Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Lightning skirting up the North West side of Clyde behind hills - about 10 rumbles in the last 1/2 hour and seen a few of the flashes - whitey pink and illuminating hills - nice!

Posted

Just back from Dundee and the roads are white at the house. Nothing until above 500ft mind you. The move this year to the new house is proving worthwhile so far - had snow 3 days already this winter and none at the old house!

• Like 3

You'll really need to squint for this one, but there's sleet and snow in the wee video attached. That last shower has left slushy deposits on a lot of surfaces. Temp now down to 1.2ºC. Impressive amount of precip making it a long way east, shame most of it is passing south of me at the moment. Plenty of hope for later :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Lol SS that's a 5h1t video :) jealous of yer Wintriness though none the less.... Still bog all to report here and the storm was complete non event...full of optimism for winter though..would trade many a day of snow for a big fall on Xmas eve

Edited by edodfc

Posted

Outside about an hour ago and still there are lightning flashes to the west and north, most surreal lighting up the snow showers.     Shades of December 2010 over the Cairngorms to the south of me  although I know the synoptics are"nt  quite the same.     Currently 0.6c and dry. but breezy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Had everything here, gales, rain, hail, sleet, snow, frogs, cats, dogs, locusts.  Then the thunder and a power cut. So we hit the Glenlivet a bit earlier than usual :drunk:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

The full works today: gales, thunder, rain, sleet, hail & snow.

Bit of a lull and some sunshine early this afternoon, but it has pepped up again this evening: gales are back and really squally wet snow showers, too.

Trying its best to lie but the temperature is still fluctuating a wee bittie high for it to lie for any amount of time.

Flash of lightning, too earlier this evening.

Currently 3.8C/-3C and blawing a total hoolie.

The Snorce* is strong in this one...

post-6412-0-70468100-1418249977_thumb.jp

*with apologies to Star Wars fans...

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Still nothing here. Still blowy and feels really cold and raw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Apparently it was also well over a hundred on Boreray, St.Kilda?

Anyway, but under 1'C after a day time max of 2.2'C, frequent sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well I'm still in the non-event category. Very little precipitation here all day and what there was was barely sleety at best. Currently 1.8C, sub zero dewpoint, bit of a breeze and, from a quick trip outside to the bin, clear skies with moon and stars on show.

Wife reported snow on and off all day in Huntly, some of it quite heavy but not lying for any length of time.

Braemar snowgate webcam shows the road there covered so it'll be interesting to see the Glenshee webcam in the morning. At the rate we are going it looks like my best bet for a ski before the year is out may be there rather than my week in the French Alps (La Plagne) starting 27th Dec. I think Glenshee has had more snow today than La Plagne has had in weeks.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

Just back from Dundee and the roads are white at the house. Nothing until above 500ft mind you. The move this year to the new house is proving worthwhile so far - had snow 3 days already this winter and none at the old house.

Snow Monster it would seem we must be neighbours! After moving to Monikie last year we were warned by our new neighbours that the winters here are much worse than "down the hill" in Dundee. Result was the sum total of nothing last year! Typical....

Posted

Really intensive hail shower out the blue now. What a racket. Quickly turned the garden white but looks like it will fade quickly.

Posted

Lightning and snow is funky stuff. :) Everything is white again outside, but there's less than an inch on the ground so far ... there was far more settled snow here in Moffat by this time on Sunday. The next few hours might deliver more though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Snowing outside at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Interesting news for tomorrow night - GFS makes the secondary low a bit further north and stronger too:

gfs-0-30.png  gfs-0-30.png?18

Still looks a bit far south on that for anywhere other than Catchland but another 100 miles north or so...

In other news, I'm absolutely sick of the wind. Every winter since 2010/11 has had some major wind storms (2012/13 wasn't so much major storms as strong southeasterlies from undercutting lows) and, while they were interesting at first (and continue to be so in smallish doses), it's clear than any decent chance of getting lying snow to low levels from marginal setups is continually wrecked by strong winds from any direction other than north or northeast. Temperatures here are once again stuck around 3C with more strong winds. It looks as though it'll die down a bit in the next few hours and maybe give us a better chance of seeing decent snow into tomorrow morning, but for the rest of the winter I'm going to be hoping for some nice slack cold setups, like this:

archives-2009-12-23-0-0.png archives-2009-12-23-0-1.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Having said that, looks like pretty heavy snow in South/West Fife at the moment - check out the traffic cam image at the M90 Admirality - looks like lying snow!

http://trafficscotland.org/livetrafficcameras/

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Snow Monster it would seem we must be neighbours! After moving to Monikie last year we were warned by our new neighbours that the winters here are much worse than "down the hill" in Dundee. Result was the sum total of nothing last year! Typical....

Hi Munter. Yep I have seen some quality snow up here over the years. Used to live in the Ferry and drove up here for my snow fix whenever it was only sleet down there. Figured I might as well move here and it would save all those trips!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

That looks perfect id settle for that at Xmas time even got the orange glow....

Posted

Updated EURO4 looks like the coldest uppers were delayed somewhat compared to the 12Z (as usual) but Cairngorm's reporting -7C at the moment so it looks as though the colder wave does exist in some form or another:

14121100_1018.gif

That's good news because the cold air is going to move southwards overnight, along with the precipitation:

14121103_1018.gif

14121106_1018.gif

Temperature here is down to 2.6C with the DP finally hitting 0C, so the next shower should fall as snow if and when it arrives

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 2