Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

The wind up here in Gornal actually stopped a frost developing last night. It wasn't until I drove down towards Dudley and then Stourbridge early this morning that it became apparent that there had been a frost.

Also notice that little random snowflakes keep appearing then disappearing then reappearing in a different hour on the Met Office/BBC forecasts for the next few days. Doesn't mean there'll be anything of note I know but thought I'd point it out!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

The wind up here in Gornal actually stopped a frost developing last night. It wasn't until I drove down towards Dudley and then Stourbridge early this morning that it became apparent that there had been a frost.

Also notice that little random snowflakes keep appearing then disappearing then reappearing in a different hour on the Met Office/BBC forecasts for the next few days. Doesn't mean there'll be anything of note I know but thought I'd point it out!

18Z sucks for my location for Sunday, Terminal moraine, will padz and ppolar maritime are in for an absolute snowfest

Posted

18Z sucks for my location for Sunday, Terminal moraine, will padz and ppolar maritime are in for an absolute snowfest

surprising considering the 18z has the northwesterly being potent and a bit colder than the 12z!!

Posted

surprising considering the 18z has the northwesterly being potent and a bit colder than the 12z!!

I know, that's why those 3 members are in for fun and games, before a thaw on tuesday, followed by more snow on wednesday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Hullo. Just thought I'd say hi - just moved from Scotland to Shropshire, and hoping I may get more snow here :) Edinburgh's not the snowiest place, but it seems Telford is on average 1-2C colder in winter, and I'm also 50m higher asl, so I am optimistic! (Mind you, anyone who supports the Scotland rugby side has to be an optimist…)

I look forward to learning about the weather systems around here - I'm a keen amateur, ie don't actually know much but willing to learn! I'm still getting the hang of the surrounding land forms and prevailing wind. It's all new to me, this idea of cold weather coming in from anywhere except the east! 

I look forward to enjoying this discussion thread over the winter. Take care, all, and here's to a good winter for everyone! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Welcome to our world Bleakmidwinter (can we call you Bleak?)

The weather in the Midlands (like Scotland) can be very variable from locality to locality.

Some places (North Staffordshire and South Derbyshire) can see more snow than the rest due to height.

The Wolverhampton and general Birmingham area do well when the snow spreads north (ie south East to East winds) and the southern midlands do OK (the Malverns,etc) do OK for backedge snow.

Easterlies I think, as you allude. tend to help Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Northamptonshire.

Anyway we are all friendly and generally stay quite cheerful.

PS Cold and grey here this morning. Temp now 4.7C.g

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted

Welcome to our little bit of the world, Bleakmidwinter  :)

I know others will disagree, but generally I think we do pretty well re snow events here in the West Midlands, especially in recent years (2009 onwards). Easterlies are always the best, especially since there is very little high ground to our East to disrupt the pattern. Also, keep an eye out for Cheshire Gap streamers - given the right conditions, these can send large amounts of snow showers chugging across the region.

Bish

Posted

Hi Bleakmidwinter and welcome to Shropshire and the Midlands. At least Shropshire has the record for the coldest temperatrue ever recorded in England - something like -26C in 1981 in Shawbury (please feel free to correct me other Midlanders if my facts are a tad mixed up!).

Meanwhile a grey chilly day here, temperature around 4.5C. No frost this morning, but we did have one last night until the cloud came over and spoiled the party.

Posted

Dunno if anyones clocked on but temps are actually falling across the south east right according to xc weather!! Probably due to the colder air that is over the netherlands making its way over the north sea!!

Posted

Hullo. Just thought I'd say hi - just moved from Scotland to Shropshire, and hoping I may get more snow here :) Edinburgh's not the snowiest place, but it seems Telford is on average 1-2C colder in winter, and I'm also 50m higher asl, so I am optimistic! (Mind you, anyone who supports the Scotland rugby side has to be an optimist…)

I look forward to learning about the weather systems around here - I'm a keen amateur, ie don't actually know much but willing to learn! I'm still getting the hang of the surrounding land forms and prevailing wind. It's all new to me, this idea of cold weather coming in from anywhere except the east! 

I look forward to enjoying this discussion thread over the winter. Take care, all, and here's to a good winter for everyone! 

