Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Flight radar 24 showing plane from Paris to Shannon has flown up over the highlands just now?

To the north of Lewis now, where on earth is it going? Reykjavik?

• Like 1

Posted

Wow what a squall!! Saw it coming on radar so recorded it on the phone hoping to see lightning as it's so dark. Got very heavy hail and rain the with visibility really down.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

To the north of Lewis now, where on earth is it going? Reykjavik?

Looks like some sort of Charter, probs heading off to the states. There must be a glitch either on the plane's transponder or flightradar24's database, hence why it's showing Shannon

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

There was lightning about 20 minutes ago here too. According to the weather station, the strongest gust so far has been 23mph. BULL. Temp has risen to 8.1, that's about 5c in the last 5 hours

Posted

Spectacularly bad timing for the recycling bin collection around us - every bin in the street on its side, contents whirling everywhere - volleys of cans rattling down the street. I can't help wondering if our neighbours hadn't quite heard the forecast when they dutifully put their blue bins out before going to bed. I'm feeling smug because I prevented my OH putting ours out, but makes not much difference since we've got all of the neighbours' festive wrapping paper plastered around the axles of our cars now anyway...  :unknw: . Feeling a bit sorry for the bin-men tomorrow, but at least everyone's getting an extra wet Christmas card delivery to cheer up depressing January ;-)...

Edited by decomm18
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Last gust 53.1 at 12.30.   Sustained was 29mph now dropped to 23mph.   Rain stopped.

Posted

Wow! Last 5 mins unreal. Noise of the hail hitting the window woke all the kids. Lightning too. Wind noise like nothing I've heard in this house before. Gone deathly quiet now! This storm is not disappointing!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Bloody hell! Hope there's nothing on the bridge at the moment.

NMM (which is the only model with sufficient time resolution that we have access to) didn't seem to pick up on that squall line, and certainly not the intensity of precipitation this far east, although it does have a marked CAPE increase from midnight-3am:

nmm_uk1-6-7-0.png?09-01

Stornoway reporting 977 hpa from midnight so perhaps the low is either slightly further south or just a little more intense than modelled:

nmm-2-6-0.png?08-23

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Power cuts here in East Wemyss, lights gone out 4 or 5 times now. Buckhaven still lit up though. Wish I could see the big windmill down at Methil!

And another one bites the dust

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?map=UK&date=2015010900&size=large〈=en&area=uk

Not sure how accurate this is but apparently it was 962 at 12. and is moving in a ese sort of direction, if you flick through. Forget the 1:00 one till around 2:00. They change once some human imput is put in. I may be reading it wrong mind. Good luck to you all in Scotland.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldly

I can see it from my back garden, now this wind turbine is one of the biggest in the world so the you can imagine the flex on the tip of blade at the highest point which is 195 m. pretty scary! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Absolute chaos there for around 15 minutes. Lightning, gun shot thunder, wall of hail pelting down (saw it coming over the houses in the distance), insane gusts. Still the occasional flash 

Edited by Mesosphere

Posted

Squal lines passed over now, was a lull for 5 minutes or so, but the winds gotten well up, house is starting to feel abit like a bouncy castle! *Dorotheeeeeeeeee...................*

• Like 4

Posted

Hi

Desperately need to know whether the worst has hit the isle of Lewis as milkmaid needs to know whether to make a run from her house as her windows have blown out n the roof may go as well?

(Sorry this is her daughter admin I hope it's ok)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Gusting up to 81mph which is VERY high for here, really quite scary!

Hi

Desperately need to know whether the worst has hit the isle of Lewis as milkmaid needs to know whether to make a run from her house as her windows have blown out n the roof may go as well?

I'd recommend staying put as more to come. Worrying for milkmaid, hope all is OK but really not a call I'd like to make.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Absolute chaos there for around 15 minutes. Lightning, gun shot thunder, wall of hail pelting down (saw it coming over the houses in the distance), insane gusts. Still the occasional flash 

Sounds very dangerous out there, hopefully people took notice of the warnings and are indoors. Have the really strong winds moved through, or is there worse to come?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hi

Jeez, is she ok?

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it going by the models, worst looks to be around 3-4am:

nmm_uk1-11-8-0.png?09-01  nmm_uk1-3-10-0.png?09-01

Probably another 2 hours at least until it starts to die down I'm afraid

(as an aside what the hell were the MO thinking not putting out a red warning for this?)

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 6