Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Remarkably fog free so far this month with just 5 hours of fog recorded, 4 of them at night. December is, on average, the foggiest month of the year here and the first 22 days would normally see about 81 hours of fog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Those warm seas working wonders, 12 to13c overnight across the Midlands!

Is that the cause of the weird heatwave? SWerlies bringing Gulf-Stream-warmed air?

I've got a lot to learn about weather patterns in my new home! :)  I've got the hang of the topography, and suddenly the phrase "the Cheshire Gap" makes sense! After most of a lifetime hoping for Beasterlies for Edinburgh, now I need to hope for NWerlies for snow in Telford! 

Mind you, the heating bill is zero so far this winter - keep having to have windows open in our unheated flat, because it's too damn hot… bring on those frosts!

Posted

Morning fellow Midlanders, Could get rather nippy on the 27th..

162-290UK.GIF?21-0

Lovely, what a great chart. It would be fantastic if it came off!

Still very breezy here. I'll be gald when the wind dies down (unless it starts snowing). Temperature hovering around the 10-11C all day, and night.

Edited by picog

Posted

Temperature hovering around the 10-11C all day, and night.

Same here, in fact we haven't dipped below 10°C for over forty eight hours now.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Hi guys,

As Bish describes its been grey and mild for 3 days.

However change is afoot.

Was up at 5:45 and the temp was 8.1C with the rain from the cold front having passed thru';

Now the temp is 4.8C and still falling.

Just watched Carol (it makes it worth it getting up so early!)  and the BBc (MO?) are now talking about Cheshire gap showers tomorrow (Maybe a flake or two?(my hope)) for Xmas day for the favoured few?  

Boxing Day looks interesting. The MO now appear to see the low coming down from the Nw above Ireland. If it still moves SSE as was forcast yesterday we could see some of the white stuff on boxing day night and saturday.

Carol indicated hill snow so they are now starting to talk of snow. Will the trend contunue?  . Lets hope so...

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted

Weather models are very trying at the moment.

It`s going to get cooler is all I see now,saturday/sunday brief cold from the north,still snow chance.

Is this wind ever going to drop? 3rd consecutive howling noght, and not been below 10C since early Sunday. Feels more October than Christmas.

It`ll certainly not be a warm/mild as Christmas 1988,thats a fact.

Posted

Great start to Christmas; skies have cleared, temperature has dropped back to 5.1C, and still faling, and it's calm!

I like the sound of a few Cheshire Gap streamers MIA. We generally miss them here, but sometimes we get lucky.

Posted

Great start to Christmas; skies have cleared, temperature has dropped back to 5.1C, and still faling, and it's calm!

I like the sound of a few Cheshire Gap streamers MIA. We generally miss them here, but sometimes we get lucky.

Latest BBC forcast sow some showers entering the Cheshire gap but slowly dieing out.

However a flake  was mentioned for the Staffs hills! So we never know.

The temp here maxed at 6.9C, and I think  will start to fall from here on in. 

The course of the low on boxing day evening, I noticed, is still moving westwards on the latest GFS. Another 1-200 miles west and we will in the west mids be in wit a real shout of substantial snowfall.

I would like to see it turn more south over Northern Ireland,  It it does tis we will have a reasonable chance of being blasted (or do I mean a greater chance of being plastered? LOL), than is currently being suggested by the MO.

PS I've just seen a forcast of sleet to Norwich on saturday so we could still be lucky.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

Finally given in after 9 days and viewing the charts now, definitely a one off occasion till New Year, bah humbug, hopefully maybe then i'll come back to find SOME interest surely??.

Have a great Christmas anyway folks :w00t: .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Lots of chatter on the model thread tonight ~ not that I understand a tenth of it ~ but seems to be some excitement about January for snow & cold etc!

Here's hoping!

In the meantime, Merry Christmas Midlanders ☺ï¸

post-15638-0-06348300-1419447744_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I don't, do not fancy a wet Xmas day, models look cold from Sunday, maybe frost/fog if skies clear

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Met Office symbols going for Sleet here on Boxing day night, even some heavy snow for Dudley at first. Obviously will change but hopefully an indication things are moving in favour for us.

• Like 1

Posted

Temperatures dropping on the 5-day forecast. Now some sleet forecast for Ludlow area on Saturday evening. Might progress to snow as MIA suggested earlier.

Merry Christmas fellow Midlanders, wishing you all a cold, frosty and snowy time!

• Like 1

Posted

Temperatures dropping on the 5-day forecast. Now some sleet forecast for Ludlow area on Saturday evening. Might progress to snow as MIA suggested earlier.

Merry Christmas fellow Midlanders, wishing you all a cold, frosty and snowy time!

Yep and thanks,

Do you mean friday evening? Its closer than we think!!

The MO are bringing this low more and more south.   It's a  fine balance between it deepening too quickly and going north; or too slowly and it will go up the channel. At the moment the trends seem about right for us. BUT we all know how accurate ( Sorry difficult to predict), any snowfall is to get it right.

For longer term cold I still think the deepening and tracking of this low is crucial.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yep and thanks,

Do you mean friday evening? Its closer than we think!!

The MO are bringing this low more and more south.   It's a  fine balance between it deepening too quickly and going north; or too slowly and it will go up the channel. At the moment the trends seem about right for us. BUT we all know how accurate ( Sorry difficult to predict), any snowfall is to get it right.

For longer term cold I still think the deepening and tracking of this low is crucial.

MIA

its too far north for us! rain all the way, Will enjoy your snow!

• Like 1

Posted

Snow signal looks to have increeased this morning, certainly for the west midlands. MetO 5- day forecast for Ludlow area now has several hours of sleet and a proper snow signal. Small steps, and all thAt ...

Good luck everyone!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Merry Christmas all, Tomorrow looks interesting for Snow prospects. Hope every-one has an enjoyable day!

45-574UK.GIF?25-051-574UK.GIF?25-0

• Like 2

Posted

Morning and a happy xmas day to all.

Cold, crisp and frosty (mainly ground and surface) this  morning.  

Min overnight at 0.8C (not bad considering with a wnw wind we are in the shadw effect from the Brum and Wolv complex. 

Temperature now at 2.6C with ground frost persisting.

Tomorrow looks more and more interesting. snow prospects are increasing and if the track of the low stays as currently forecast we could well end up lucky. However it could well be a nowcast type situation. Probably most seeing sleetiness with any higher ground fortunate. However we may see further upgrades tomorrow.

Good luck today, looks favourite for a walk in Brueton Park  afternoon with the family (if we can get up from the xmas lunch  table).

Bish, Fiz, DWWW, DRG, etc -  don't forget the drink if it actually happens tomorrow! 

It was in my diary for Xmas!!!

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2

Posted

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 0832 on Thu 25 Dec 2014

There is an 80% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 1500 on Friday and 0000 on Wednesday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

A spell of wet and windy weather is expected to develop over the UK on Boxing Day and at first on Saturday 27 December. Snow is likely in some northern and central areas, more especially on hills, with some significant accumulations possible. There is also an increasing signal for snow to affect some southern areas. The areas currently at greatest risk are parts of the Midlands, and southern parts of northern England. More settled conditions are expected thereafter, although it is likely to remain cold with widespread night frosts, and with mean temperatures widely 2C or less.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Meeeeeerrrrrrrrry Christmas to all

Cold day Saturday after the back edge SNOW :smiliz19:

54-580UK.GIF?25-645-574UK_fyx8.GIF

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2