Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Light snow showers settling here at -1C this morning :D making a very nice change from yesterday's awful cold wetness.

I see someone has pinched my extreme cold uppers next week. Musta been one of those miscreants on the MT :wallbash: . However it doesn't look especially mild for the next few days :cold:  to sya the least :air_kiss:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Slightest icing sugar this morning in Maddiston. Snowing in Glasgow and lying, :cold:  but quite light. Interesting stuff will not arrive till later today.

Good to see the snow reports coming in from the more snowless areas of the country. FAX charts look good for over the weekend, the WRF-NMM 2km precip charts look good for the next 36 hours. Don't waste your time looking at anything past about +120hrs at the moment, you'll only end up missing out on the cold and potential snow coming in the next five days. Fingers crossed all round :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

All white here with heavy snow showers, well below freezing at -1.6'C so could be an ice day.

• Like 5

Posted

Light snow showers settling here at -1C this morning :D making a very nice change from yesterday's awful cold wetness.

I see someone has pinched my extreme cold uppers next week. Musta been one of those miscreants on the MT :wallbash: . However it doesn't look especially mild for the next few days :cold:  to sya the least :air_kiss:

I wouldn't worry too much. For the first time this winter we'll be getting entrenched cold with precipitation about. As you know, it's tricky to model these situations beyond day 4/5 and there are some very cold uppers nearby. Good to see deep cold becoming settled over Norway, ever our cold weather friend here in the north!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Bright and calm (for a change) morning here with the temperature currently 1.4C. I think we've been stealing the power from everyone else's snow Shields as we're still snow free.

One quick run through the 0Z GPS and ECM makes me assume that it's probably not safe to enter the MT without a full set of armour?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Got woken up by my 3 year old to tell me "it's snowing daddy!". Nice covering here, not deep but everything is nice and white :)

• Like 1

Posted

Scotland wearing its ski-ing shades on the latest METO Fax charts. Snow inbound from the north.

post-8058-0-22672500-1421401131_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Good morning peeps snowing in Renfrew, huge flakes not on for long though but getting a good covering.

I'm very encouraged by the snow reports from Ayrshire and Renfrew, these are some of the least snowy areas in the south & west of the country so that's got to be good. I've lived in various parts of Glasgow, Renfrewshire and Inverclyde so I know a good sign when I see it :D

I'm off to work now which is probably for the best given all the action is going to be out west during the day today, fingers crossed for some cracking short range charts for when I get home at 7pm.

Posted

Didn't expect snaw here but nice wee wake up surprise ;) (seems to be getting cloudier too again)

Posted

I'm very encouraged by the snow reports from Ayrshire and Renfrew, these are some of the least snowy areas in the south & west of the country so that's got to be good. I've lived in various parts of Glasgow, Renfrewshire and Inverclyde so I know a good sign when I see it :D

I'm off to work now which is probably for the best given all the action is going to be out west during the day today, fingers crossed for some cracking short range charts for when I get home at 7pm.

Yes catch good signs when it is snowing here, promised my 15 month old grandson snow, he has only seen it in the movie frozen so happy for the wee fella. Another shower on the way c'mon the snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Scotland wearing its ski-ing shades on the latest METO Fax charts. Snow inbound from the north.

Great to read snow reports coming in, agree entirely with Catch, have read many despondent posts from Ayr re: lack of snow, it really is great to see the snowshield busted and finally some snow arriving. Wherever there is snow and icy landscapes, please do grab some pictures and get them on the thread - selfishly I need a new screensaver (HC) and also these pictures are great for Netweather to share via Twitter.

That Fax chart is a beauty, now how do we get that front to stall on it's way south.... :)

I wouldn't be detracted to much by the model thread at present especially when we have fax charts like above and as Knocker pointed out another conundrum out at 120, it really gets like a pendulum when easterlies appear. The models downgrade / upgrade / snowgrade / raingrade on each and every run. Will be Sunday til we know where we are at, by which time we will be well into the best cold shot for a while regardless.

Enjoy !

• Like 6

Posted

Why the alert for the whole of England?

Am I going bonkers or is it not cold up here or in Ireland or in Wales ( or are we supposedly used to it?)

It's a devolution thing.  This particular regime of cold weather warnings only applies to England (I think).

• Like 1

Posted

Hard as Nails up here.

Soft as a burst balloon down there.

How'd you like Dem IMBYapples.

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Wow heavy snow shower just snow, huge flakes :)

• Like 2

Posted

It's a devolution thing. This particular regime of cold weather warnings only applies to England (I think).

Haha

"There is a 90% chance of over the top warnings. Could Daily Mail/Daily Express readers please use their hyperventilation as a method of keeping warm"

Seem to remember a foot and more of snow falling a couple of days ago, that merited a yellow apparently....

We are mere mountain goats to the Met Office Kilted peeps

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 3

Posted

MetO introducing an update on Saturday lunchtime.

The TOORP Early Warning System will be getting switched on.

• Like 3