Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I blame the Ochils for Tuesdays disaster!!!

Snow for a time here but not lying. Snowline is about 75m above my house so 100m asl.

Also, people always say 'get the cold in first, then see about snow'. This is illustrated by the small feature covering most of the country in the early hours of the morning. 4/5 am for Stirling and 7/8 for Dumfries. The met office app shows snow for both over a couple hours (albeit light for Dumfries). Expected temp is -1c when it is snowing so perfect conditions for whatever falls (not expecting too much) to stick. Anything will do but preferably 2cm plus as despite it being very cold, the snow will surely melt in the sun.

Hopefully, those who have missed out thus far may see a small dusting...

Edit: if a wide proportion of the country even see just a small amount then that should allow some exceptionally low temperatures Sunday night into Monday... Temperatures we haven't seen in a good few years. Ie widespread -5, commonly -8/-10 and in a few highland glens <-15

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Hopefully SW saltire, as you can see from my signature I've been waiting some time for a good sub -10'C low.

-1'C here so it should hopefully be a good spell of snow here as the front makes its way down tonight.

• Like 2

Posted

A slight thaw today but not too much damage done. A lovely clear evening with a scattering of cirrus clouds in the darkening skies with a bit of light/blue lingering on. There as a heavy snow shower in the morning but nothing since. Hopefully a cold evening/night to come so that the snow cover freezes. It would be nice to add to the snow cover tonight but I'm not too hopeful as I suspect if the band does manage to cross the Mountains the precipitation is likely to be further east and there is a risk if some raining falling from it to lower levels. For some northern and eastern parts there is a chance of some snow spreading South in the next couple of days. I'm not sure how to interpret the Synoptics for the frontal snow early next week wrt intensity/persistence of the precipitation but it seems some snow should fall from it and out if nowhere some of the models are showing another snow event from the west for Wednesday.

Posted

I wonder if Aberdeen will eventually see some snow on the ground (after about a two year wait!) Probably not if the BBC graphics are to be believed - they show most of the precipitation band fizzling to light rain over here but staying intact as snow to the west. I'm beginning to wonder what it will take for snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Temp here maxed at 0C so some melt in the sun but our inch stayed more or less intact. Went up Glen Affric for a stroll and was the only one there - the road was almost clear so don't know why no-one else there, it's magic in snow.  Walking was hard work, trail-breaking through between 6" and a foot.  Knackered.

More ppn tonight from the north, some charts showing it as sleet or even rain for a while which would be a bit of a left trouser leger. Then snow again tomorrow....

(Abusive language filter got me there, kind of wonder what planet I live on when I can't write a simple sentence without upsetting some electrons.)

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted

Regarding the rain/sleet/snow moving down from the north tonight its not a typical straight northerly with showers being eaten up by the mountains. Its all wrapped up in a little feature that runs down the east coast so although it doesn't look intense it does look as though some precipitation will remain.

In terms of what will fall out the sky that's probably a bit less clear as there is also some warmer air wrapped up with it. Having said that it low ground may still be around 1-2c and dp's around 0-1c so it's not exactly balmy. If there is existing snow cover the temperature is likely to be a bit lower.

So, it's definitely marginal but some could get lucky and wake up to a cover of a few cm's. 

• Like 3

Posted

Still -2C, calm and crisp. TV weather forecasts going for a wee bit of a stall when the ppn arrives so hopeful here

Glen Affric is some place HC. Was up walking the dog just before Christmas so here's a wee taster for any Kilted peeps that haven't been up that way. Worth a visit doesn't cover it

Edit. Northern Rab if you know what sgurr na rapich means I'd love to know? Many Gaelic friends seem stumped by it

post-12555-0-41839300-1421520291_thumb.j

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Still -2C, calm and crisp. TV weather forecasts going for a wee bit of a stall when the ppn arrives so hopeful here

Glen Affric is some place HC. Was up walking the dog just before Christmas so here's a wee taster for any Kilted peeps that haven't been up that way. Worth a visit doesn't cover it

Ha! I was at that viewpoint today. I'll see if I can get some photos up this evening.

• Like 1

Posted

Haha nice one :D Dog Falls is not a ideal name for a dog walk but it's like heaven up there. Was -6C at 3pm when I took that. Cracking

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted

Yes, it's about time!

I wonder if Aberdeen will eventually see some snow on the ground (after about a two year wait!) Probably not if the BBC graphics are to be believed - they show most of the precipitation band fizzling to light rain over here but staying intact as snow to the west. I'm beginning to wonder what it will take for snow!

