Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

My expectations for here is that I think we'll see the temps slowly rise through this morning before the rain arrives just after lunch. Then the real interest will be from late afternoon onwards. Having that little bit of extra height may help me but it will be interesting either way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Morning all

Came straight here this morning.....

Temp 1.3C Min overnight of -0.6C, with frost still on most surfaces.

Dull and cloudy with clouds moving slowly eastwards. 

Not sure if low is going south as I was expecting a slight easterly this morning.

Keep up the spiirt.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

Good Morning all

im a very interested reader on this site but still very much a novice !!   I live Ng16 area ( Kimberley ish )  , from what you guys have posted am i correct in thinking a decent snow event for this evening onwards ??  Any maps with possible accumulation amounts available please as unsure where you find all this fantastic info

many thanks , keep up the good work !

Posted

Honestly no idea what will happen today, my fear is that when the cold upper's finally mix out the mild air the precip would of already cleared with the dregs staying north of here.

Euro4 a lot further south though so probably a case of radar watching now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

It was very nice to experience a frosty Christmas morning here in Warwickshire and the day itself felt chilly after the mild spell. Constant views of the Cheshire Gap streamer passing to the north was nice too. Some brief showers with a hint of sleetiness arrived to Coventry during the evening. Another slight frost here at Rugby last night with overcast skies currently as we await wet snow possibilities this afternoon.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Looking good with Meto update.. :smiliz19:

A depression will track southeastwards across England and Wales during Boxing Day, clearing
southeast England overnight.A spell of snow is likely, even to lower levels, on the northern
flank of this depression. South of the depression centre,rain will fall, heavy at times.
There is more confidence now in the track of the depression, the main uncertainty revolving
around the balance between rain and snow, which depends on the intensity.  Where snow does
occur accumulations of 2 to 4 cm are likely even to lower levels, with more than 10 cm on
high ground. There is the risk of 10-15 cm, even at low levels, parts of Wales and the
Midlands being most at risk
.  :w00t:

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action

Issued at: 0820 on Fri 26 Dec 2014

There is a 90% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 1500 on Friday and 1200 on Wednesday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Low pressure, tracking southeastwards over central and southern England later Boxing Day and overnight into Saturday (27th), is expected to give a period of sleet and snow across the Midlands, some northern parts of East Anglia and southern parts of both NW England and Yorks and Humberside. Some significant snow accumulations are possible, especially on higher ground. Strong winds will develop in places for a time, exacerbating the chill. As the low clears away southeastwards, cold air will move south across the whole of England giving a risk of wintry showers and icy conditions across England for the rest of Saturday. Sunday to Tuesday, high pressure brings lighter winds but with widespread night frosts and freezing fog patches which may linger well into the day in places. The combination of both night time sharp frosts and daytime low temperatures gives a high probability of mean temperatures widely 2�C or lower. Later Wednesday, strengthening southwesterly winds may lift temperatures across northern England but it is likely to remain cold elsewhere.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

Rmgfs152.gif

Right on that line at 21z, by then the main precip would of passed through so hoping the METO have it right and GFS is playing up the upper air temps.

Posted

06z is a slight shift south by 30/40 miles or so at least so fingers crossed for another 30/40 miles correction like the 00z EURO4.

Posted

The 06z is an upgrade has the low a tighter system with slightly lower 850s compared to the 00z. The heaviest precip also a touch further south. The easiest way to compare all factors is to look at the pedicted snow accumulation chart at +15 then compare it to the 00z

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm back in Cannock for Christmas, great timing! I am counting my blessings I'm not on forecasting duty for this one.

Posted

Yes hopefully some fun and games later Nick.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

This all seems horribly marginal to me. Best to expect rain, then anything more than that is a glorious bonus! :)

Bish

Thinking the same here BB. Edited by Fozfoster
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Morning guys,

Yes it does look marginal Bish and elevation will make a big difference.It looks like PM and Big Snow are situated well for this. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Merry Christmas to one and all. :) Hoping for some white stuff to top it off. Very grey here this morning after a rather pleasant sunny day yesterday. Just 3oC here currently.

Posted

Yes hopefully some fun and games later Nick.

Hi PM should definitely be fun and games for this area, having viewed current radar there's definitely plenty of ppn to come, I can only imagine the disruption it would cause this part of the world. I might have to stop of the boxing day booze so I can drive up into them hills.

:smiliz19:

Posted

When I checked first thing this morning, my local weather station had a forecast for Solihull of 'Rain turning to snow' for this afternoon and 'Heavy snow' for this evening and overnight. It's now changed to 'Rain mixed with occasional snow' for both forecasts..........right on the borderline here, I reckon.

Good luck everyone!

Bish

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hopefully looks like the low res models compared to the higher red ones are being brought in line with fax charts and UKMO thus a southerly tracking low.

For me this will be one of those events where sleet could we'll be plenty and snowfall limited till late but places like Dudley and thus Gord will see quite a bit of snow. If the Euro 00z is right we are in line for the most ppn! :)