Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Wow, really intensified for a few minutes there. That's pretty close to the strongest winds I have ever witnessed. The tree across from my house was bent in half with the branches sweeping the ground. Never seen that in the past 16 years that I've been in this house. This is certainly proving to be memorable. The MetO will have a little justification to offer tomorrow I think when the light of day exposes the damage and effects this storm has had especially further north. Fingers crossed no-one gets hurt. I bet the MetO have their fingers crossed too

Edited by ruzzi (snowboy)
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Well, as of 2:54am, the MO are awake... and still nothing's changed on their site (in relation to a 'red' warning).

Here was my shody reply from them...

post-20399-0-67928600-1420773636_thumb.j

:(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Wow, really intensified for a few minutes there. That's pretty close to the strongest winds I have ever witnessed. The tree across from my house was bent in half with the branches sweeping the ground. Never seen that in the past 16 years that I've been in this house. This is certainly proving to be memorable. The MetO will have a little justification to offer tomorrow I think when the light of day exposes the damage and effects this storm has had especially further north. Fingers crossed no-one gets hurt. I bet the MetO have their fingers crossed too

Getting pretty bad here too, recording just 35/50mph but sounds worse than that.

We'll see (I really hope it isn't that bad but the Forth Bridge looks to be shut till mid-morning even without further disruption due to a van which overturned due to a 91mph gust, to be fair car only restrictions were in place which he ignored),

Well, as of 2:54am, the MO are awake... and still nothing's changed on their site (in relation to a 'red' warning).

Here was my shody reply from them...

attachicon.gifmo-reply.jpg

:(

They've tweeted that to about 20 folk, just standard protocol it seems.

Cheers to all the folk who've posted offering support on here by the way, the netweather community's invaluable at times like these :good:

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

Does anyone know if the winds about to calm down, the police have said they can not get out n to get in the hallway n stay there till they can get them. (Milkmaids daughter)

I'm so sorry to hear this Milkmaid - you must be beside yourself with worry....and your daughter must be very frightened

Assuming the roof has come off, they need to hunker down in the safest part of the house (which is normally underneath the stairs in a 2-storey property) with as many duvets etc as they can gather and wait for the storm to abate and help to arrive.

I'm sorry I cannot be of more help

I hope they come through this storm without further incident.|

xxxx

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

They've tweeted that to about 20 folk, just standard protocol it seems.

Absolutely outrageous. :(

Cheers to all the folk who've posted offering support on here by the way, the netweather community's invaluable at times like these :good:

I know I'm hundreds of miles south of everyone in this thread, am all the way down in cider-land, I enjoy (trying) to help. :)

Assuming the roof has come off, they need to hunker down in the safest part of the house (which is normally underneath the stairs in a 2-storey property) with as many duvets etc as they can gather and wait for the storm to abate and help to arrive.

I agree PP, I was going to say earlier, the best thing to do is what you always see on American documentaries about tornadoes (yes, I know this isn't, but the principle is the same), stay away from windows, go to the safest part of the house (room/cupboard/closet) with no windows and use as much padding as possible (blankets, pillows, etc..) and wait the storm out.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

110mph gusts at Loch Glascarnoch, still in the mid 80s here.

Edit: power out completely in Dingwall, North Kessock, Dochgarroch, Tornagrain and Tomatin according to Facebook reports.

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 1

Posted

Thank all of you guys for your help tonight, I'll give you guys a update on what the outcome was when I find out. I do know that the roof (some how) managed to stay attached, it's going to look bad in the morning as next doors garage roof has been lifted clean off n is now spread over mums drive way.

But thank u so much u

What a relief! hope Milkmaid is OK and all the best to you as it must've been a very worrying night for you.

Edit: easing down now but gusts still in low 70s - that was quite the storm! Business to attend to early afternoon tomorrow so going to have a long sleep now and assess the damage tomorrow. Very much hope that everyone is safe, night folks!

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Absolutely outrageous. :(I know I'm hundreds of miles south of everyone in this thread, am all the way down in cider-land, I enjoy (trying) to help. :)I agree PP, I was going to say earlier, the best thing to do is what you always see on American documentaries about tornadoes (yes, I know this isn't, but the principle is the same), stay away from windows, go to the safest part of the house (room/cupboard/closet) with no windows and use as much padding as possible (blankets, pillows, etc..) and wait the storm out.

My dog is terrified by thunder. I know exactly where to go if the same happened to me, he always tries to get into our little downstairs loo to shelter - no windows and no exterior walls.