Posted
  • Location: Aboyne, Scotland, 450ft Altitude (edge of Cairngorms)
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summers. Cold snowy or sunny winters.
  • Location: Aboyne, Scotland, 450ft Altitude (edge of Cairngorms)

I've had enough of the weather in Aberdeen after 18 yrs of city centre living. Harr in summer and rain in winter is depressing. Moving to Aboyne where summers are warm & sunny and winters can be brutal. Was up at Glenshee today for a drive. Great day to test out the quattro and winter tires.post-11503-0-53530500-1421522671_thumb.j

• Like 8

Posted

No further snow fall since early afternoon and I am not expecting any snow from the brand of snow coming south tonight. I expect it to fizzle out before it reaches here or miss here completely. The snow did not melt at all today although the roads are certainly slushy. I expect it to freeze over tonight.

Regarding the rain/sleet/snow moving down from the north tonight its not a typical straight northerly with showers being eaten up by the mountains. Its all wrapped up in a little feature that runs down the east coast so although it doesn't look intense it does look as though some precipitation will remain.

In terms of what will fall out the sky that's probably a bit less clear as there is also some warmer air wrapped up with it. Having said that it low ground may still be around 1-2c and dp's around 0-1c so it's not exactly balmy. If there is existing snow cover the temperature is likely to be a bit lower.

So, it's definitely marginal but some could get lucky and wake up to a cover of a few cm's. 

The second part of the feature looks more potent than the first, but everything's relative. I don't fancy the chances of anyone within five miles of the coast, unless you're up a big hill. Sorry to any Aberdonians, and I hope I'm wrong, but I would be expecting rain and taking anything more as a huge bonus.

Posted

Snaw cover took a pounding today, just a dusting left other than shaded cover. BBC weather early showed the next batch making its way to the border, but how much will fall after the Ochils?

Posted

I am shocked to read posts about loss of snow cover. It has not melted where I live which is shocking. I was expecting me to put up that it had melted but it hasn't.

Posted

I am shocked to read posts about loss of snow cover. It has not melted where I live which is shocking. I was expecting me to put up that it had melted but it hasn't.

Neither here - of course the roads are slushy, cars have been driving over it, people walking in pavements etc., and salt has been spread on many roads - shame! It's all frozen now and has been all day.

Anybody know windy wilson?

Edited by grifter
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

HC, Glen Affric is one of my favorite places and almost certainly the most scenic glen in Scotland. I envy you being able to get out there today and if I lived closer you probably wouldn't have had it to yourself. We had the caravan at the site in Cannich for a couple of months last summer and the same last Autumn. The wife, being a teacher, got to spend a lot more time there than I did during the summer with our youngest. The walk around the Loch is a great day out.

• Like 2

Posted

Temp currently slightly lower than progged at -2c. Fingers crossed if we manage to catch anything later.

Posted

Interesting post from Ian Fergusson on the model thread about snow potential on Tuesday.  Mind you, the devil is in the detail as he says.  As we all know, the snow could possibly end up in an entirely different part of the British Isles!

Yes. Greatest risk (of disruptive snow) NI and Scotland in MOGREPS too. That aside, UKMO lean towards broader snow risk essentially mid-Wales northwards. Some accumulations also likely S and E of here between Tues-Thurs. Anyway, all in line with previous assessment over past day or two, but devil still in detail. Confidence high now to mid-Tues but not thereafter.

Great to see this.  I had my doubts when I learned a ski tow was being installed at Lowther! I know how quickly the snow can disappear there.

Fun on the snow with the Lowther Hills Ski Club at Leadhills golf course today.

15682926883_9e3e6ec04e_b.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting post from Ian Fergusson on the model thread about snow potential on Tuesday.  Mind you, the devil is in the detail as he says.  As we all know, the snow could possibly end up in an entirely different part of the British Isles!

Great to see this.  I had my doubts when I learned a ski tow was being installed at Lowther! I know how quickly the snow can disappear there.

The precipitation looks like it weakens as it moves East across Scotland on Tuesday but it's too far away to be sure. Western Scotland looks like it could see a fair bit.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

The precipitation looks like it weakens as it moves East across Scotland on Tuesday but it's too far away to be sure. Western Scotland looks like it could see a fair bit.

Yes, Tuesday is a more west side affair. However (according to the ECM at least) Wednesday shows snow much further east covering all that side of the country....

Would be perfect wouldn't it?.... But somehow a fairy tale like that seems a bit far fetched but I live in hope haha. My home sees snow on Tuesday and where I'm staying up at Stirling sees snow on Wednesday. Please verify ECM (or continue to upgrade) upto day 5.... Then I'd prefer if it didn't verify haha

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2