Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Really coming down now with big flakes.   When does this turn to rain?

Not much being said about the eventual wind so I take it that it isn't as bad as originally forecast for here?

It should be fully rain by about 6pm, I wouldn't like to quote a cut off of 3pm as it may still be sleety or even snow at that time.

Wind still looks to be strong, but not horrendous as the system is not moving much, it more or less sits and fills rather than racing through.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Horrendous outside.  Horizontal snow, drifting off the fields.  Glad I'm indoors!

attachicon.gifP1000160.jpg

Aye Nice BV! Nice!

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

It should be fully rain by about 6pm, I wouldn't like to quote a cut off of 3pm as it may still be sleety or even snow at that time.

Wind still looks to be strong, but not horrendous as the system is not moving much, it more or less sits and fills rather than racing through.

In terms of the fronts, this one should be all, or mostly, snow, then it's likely to stop around 12pm, then the next one might have some front edge snow but once it pushes in (which is a bit later on the EURO4 than the NMM) it'll turn to rain pretty much everywhere, although not for too long:

15011421_1400.gif

15011600_1400.gif

As for the wind, well it still looks pretty blowy:

39-289PUK.GIF?13-6 51-289PUK.GIF?13-6

15011512_1400.gif

The EURO4 brings the 'eye' over us though and has a much slower progression, so probably less windy and cold delayed by around 12 hours (although still potentially snowy around the eye).

Snowing here but doesn't look like it's settling much more in town unless we get some properly heavy stuff.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A nice wintry scene on the Black Isle this morning despite little snow falling since yesterday afternoon.  I had a large snowy carpark to myself for a while yesterday - excellent fun and very useful too to get a true feel of how the car behaves, especially how to get control back once you've lost it.

Bit of a love-in on the MT this morning - there seems to be a good chance of a week or so of cold after this upcoming gale / storm, although the pros are pointing to some potential flies in the ointment.

Posted

Thin cover (which will very quickly be obliterated later on by the rain) but most snow probably here since the March 2013 spell

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Expecting a few hours of snow at 400ft later before it rains.Just hope I can still have some snow left as more coming after midnight maybe.

Posted

I think I need to block this thread on my computer through jealousy of everyone who has been getting plastered while I am getting heavy rain! Lovely photos guys. I assume there are still no signs of some Greenland blocking any time soon?

• Like 2

As for the wind, well it still looks pretty blowy:

Absolutely, it looks as if we'll get a relatively decent gale down here, by our standards it could still be fairly bad. Doubtful we'll see anything much above 70mph in terms of gusts which is nothing in the big scheme of things, but there's potential for disruption to transport and power supplies.

Edit: Oooo, it's gone grey and started to get a little darker out...

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

When will it turn to rain at 1000ft? The BBC shows snow for me until midnight but they've not been right yet!

Edited by mardatha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

When will it turn to rain at 1000ft? The BBC shows snow for me until midnight but they've not been right yet!

Could be about right, it'll take a while for it to turn to rain at 1000ft and it's likely to turn back to snow for you by Thursday morning anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Thanks Snowlover2 :) Been out digging round the place. Bin update..

Looks like you have a feline assistant there.

'Dig this bit out boss, I need a wee!'

Jings....Those are cold surface temps from 06z for Monday lunchtime and overnight :shok:   Best get those LJs looked out HC!

Have I got the right charts here, are they surface temps?   They look too low.

Already fished them out. Washed them too :ninja:

• Like 3

Posted

Looks like you have a feline assistant there.

'Dig this bit out boss, I need a wee!'

Haha well spotted HC, it's collie prints, and he has that mad collie trait where they do somersaults trying to bite the snow you throw with the shovel

Pity this wee warm interlude is making an appearance later, like others I'm hoping our height keeps us from the proper mildness. Seems to be the trend of this winter. Snow, mini-melt, freeze of the melt, snow again

• Like 2

Posted

Cover still intact here, looking a bit dripy though. No real gains from this mornings band, didn't see it cause I was sleeping. Wet snow still falling, will take a wander with the ruler and camera in a bit.

Posted

Snow still holding on in Darvel. Wife just sent this

post-14156-0-33830800-1421237699_thumb.j

She says a Gritter has gone through the hedge up the hill a bit, but refused to go get a photo.

I would guess this will be all gone by the time I get in.

Looks like there will be more chances later in the week. Also MT getting excited about frontal snow next wed. Bit too far away to take seriously I would have thought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

No snow to report of in Helensburgh.😢

However great excitement down Model Thread Way😋

Apparently it may be turning cold next weekðŸ‘

Min mid afternoon temps thru to midweek..

post-18260-0-22009600-1421237953_thumb.jpost-18260-0-46739400-1421237963_thumb.jpost-18260-0-44190700-1421237973_thumb.jpost-18260-0-00513600-1421237985_thumb.j

post-18260-0-62052000-1421237992_thumb.j

• Like 6

Posted

Nothing here, few showers that don't lie and overnight didn't produce a thing. T 3c. Loving seeing/hearing of everyone else being lucky though! Enjoy  :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Definitely a bit melty out there but depth on grass is still 17cm, wonder if it will survive. Bit concerned about flooding with heavy rain and melt!

Scenes  not as pretty as last night as most snow has fallen of trees.

Calibrated ruler test.

post-8494-0-14757500-1421238897_thumb.jp

post-8494-0-24116500-1421238912_thumb.jp

post-8494-0-47624500-1421238927_thumb.jp

Mini sledge piste nicely prepared.

post-8494-0-74021100-1421238942_thumb.jp

• Like 3