I can't imagine how scary it must feel. Take a torch and read a nice story to your little one. Might make her sleep and it will take your mind off what's going on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well, by Fife standards, it has been quite scary.   Strongest gust was at 5.30am at 61.9mph.   God knows what people further north are going through!  

People needing to travel over the Forth have had it I see until mid morning.   Road bridge closed and no trains anywhere until after 10am.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

By Kelso standards it's an extremely windy morning, absolutely nothing in the big scheme of things, but easily the second worst storm I've witnessed in my almost three years (has it been that long?!!) of living in the Borders. Reports of a lot of trees down out and about even down here, and that's with Charterhall reporting a peak gust of only 70mph. Unofficial reports of lowland gusts of 113mph from the islands. I hope everyone is OK.

Saturday into Sunday looking very good for snow almost everywhere in Scotland :D

post-2844-0-86097500-1420785762_thumb.gipost-2844-0-73859800-1420785763_thumb.gipost-2844-0-72226200-1420785764_thumb.gi

Edit: Maybe the wind will pick up in the next hour or two, but the peak gust within the southern Amber Met-O warning area is currently 66mph at Edinburgh Gogarbank. In the northern Amber warning area, lowland sites include Stornoway which hit 106mph, Altnaharra hit 97mph and Wick hit 93mph. Sites with moderate altitude include Loch Glascarnoch which hit 111mph.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, by Fife standards, it has been quite scary.   Strongest gust was at 5.30am at 61.9mph.   God knows what people further north are going through!  

People needing to travel over the Forth have had it I see until mid morning.   Road bridge closed and no trains anywhere until after 10am.

Apparently, Bridge is closed due to a van being blown over. They want to wait until the wind dies down before trying to clear it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-30726678

We will remove overturned van as soon as safe to do so, however forecast suggests it will be mid-morning before wind drops sufficiently

Breezy here to say the least.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all A wee bit breezy last night,eh? We had a power cut during the night but back on again. Gusts of over 97mph in some parts of Skye, but it is beginning to calm down a bit. Western Isles had wind speeds of 113mph at one point. I hope everything is OK with Milkmaid, sounds like she is having a really bad time over there.

• Like 1

Posted

Forth Bridge open again, but to cars only.

They've tweeted a graph showing wind speeds on the Bridge:

https://twitter.com/forthroadbridge/status/553449288706297856

Looks like gusts over 80 mph earlier, with sustained speeds over 60 mph at times.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

What a wild night up north! Stay safe everyone. We've dodged the bullet here in NE Fife and wind speeds are well below Bawbag/Jan 2012 storms locally. Leuchars reporting mean speed of 38mph/ gusting 49mph at 7am. A bit windier than that here in Crail but nothing to worry about compared to reports coming in from elsewhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

My house must be facing the right way, because although it was bad it wasn't quite the worst I've had here. There was a plane circling for ages I did wonder about that, but read back in the thread and it was mentioned. I am surprised to stil have power - usually it goes oot every time a coo scratches her bum on a pole.

Posted

Can confirm complete wheelie bin knock oot here - all 6 in the hamlet doon like dominos.

Thankfully it's regular bin day not (loose) recyclables!

Plenty of sticks down on the road. Local High School is apparently shut.

Lights have flickered here, but so far so good.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Morning all.

Still blowing a hoolie here but seems to be calming down, currently gusting at 63mph and at it's peak was 80mph.

Managed to sleep on and off but house was literally shaking at times, don't appear to have any structural damage (still too dark to see properly) and still have power so all in all I seem to have got off lightly compared to other folks.

Milkmaid, I hope that you and your family (and dogs) are all safe and well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

post-15765-0-49511800-1420791776_thumb.p

Areas of faults for Sse....they gonna be busy

• Like 1

Posted

Didn't manage much sleep at all last night - the winds increased yet again for a couple hours but fortunately down to mid 50s in gusts now. Too gust here of 89mph with the airport recording 85mph. Really was an exceptionally windy event here.

• Like 1

Posted

Aye Rab, that was a very wild one indeed, it's not done yet but seems the worst is over

Some minor structural damage on the house, trees down in the garden and across the local roads, gutted to see our favourite big old tree out the front has been torn to bits. Road signs levelled, and wheelie bins having a convention in the ditch

People are safe and well here though and I hope that's the same for all others, especially those where it was worse than here

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

What a wild night, Forth Road bridge is now open to cars, there's a youtube video by FRB of them clearing the idiot Van

TRains are beginning to start back on some routes. 

It was brown bin here today, and I had to go around a stray Christmas Tree in the road