Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Glad to hear everyone (and especially Milkmaid) survived the night :)  Once it switched to a westerly after midnight it was calm here.  Aside from a stray wheelie bin and some twigs on the road, you'd never know there had been a storm.  Amazing how the impacts can be so widespread but localised at the same time.

• Like 1

Posted

What a wild night, lots of debris lying around, but in the grand scheme all seems OK. Glad to hear milkmaid is OK

Just reading about the plum white van driver on the FRB earlier..... send him the recovery services bill and include danger expenses as well.  :fool:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Not too bad here in the end, although I probably slept through the worst of it during the night. According to the weather station data for Dyce the max sustained wind was 29kts at 6am and highest gust 56kts at 8am so nothing compared to elsewhere. Trees not being in leaf has helped greatly as there was very little debris on the roads or trees down on my way to work at 8am.

Just for Jo, can't hear any helicopters at the moment but there's definitely fixed wing aircraft landing (saw one coming in as I approached work) and taking off (just heard one go out 2mins ago). Sounds quieter then normal though and can't seem to get onto the Aberdeen Airport website to check flight info.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Morning all. Im relieved to hear everyone seems to be ok this morning. Hopefully not too many have structural damage. 

Not too bad here I think. It was/is windy and the noise woke me up. Quite a few branches down but thats about all I've seen locally. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Large hail here overnight combined with a flash of lighting. Really wild and battering hail off windows really loud. Although I was the only one awake.

Some dafties put their recycling boxes out last night needless to say I have all their recycling littering my garden! Few branches down and bins but actually looks remarkably good considering.

Glad to hear everyone ok. What a great forum this is. So so helpful in these scary storms.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Not too bad here in the end, although I probably slept through the worst of it during the night. According to the weather station data for Dyce the max sustained wind was 29kts at 6am and highest gust 56kts at 8am so nothing compared to elsewhere. Trees not being in leaf has helped greatly as there was very little debris on the roads or trees down on my way to work at 8am.

Just for Jo, can't hear any helicopters at the moment but there's definitely fixed wing aircraft landing (saw one coming in as I approached work) and taking off (just heard one go out 2mins ago). Sounds quieter then normal though and can't seem to get onto the Aberdeen Airport website to check flight info.

I used to live near Huntly and lots of friends there have trees blocking roads

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Just reading about the plum white van driver on the FRB earlier..... send him the recovery services bill and include danger expenses as well.  :fool:

I think I read he'd been charged with some offence by the police. 

• Like 2

Posted

A wild night. Never heard the wind roar round the house like it and the squall that passed around 12:45am was unreal. Strong gusts, hail, lightning, everything in a 5 minute spell! No real damage seen round the estate, few bins, a trampoline (OMG :)) and bits and pieces blown about. The Jan 3rd 2012 storm was certainly far more destructive with plenty of roofing damage, fences and trees down etc. Not sure why last nights storm sounded so much worse than 2012 though - maybe just timing!

• Like 1

Posted

Rough night but thankfully it seems (I going out in a bit so i'll be able to look) there's no major damage

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Spare a thought for us guys that work in insurance. Inverness seems to have been badly hit with roofs coming off. Particularly farm buildings. It keeps the adjusters busy though! :pardon: I am expecting a deluge of claims on Monday!

Posted

Very noisy night for us and ended up with an overflowing bed full of kids and animals. Interesting drive in to work this morning, lots of debris on the road and the winds still very high. All the power was out at Leadburn. 

Sorry to hear of your troubles Milkmaid, glad you are okay. Stay safe everyone again, for the next one coming in.

• Like 1

Posted

Five tiles off the roof, one of which landed inches from the car. A close shave! Annoying that there will be a an insurance excess to pay and loss of no claims unless it's a cheap fix (unlikely).

Still happy that no one seems to have been badly injured. Could have been much worse given the wind strength.

Posted

I see the Met Office snow warnings have been updated and offer hope for many of us tomorrow: "Occasional accumulations of 2-4 cm are likely, with more than 8 cm on high ground."

Not everywhere will see snow of course and if you look closely you'll see that (as usual) coastal NE Fife is not in the warning area! ;-) Still, if I even see a few flakes that will be notable!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1420934400&regionName=ta

• Like 1

Posted

I see the Met Office snow warnings have been updated and offer hope for many of us tomorrow: "Occasional accumulations of 2-4 cm are likely, with more than 8 cm on high ground."

Not everywhere will see snow of course and if you look closely you'll see that (as usual) coastal NE Fife is not in the warning area! ;-) Still, if I even see a few flakes that will be notable!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1420934400&regionName=ta

They've also upped the 'marginal' factor by introducing the phrase 'sleet and snow' to low levels. It was simply 'snow' on the previous warning was it not?

That being said the current forecast for the next few days is as wintry as it's been for a while so fingers crossed :-)

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted

Munter same for me 2 years ago. Except my car got whacked on the bonnet. Dent is still there, old car and £250 excess not worth it. 3 Tiles were repaired for £220 so again not worth the claim. Not that I am trying to puit you off! :oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Glad that the storm passed without any really serious consequences :)

I slept through all of it last night and it didn't seem particularly exceptional here although we lost another glass tile off the barn. I recorded a max gust of 71 mph which is decent but not that bad, sustained gusts were in the low sixties.

I'm hoping I (at the very least) see some falling snow late Saturday and maybe even have a slight accumulation by Sunday morning.... Even if it is all to melt :(

EDIT: in early December a huge tile, the size of a 20" TV, screen fell on my car from 2 and a half stories up. How my car was undamaged I have no clue. I think it must have fallen on the rubber windscreen wipers and they took the blow. A slight graze was left on the windscreen which and off with some water. This was due to some exceptionally gusty winds

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I love switching this on when you guys up there have some blowy spells

http://visit.shetland.org/shetland-webcams    aberdeen shuttle going to land soon.

There are some mighty impressive waves out there today 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I would be delighted with 2 - 4cm....that would see the sledge out and keep the wee ones delighted.....the euro 4 has certainly been consistent with the potential for it to be fairly widespread.....the last event came off for us on the 27th to give a bit of snow so here is hoping a similar story with that bit more depth......perfect timing being the weekend

• Like 2

Posted

I love switching this on when you guys up there have some blowy spells

http://visit.shetland.org/shetland-webcams    aberdeen shuttle going to land soon.

There are some mighty impressive waves out there today 

that is a great site and a great cam on the airport.....i wonder if thats a timed loop or is somebody actually controlling it......certainly a picturesque airport with the waves crashing around it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

From the "Helicopter Model"....wind must be dying down outside now as they sound of helicopters has started up again. It was a lovely quiet morning whilst it lasted.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Can't believe my new weather station survived the night. The underestimated highest gust on it was 32mph. The garden table wasn't so lucky

Edited by GrangemouthBairn
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Pouring now..... If we can't have a cold blocked set up, then at least let all this precipitation be snow..... Is it too much to ask? ;)

• Like 3

Posted

post-15765-0-99841400-1420809757_thumb.gpost-15765-0-67398500-1420809973_thumb.g

dew points good

ppn good

starting to think of a mini ramp

• Like 8