Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Glad the moods improved in here :) Good luck look forward to seeing it build up on the Midlands webcams!

Posted

Overnight low of -4.0°C here in Solihull. Currently 0.6°C with a Dp of -0.3°C

Some promising developments overnight, it seems. Kudos to MIA for spotting the low forming over southern Ireland yesterday evening.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

think we all know, you are in prime/sweet spot, because of elevation and further east

Yep its the very reason I packed the family up and moved up here... the things you do for a bit of snow.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Looking good.. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=em&fcTime=1421712000

Issued at: 
1051 on Tue 20 Jan 2015

Valid from: 
1600 on Tue 20 Jan 2015

Valid to: 
1200 on Wed 21 Jan 2015

An area of snow is expected to extend northeastwards from parts of Wales across the Midlands and into parts of northern England on Tuesday evening and night, persisting into Wednesday morning. Accumulations of 3-8 cm are likely in places, perhaps 10-15 cm very locally on high ground. The snow should ease gradually through Wednesday morning.

The public should be aware of the risk of disruption to transport. A complex frontal system is running into the UK from the west and is coming up against a stagnant cold airmass on its forward flank over central and eastern areas. Rain arriving in westernmost areas will readily turn to snow as it comes inland later on Tuesday, spreading into Wales along with central and northern England overnight. The snow is likely to accumulate easily, given the cold ground surfaces.

Details remain uncertain regarding the extent and amount of snowfall, in particular the northward extent of snowfall into northern England (indeed some areas may miss the snow altogether). Therefore it is likely that this warning will be updated in the light of new information and may be upgraded to Amber should confidence increase sufficiently. HighLikelyVery Low Green Yellow Amber Red Green Yellow Amber Amber Green Green Yellow Amber Green Green Yellow Yellow   Very LowImpactHigh What does this mean?

Local Authorities affected and associated warning levels Derby, Derbyshire, Leicester, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, Rutland
Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Love the way it says gradually easing off wed morning hints that its going to stall over us. They are also not sure about how far north it would go.

Whos looking forward to shefs forecast tonite big u turn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Love the way it says gradually easing off wed morning hints that its going to stall over us. They are also not sure about how far north it would go.

not me pmsl! useless thing, I'm just looking on here, far better people on here, to take note of

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Not me lol she is absolutely useless

Posted

Steve do you reckon it will still pan out like your graphic?

Edited by Will Padz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Good luck with the snow tonight guys / girls

localised snow up to 10cm, however across the piste 2-5cm.

Enjoy what it brings.....

S

2-5, i'll settle for, low ground here really

Posted

Reading the MetO warning reminds me that one thing in our favour for snow tonight/tomorrow is that with low ground temps, if we do get any it has a chance of actually settling - unlike during the infamous slushfest of winter/spring 2013 ..... Whether it is snow to start with at my low altitude and location is, of course, another matter!

Posted

S

Meto go for up to 15cm.. We shall as ever see.

Posted

I sense this may be another mainly Peak District and Snowdonia event - orographic enhancement.

Posted

06Z Euro 4 hardly spectacular. 06z NMM is alot better for us.

Nice for those of us in the west of the region though (she said selfishly).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

S

Steve, can I ask if you think it will be snow at lower levels like here should anything fall or are we too marginal?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Meto go for up to 15cm.. We shall as ever see.

I would take that all the way to the bank some heavy snow symbols now on my app for midnight until 5 we shall see.

• Like 1

Posted

EURO4 6z shows heavy snow for a time in the E Mids, but little accumulation. It seems to me that the conditions are primed for accumulation with a dry ground, low enough DP and ppn heavy. Let's see if it's right!

I wonder if they will consider splitting this thread into W Mids/E Mids as that could cause some frustration later on.

• Like 1

Posted

I sense this may be another mainly Peak District and Snowdonia event - orographic enhancement.

The further North and West of Birmingham you are the better for this event.

Anyone else should prepare for disappointment, but I hope to be proved wrong.