Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Everything a bit on hold for the moment then, having a peep at current outputs.   Can't help feeling though that something's just around the corner.   This last week for me has been very seasonal and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.   However, and please don't assume that this is in anyway a slight on our wonderful, very knowledgeable forecasters on our own Scottish Thread.

It's something about Steve Murr's behaviour that leads me to this feeling.

It always amazes me his ability to 'second guess' the models if you like.   In fact  sometimes even blatantly stating that they are wrong and being proved right on a high percentage of occasions.   At the moment, he appears to me to be like a prowling cat, pacing back and forwards, unseen in the background.   He's expecting and waiting for whatever it is to appear in the models just shortly I think.   I may be off on one again but we shall see.   

• Like 3

Posted

Nice calm dry start to the day patches of frozen snow sparkling and currently -0.5c. Appears to be a line of showers heading down from the NW on the radar so nice frozen base ready for them.

Clear morning. Now 2,4 c and heavy rain. Turning to sleet. Too be expected on coast I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

-1 here. And very frosty & crunchy!

Another shot from my folks this morning! My mum was telling me she was knocking the snow off the fencing, clearing a path etc and I asked her to take a pic. The snow on the newel post hasnt been plonked on.  (edit dont know why its sideways!!)

post-16273-0-51844600-1418380882_thumb.j

Edited by over_the_rainbow
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Heavy snow here and lying. Street lights are still on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Aye OK, so some of you have had snow...( flounces off to have a mega sulk ). We've only had rain and sleet here, my two weather stations are showing temps of 9.5 and 4c respectively. Big difference there, both are showing pressure of 988. Cold, dark and minging. It can only improve....I hope!

• Like 1

Posted

This feature is lIkely to be rain at lower levels (I think) as a pocket of milder air heads south through the day, with colder air returning immediately behind it. Of course I may be misreading the charts!

It was rain for about 15 minutes and then turned to snow which is now steadily building up. Currently 0c

A couple of photospost-2744-0-77948600-1418387040_thumb.jppost-2744-0-88272800-1418387049_thumb.jppost-2744-0-64710000-1418387062_thumb.jp

Update We now have half crown flakes falling now!

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 8

Posted

It was rain for about 15 minutes and then turned to snow which is now steadily building up. Currently 0c

Update We now have half crown flakes falling now!

Good stuff (nice pics)! And so much for my model reading skills - I should leave it to the more knowledgeable members like LS!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
Issued at: 1039 on Fri 12 Dec 2014

A band of rain, with hill snow, will move south across northern [that's us] and central parts of the UK during Friday, followed by showers which will become confined to the north [us again] and west overnight. The showers will fall as snow over hills and even to low levels in the north [us - nice]. Clearing skies will allow the temperature to fall below freezing with ice a hazard on untreated surfaces ( :diablo:).

1.9 °C here, but no melting of lying snaw of any significance.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Aye OK, so some of you have had snow...( flounces off to have a mega sulk ). We've only had rain and sleet here, my two weather stations are showing temps of 9.5 and 4c respectively. Big difference there, both are showing pressure of 988. Cold, dark and minging. It can only improve....I hope!

Ah don't worry - you're not alone - I've yet to see a snowflake myself - and Ravelin in Aberdeenshire was saying the same thing earlier. Though I fancy his chances of seeing snow before us!

Clouding over in St Andrews, 3c/0c.

Posted

Working from home looking after sick child and it's just started snowing at a medium intensity here in Monikie just north of Dundee! Still have an inch lying from yesterday ;-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

1.9c and just started to rain.   Wonder if it will turn?

Posted

Not paying much attention to weather today but after a clear start seems a wee bit warmer maybe a few degrees and things melting a bit but still most of it that landed is there. Clouded over a bit and some rain earlier. Don't think there's much on offer in the way of snow today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Ah don't worry - you're not alone - I've yet to see a snowflake myself - and Ravelin in Aberdeenshire was saying the same thing earlier. Though I fancy his chances of seeing snow before us!

Oh I don't know, Aberdeen's snowshield is currently powered up to full strength....

• Like 1

Posted

Oh I don't know, Aberdeen's snowshield is currently powered up to full strength....

The shield here has failed...it's let the rain in! ;-)

Posted

Probably one of those shields that push the t950's up.

When I was growing up in North Berwick they had one of them. One of the earliest models I believe. 

----

Anyway, we're off to get a Christmas tree before it gets dark. 

christmas-lights-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Yep, shield here has just melted the snow so that it's now falling as rain. Same back in Kemnay by the looks of my webcam.

Anyway, we're off to get a Christmas tree before it gets dark. 

christmas-lights-smiley-emoticon.gif

I thought you had to wait until it was dark before you went to get a Xmas tree. Oh, you mean buy a Xmas tree?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Just back in feeling raw and rain:( mostly ice and little snow to see except on the lammermuirs.

• Like 2

Posted

Just cold pish in the end here.

Also, the farm doing Christmas trees near us was closed today for family reasons.

Bah humbug.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

The wet snow that fell yesterday and overnight was like cast iron this morning and is there ready to refreeze tonight.