fell to 0.4C. With virtually no wind, slightly damp ground from melting ice today, and with visibility not being great through today, I can see it being a foggy night.