Welcome to the midlands thread.  have some have allouded to the midlands does quite well out of snow events. In my opinion we do very well out of battleground events,    and even in the dreadful winter last year brought a bit of snow into this area  

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Hi Bleakmidwinter and welcome to Shropshire and the Midlands. At least Shropshire has the record for the coldest temperatrue ever recorded in England - something like -26C in 1981 in Shawbury (please feel free to correct me other Midlanders if my facts are a tad mixed up!).

Meanwhile a grey chilly day here, temperature around 4.5C. No frost this morning, but we did have one last night until the cloud came over and spoiled the party.

-26.1c, Newport, Salop 10/01/82  :)

Posted

Indeed, on 10th January 1982:

Shropshire's record-breaking winter

In 1982, Shropshire suffered one of the most severe blizzards this century

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/shropshire/hi/people_and_places/nature/newsid_8993000/8993400.stm

:cold:

Bish

Posted

Not quite right with the facts there, so thanks to Tony and Bish for their input re the coldest day!

On the topic of cold, who is going to be first in our region with a snow report? I'm feeling lucky and will check at 6ish to see if the return of the MetO snow flake for Ludlow area tomorrow is correct. Anyone else feeling lucky for the odd flake or two?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I love snow but after the snowless winter last year (in  this part of Warwickshire at least), I am not getting my hopes up this year!

Posted

Bloody mod thread nobody knows what's going to happen Monday never mind the end of December start of January

Posted

Bloody mod thread nobody knows what's going to happen Monday never mind the end of December start of January

I can virtually guarantee that the end of Dec into January will be dominated by the Atlantic, heavy rain and high winds most days

we are in the UK, cannot really expect much else

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I can virtually guarantee that the end of Dec into January will be dominated by the Atlantic, heavy rain and high winds most days

we are in the UK, cannot really expect much else

While there are many things that can contribute to forecasting, One thing i can guarantee is there is no guarantee in the weather come the end of December into January, not even a virtually guarantee ..... Even the met office will tell you that!

Posted

While there are many things that can contribute to forecasting, One thing i can guarantee is there is no guarantee in the weather come the end of December into January, not even a virtually guarantee ..... Even the met office will tell you that!

maybe true, but watch this space, say around new years eve, there will be flooding in parts, models will be showing nothing but the  zonal train

• Like 1

Posted

maybe true, but watch this space, say around new years eve, there will be flooding in parts, models will be showing nothing but the  zonal train

What is it with you and the atlantic?  every post you make seems to include the words  atlantic or zonal.    i myself am fairly hopeful of a less atlantic influenced winter this year and looking at the ecm ens and reading matt hugo tweets   something may be a foot   and hopefully that includes snow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

What makes you so sure (hope it isn't just one of you feeling again) please come on enlighten us :db:

Posted

What is it with you and the atlantic?  every post you make seems to include the words  atlantic or zonal.    i myself am fairly hopeful of a less atlantic influenced winter this year and looking at the ecm ens and reading matt hugo tweets   something may be a foot   and hopefully that includes snow

because that's what it is here, Nov to Mar is nearly always dominated by the Atlantic, summer months different, I was certain this time last year, there was all this straw clutching of a possible SSW, matt hugo says this, cold on ECM at 240, and never happened as I expected

• Like 2

Posted

because that's what it is here, Nov to Mar is nearly always dominated by the Atlantic, summer months different, I was certain this time last year, there was all this straw clutching of a possible SSW, matt hugo says this, cold on ECM at 240, and never happened as I expected

?? you was certain this time last year?  what of?  half the country being under water.  we are always going to have periods of atlantic weather   we are a island in the atlantic  But to state  that the new year with be atlantic driven with parts of the country being flooded  is based on nothing but a hunch    but  hayy i suppose if you say it often enough then  you may be right.  

Posted

?? you was certain this time last year?  what of?  half the country being under water.  we are always going to have periods of atlantic weather   we are a island in the atlantic  But to state  that the new year with be atlantic driven with parts of the country being flooded  is based on nothing but a hunch    but  hayy i suppose if you say it often enough then  you may be right.  

I think it's a million more times likely than the crap spouted out from Madden, piers corbyn, papers etc! mine is realistic, that's not

I was certain that, this time last year, there was straw clutching about fantasy charts/cold on this forum

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252
  • Like 2