Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

This is so strange temps have dropped to 0.0c when been around 2c most of night.

I assume from your altitude you live at, or near, the top of a hill, as I do. I experience exactly the same effect here.

The reason for it is, as the air begins to cool after sunset there is an initial fall in temperature, this cool air then slides away into the valleys and less cold air is drawn in at higher levels to replace it.

The cooling air continues to slide into the valleys as the night progresses until, somewhere around dawn, an equilibrium is reached and the air in the valleys has cooled as much as it's going to.

At this point relatively warm air stops being drawn in to replace the cooling air and the air at higher levels then cools naturally due to outgoing radiation, until the sun rises or a breeze springs up to mix it.

If the air mass is very cold to a great depth ( which it isn't at the moment) then the 'warmer' air being drawn in to replace the cooling air is also very cold and the hill tops will have  a hard frost .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Temp been up and down all night here as well.

Is it a mixing effect? Or has some wamer air crept down thru the Cheshire gap?

Min temp overnight was -4.2C with a dewpoint of -6.7C

Currently -3.4C. Clear and sunny day ahead.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

MIA

definitely from cheshire gap, see the NW drift on pressure chart, -4.5C my min, frost very thick, on top of Saturday night's frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Clouds

Temperature now starting to rise lowest recorded was -5.6C at 08:53

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

MIA

See my post above in reply to Snowy Owl.

At 131m you're low enough to benefit from  the cold air pooling in the valleys, hence a min' of -4.2c, but high enough so that relatively warmer air being drawn down from above will occasionally be mixing with the colder air causing temperature fluctuations rather than a steady cooling.

• Like 1

Posted

MIA

I managed an overnight low of -2.9°C here, coldest night since late March.

Very hard frost this morning!

Bish

Posted

I just noticed that we have ice on the inside of the windows in an unheated room downstairs.

Temp now risen to -3.7C. Still wonderfully white everywhere including the hedges and trees. Good thick ice on pond this morning too. I don't think it thawed yesterday, so it almost certainly won't today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Beautiful winters day here. Seems fog is more likely tonight so maybe a good chance of a hoar frost tomorrow though I think we kind of had one today anyway!  :)

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

post-22999-0-33439200-1419862515_thumb.jpost-22999-0-47508100-1419862585_thumb.j

Just back from A trip down to the shops in Matlock. Still plenty of snow cover up here on Darley Moor

• Like 3

Posted

I assume from your altitude you live at, or near, the top of a hill, as I do. I experience exactly the same effect here.

The reason for it is, as the air begins to cool after sunset there is an initial fall in temperature, this cool air then slides away into the valleys and less cold air is drawn in at higher levels to replace it.

The cooling air continues to slide into the valleys as the night progresses until, somewhere around dawn, an equilibrium is reached and the air in the valleys has cooled as much as it's going to.

At this point relatively warm air stops being drawn in to replace the cooling air and the air at higher levels then cools naturally due to outgoing radiation, until the sun rises or a breeze springs up to mix it.

If the air mass is very cold to a great depth ( which it isn't at the moment) then the 'warmer' air being drawn in to replace the cooling air is also very cold and the hill tops will have  a hard frost .

Yes just a touch lower than you are,but temps are more up and down to normal,expect they`ll go up at dusk. :unsure2:

Max of 2c today as last night temps then.

More thaw today wind light west.

It did get down to -0.5c at 9am coldest morning so far.

It was 1.7c now 4.3c... 15mins later and clear. :cc_confused:

Can see some patchy low cloud coming in from the west but that wouldn`t effect it as its mostly clear.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Maxed out at 4.3C today. Temp now dropped back to -2C. Should be plenty of frost tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

When is the next snow event?

Posted

When is the next snow event?

Not for a while, I fear. The model outputs currently suggest the first week or two of January will most likely be Atlantic-driven i.e. mild(ish), wet & windy.

Plenty of time left for things to change, however! The January 2013 cold spell arrived at fairly short notice.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Really hoping for a hoar frost tonight. Best thing we can get f it cant snow! Need that dense fog to widely develop though - technically its rime if made from freezing fog though. :)

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted

Really hoping for a hoar frost tonight. Best thing we can get f it cant snow! Need that dense fog to widely develop though - technically its rime if made from freezing fog though. :)

It looks great but I am out with the scope tonight so no fog please :D

Posted

Not for a while, I fear. The model outputs currently suggest the first week or two of January will most likely be Atlantic-driven i.e. mild(ish), wet & windy.

Plenty of time left for things to change, however! The January 2013 cold spell arrived at fairly short notice.

Bish

I thought there was a potential snow event over this coming w/e, or maybe it has disappeared from the charts now? I think Frosty posted some snow charts yesterday or perhaps the day before.

Posted

Hi guys,

Thanks Ilovethesnow and TM for your responses.

My outside recorder batteries gave a 'low' signal this moning so i have had the pleasure of changing them (needed the steps at 7 - 8feet )

By the time I got it reconnected to the base and syncronised both units  the temp  had dropped from +0.4C to -0.4C in 20 minutes (around 16:30), so another cold one tonight.

Bish -   I live at the bottom of a very slight valley (20feet by about 100yds long ) so as TM suggests it might explain why I seem mostly to be about 1degree cooler than you.

Ps my temp now down to -0.9C at 17:55.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

-0.4C max today, 2 days on the trot below 0, snow, frost and ice still, -3.3C now

been a good cold spell, decent snow, 2 ice days, harsh frosts, even after a less cold day on 27th

post-18691-0-06494500-1419879139_thumb.j

post-18691-0-20074800-1419879153_thumb.j

post-18691-0-91883700-1419879163_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

I thought there was a potential snow event over this coming w/e, or maybe it has disappeared from the charts now? I think Frosty posted some snow charts yesterday or perhaps the day before.

First I've heard of it, picog.

In terms of a sustained cold - and therefore potentially snowy - spell, I don't think there is anything on the radar for at least the next ten days.

Bish

Posted

yeah Bish, normal January weather arriving, just try to make the most of any dry daytime windows, been better than last winter though, because of the cold 26th-31st Dec spell

• Like 1

Posted

-1.4°C here right now, fingers crossed I'll get below last nights -2.9°C

Whatever happened to Triple_X1 aka Nitro_Deluxe? No sign of him recently, in fact all of his posts have disappeared too? Sad, he was a good poster.

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan

Posted

oh yeah, triplex1, forgot about that one, -3.7C now, maybe a triple frost, frost on frost, on frost

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Another cold night here with a low of -1.6c

Currently; Clear with little wind.
Temp 0c

Dp -1.2c

WC -3.6c
Wind West 6mph

post-12319-0-05875600-1419925625_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Morning all......

Temp -1.8C

Min of -3.2C

Again temperatutre has been up and down again, with the lowest recorded just after midnight.

Very white hoar frost  as well.

MIA 

• Like 2

Posted

A low of -7.1C, currently -5.2C. Cloud has come over, though it is broken. Very calm.

• Like 1