Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Hi Midlanders ! Looking for some info, my County football team are playing Nottinghamshire at Rainworth FC on Sunday.

Is there anyone from the area on here ? Do you have much lying snow, if so, I doubt the game will be played, unless a quick thaw and it drains quick.

Thanks

cannot see any low level snow surviving friday's fairly big mild sector, say under 200m, I'd expect full thaw

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Midlanders ! Looking for some info, my County football team are playing Nottinghamshire at Rainworth FC on Sunday.

Is there anyone from the area on here ? Do you have much lying snow, if so, I doubt the game will be played, unless a quick thaw and it drains quick.

Thanks

I live about 300yards from Rainworth FC lol

Roads are pretty much ok, about 3-4cm of snow on garden/grass/footie pitch, but it's due to warm up by the weekend. Sunny on Saturday 5deg and up to 7degrees on Sunday so would have thought the game will be on :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Funnily enough I was going to say as the colder air creeps back over us then we may see some light snow if there's anything left from the damn thing.

Yes SSIB,

Signs of the drier air creeping in from the south east

I started off with a temp of about 2.4C around 09:00, got up to a max of 2.8C (dp of 0.3C)at 13:00.

It has now dropped back to a temp of 2.2C, with a dew point of -0.3C so anything falling will probably be wintry.

MIA  

Posted

I live about 300yards from Rainworth FC lol

Roads are pretty much ok, about 3-4cm of snow on garden/grass/footie pitch, but it's due to warm up by the weekend. Sunny on Saturday 5deg and up to 7degrees on Sunday so would have thought the game will be on :)

How spooky is that, thanks for the info, fingers crossed the pitch is fit for Sunday then. Thanks again

Posted

no more snow for the foreseeable future for us members at low levels, completely back to square 1, flat charts in GFS FI, only hope of cold being damned MJO, teleconnections crap! been there before, I'll believe the cold and snow when it's on my doorstep

• Like 2

Posted

Suppose to freeze later tonight,murky and dreary at the moment with light drizzle again with odd flakes of snow,temp has gone up abit 1.8c which was actually today`s max.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Thanks

Rainworth. That just about sums up the last 24 hours for a lot of us!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

no more snow for the foreseeable future for us members at low levels, completely back to square 1, flat charts in GFS FI, only hope of cold being damned MJO, teleconnections crap! been there before, I'll believe the cold and snow when it's on my doorstep

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82300-model-output-discussion-16th-jan-12z-onwards-smile-while-you-post/page-62#entry3135955

Your veiws or nick himself, Net Weathers own Senior forecaster on the future potential for cold....Emmmmm :whistling:

• Like 2

Posted

eh? where did I mention Nick F? nothing to do with Nick, it's to do with cold spells being reliant on MJO etc, when GFS is as flat as a pancake

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Snowing here again. nothing major but still nice to look at it fly past the lamp post...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Light snow again here too. Finished with a mean depth of 14cm and a max' today of 0.0c.

Posted

attachicon.gifIMG_20150121_113552971.jpgGreat Longstone at 11.00am this morning pretty difficult journey, what with fog and blowing snow very tricky

approx. 20 to 25cms

also plenty of vids from Beeley Moor most are at 250m to 350mtrs

Mark a totally random question... do you know what the ASL is for Wirksworth and is it higher than Matlock?? and also some lovely looking shots there mate....

Posted

There's a band of precipitation coming in fron east anglia and the was right now!! Lets see if it makes it inland a bit more! ! Temps of 1 and dew point 0 degrees!

Posted

Mark a totally random question... do you know what the ASL is for Wirksworth and is it higher than Matlock?? and also some lovely looking shots there mate....

The Earthtools website should be able to tell you the ASL for anywhere in the UK, Bigsnow.

Bish

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The only thing faulty with the MetO warnings were the people who failed to read what the warnings actually said!  

If you can't read, get Mummy to read them for you.   The pweety yellow piccy-tures do not depict where snow is actually expected to fall .....

At last a voice of reason this place fills me with despair sometimes :(

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

For those in the Midlands who've seen little snow so far, then this Winter needs to be repaired. I think it's broken. :/

Posted

The Earthtools website should be able to tell you the ASL for anywhere in the UK, Bigsnow.

Bish

cheers Bish... possible Bigsnow house move so need to know these things... lol :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-23wkZfiGc

video from this morning north Derbyshire. 20 min drive even in the panda it was a worry, but took it steady and no probs, just drove in tractor tracks.

not sure on ASL on both towns, Matlock Youth hostel is around 180 to 190, I have free app on smart phone that displays asl when out, pretty handy.

I have family in Wirksworth so will check this weekend. (I know my house is at 185m but as we know here a 10 min walk can take you to 250 easy

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

eh? where did I mention Nick F? nothing to do with Nick, it's to do with cold spells being reliant on MJO etc, when GFS is as flat as a pancake

Never mentioned that you did mention Nick, i was just pointing out that your were saying that the MJO, teleconnections are crap! and a times i do agree but not all,

Nick said "the medium to long range outlook into the beginning of February is certainly looking rosy for cold lovers looking at the teleconnections and MJO"

He's Current opinion on the teleconnections and MJO has bases ....and yours......that they are just Crap!

• Like 2

Posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-23wkZfiGc

video from this morning north Derbyshire. 20 min drive even in the panda it was a worry, but took it steady and no probs, just drove in tractor tracks.

not sure on ASL on both towns, Matlock Youth hostel is around 180 to 190, I have free app on smart phone that displays asl when out, pretty handy.

I have family in Wirksworth so will check this weekend. (I know my house is at 185m but as we know here a 10 min walk can take you to 250 easy

Earth tools has Wirksworth  at an extra 5m asl.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

For those in the Midlands who've seen little snow so far, then this Winter needs to be repaired. I think it's broken. :/

Come on guys.

December about 1degree above average

January looks to  be heading for normal to 0.5C above average. (though could still change)..

It looks like many other winter's past to me.

The temperature has been about 1C just to high for the midlands to receive widespread snowfall inspite of very good synoptics.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but Cohen's predictions(OPI Man) look pretty well spot on to me. 

His forecast was for the UK was mild Decemeber, becoming colder during Jauary and then a much colder than average for february. so there is at least one forecast that isn't bust yet.

PS He said we might be just too far west to get te full cold so don't go overboard with expectations.. 

Still a full 8 weeks to get substantial snowfalls (if thats what you are after), so please keep a balanced attitude and see what is given to us.

I for one have found this winters synoptics very interesting as things keep popping up unforcasted (I hope this tendency might well come to our benefit soon).

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 3