Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Heavy snow all afternoon in killie. Next to nothing in Irvine

Irvine is not all that far from Killie. But it is nearer the coast certainly. It rained a little earlier but quickly turned back to snow. Not snowing just now. I have no idea if any more snow is forecast for the weekend? Any shower activity or troughs expected?

Posted

Was about an inch lying in Kilmarnock when I left at 7. Just shows the difference being slightly inland from the salty Ayrshire coast makes

Posted

post-15237-0-24639000-1421436814_thumb.j

I did try to upload a video but it doesn't seem to let me, but anyway, we have a couple of inches just now, patiently awaiting another good shower.

• Like 5

Posted

Does look like it might be quite quiet for a while now but golly much better day than I thought it might be

Posted

Well the last 7 days are producing some notable snowy goods to Scotland, always good to see. Anyone with a 2 inch cover or more right now, should probably hold onto such cover for a good 5-6 days at least.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

At last, proper snow!

Don't you think about draining that blob too much. I've been tracking it for an hour ok!

• Like 2

Posted

A word of advice for anyone thinking of driving in or around Glasgow tonight - don't! Utter chaos at the moment. Snow that has fallen has turned main roads in the city centre eg around the Royal Infirmary hospital into ice rinks. Have seen one bus hit crash barriers at the side of the road and a mail van get stuck on a slip road going onto the motorway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Mrs Catch has a request: more snow photos please :D

Nowt here....yet.

I do feel sorry for you Catch :)

You might see something Tomorrow night from that band coming down from the north...?

I wish I could have taken a video of the snow at Thornhill as it was incredible, huge flakes and falling very fast.

Tbf, most people were driving sensibly and keeping a good distance but I felt my wheels spin on a couple of slight inclines when we were stationary. A journey that normally takes 1hr 45 took over 3 and a half.

My first time driving through snow, on my own and feeling ill from the flu... Not a good journey haha but I survived I suppose

Edit: my 'snowpack' is continuing to diminish... Further sleet and melt water. I hope I get hit by a heavy shower or just a clearance in skies allowing a frost to develop. If I can have a top up tomorrow then the snow might last (out of the sun) for a few days hopefully..... Until the huge snowfall on Tuesday ;)

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Rangers v Hearts abandoned in Glasgow due to the condition of the pitch

Posted

A light dusting here but nothing significant - 

Current Temp +1.3c -

Bar. 1000 and steadyish 

Wind around 10mph

Dry - not sure we will get much snow over the weekend - hope not because I have a weather station to put up...

I do feel sorry for you Catch :)

You might see something Tomorrow night from that band coming down from the north...?

I'm kinda OK about missing out up to now, I've had to learn a lot of patience in the past few months with other stuff going on in my life, so why not some snow torture too?

Anyway, I think I used up all my snow tokens when we stayed at Westruther and got all the snow in the world in Jan 2013 and March 2013. We're going to try and move back to a hill somewhere for next winter, so if I have to wait until next time then so be it.

That shower band across the south looks quite organised now, Euro4 shows this up nicely on the precip type charts:

post-2844-0-32475900-1421439741_thumb.gi

Edit: Oooooo, we've managed a light flurry of snow in the last couple of minutes...emphasis on the light part :D :D

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

The mesoscale models did suggest we might get some snow a bit further north but so far nothing's managing to get past West Lothian. Still, good to see the west and south getting in on the act after not doing that well on Tuesday. Certainly no reason to be downbeat, there's every chance that tomorrow morning could be a bit better here with the flow slackening turning more like straight westerly:

nmm_uk1-2-17-3.png?16-17

nmm_uk1-42-17-3.png?16-17

Early Sunday still looks interesting too, a more toned down version of December 22nd/23rd 2009 perhaps with organised snow heading south down the east coast:

attachicon.gifprecip.pngattachicon.gifviewimage.png

Tantalisingly close to a very snowy Sunday night into Monday morning too for the east:

PPVJ89.png

Would be an absolutely perfect time for it with -8C uppers in place:TT_GZ_UU_VV_060_0850.gif

A slight southwestward correction of the whole pattern would do wonders there, and might temporarily stop the carnage on the MT too (although I doubt the 'M4 snow paradox' or 'Schrodinger's snow line' will ever be fully resolved :rofl: ).

Appreciate your very informative posts LSS.

You seem confident of any precipitation being snow down the eastern side over the next few days. Do you envisage any marginality at all here from now until Monday? Notice the met indicate possibility of rain/sleet. Be good to take a hit from one of these potential snowfalls over the next few days.

Currently 1C here and dry. No snow to be seen thus far.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

The mesoscale models did suggest we might get some snow a bit further north but so far nothing's managing to get past West Lothian. Still, good to see the west and south getting in on the act after not doing that well on Tuesday. Certainly no reason to be downbeat, there's every chance that tomorrow morning could be a bit better here with the flow slackening turning more like straight westerly:

nmm_uk1-2-17-3.png?16-17

In your opinion, do you feel the snow tomorrow will be less marginal? It seems very in the balance, I was under the impression that today was better for snow prospects than tomorrow, certainly IMBY with rain now forecast... But the reporting Scotland forecast wasn't so clear cut and on a national level it seems like tomorrow could deliver further 'goods'

Edit: beaten to it!

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Just for comparison, here's the 'night before' December 23rd 2009 chart:post-9298-0-45760700-1421440041_thumb.pn

The 6Z NMM actually had the precipitation a bit heavier and more prolonged than the 12Z so I wouldn't necessarily rule out something similar happening (although still a bit of an outside bet).

Anyway, I'm off to the pub - >75% of the snow that's fallen in Edinburgh since I first moved here fell when I was in a pub (judge from that what you will) so if the radar suddenly improves you know who to thank :laugh:

• Like 7

Posted

Game abandoned at Ibrox and question is why was the pitch not properly cleared before kick off rather than just the lines.

big question has to be why it kicked off in worse conditions than when the ref said no more? Absolute joke, feel for anyone spending money to get there for what was a farce.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

In your opinion, do you feel the snow tomorrow will be less marginal? It seems very in the balance, I was under the impression that today was better for snow prospects than tomorrow, certainly IMBY with rain now forecast... But the reporting Scotland forecast wasn't so clear cut and on a national level it seems like tomorrow could deliver further 'goods'

Edit: beaten to it!

• Like 3

Posted

Killie is getting hammered again, my rents are reporting thunder and lightning with the snow.