Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

18z GFS looking better for the midlands shorter term..

contradictory to the post above, never looked a snowfest, but always and still does suggest possible lying snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

contradictory to the post above, never looked a snowfest, but always and still does suggest possible lying snow

Just how I see it- GFS brings more precip to region, with cold uppers than the previous run. 

Im at uni in manchester so its not even an IMBY post 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Is it only snowing in my bit of Solihull at the moment Fizz511? DWW? Bishop Brennan?

It has been snowing here in my little patch of Solihull, sinnce about 8:45.

At first it was moderate with medium sized flakes and temp of 2.0C.

It has slowly lessoned to snizzle but is still falling and some surfaces are turning slushy as the temp has fallen to 1.0c.

Interesting that it has just started in bham now. I thought it was coming from the North West and down the Cheshire gap.

MIA

Thats 3 days in the last 4 with snow seen falling.

Got to remain optimistic about this week.,

MIA

Posted

Heavens above micro fine snow here too , (looks a proper fine sugar dusting )

If this keeps up , could have 0.5 mm in morning

Posted

Light snow flurries here for about the past hour or so now. Nothing visible on the ground. Temp just hovering around the freezing mark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

South mids could do especially well if the GFS is to be believed 

post-18571-0-53829100-1421618700_thumb.p

Might have to come home to "see the family"   :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

I really wish I could bank this GFS run and make it happen. I'd imagine this is about as good a run as we're likely to get for our location. Can't see there being any further upgrades for us. Maybe upgrades in general, but i'd be amazed if they were upgrades with regards to snow amounts for the midlands.

Pub run GFS has certainly delivered.

edit:

If i'm looking at this right 18z GFS has the band of PPN arriving in the midlands around 00 to 03am on Wednesday morning, it then stays over us for 18 hours. Woah.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted

Sugar coating dusting on a few surfaces now.

No scientific reasoning behind my next statement and I don't want anyone to take it seriously at all. None of the professionals point towards what I'm going to say. I'm just a pleb with no more tools than a laptop and a lampost.

Anyway, this is it...

Most major cold events with significant snow over the past few years have had a week build up to it which has been full of messy bits and pieces laying down quick dustings or giving quick hit spectacular falls...then...the big one has hit. The last week certainly has had the feel of one of those messy weeks that leads up to something big.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying something big is going to happen...I wouldn't know because nothing's happened yet.

There...said it. Now go read something by someone who knows what they're talking about.

Edited by Gord

Posted

I keep looking at different charts on the 18z GFS and it's bringing a tear to my eye :p 

Posted

Yup gfs 18z is excellent for us. But see the 12z which showed no lying snow for us to see how quickly it could change. Fingers crossed itl stick as it is now :D

Posted

Just looking at the GFS 18Z and nearly fell off my chair, from how I read it around 20hrs if snow for us on wednesday. I understand that ppn charts are often overcooked but the accumulations charts look heafty too! Anyway, after todays swings and roundsabouts on the models, I'll be tidying the toys and picking up the dummy ready to throw them about tomorrow after the downgrade no doubt in the morning

• Like 1

Posted

Thing i find worrying is the met office has no warnings out for snow yet and we are 2 days away from this 'snow event'

Fergieweather has said they do not have enough confidence on PPN location/amount yet. Warnings will go out tomorrow if they become more confident. 

Yup gfs 18z is excellent for us. But see the 12z which showed no lying snow for us to see how quickly it could change. Fingers crossed itl stick as it is now  :D

It really is an amazing run for midlands. It's at about T60 so you would expect it to be relatively accurate. Unfortunately this week has shown that it's most likely not the case. To be honest I still expect significant changes on every run right up to the 18z on Tuesday. 

I'd chop my little toe off for this run to come off as accurate  :rofl:
Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

Just looking at the GFS 18Z and nearly fell off my chair, from how I read it around 20hrs if snow for us on wednesday. I understand that ppn charts are often overcooked but the accumulations charts look heafty too! Anyway, after todays swings and roundsabouts on the models, I'll be tidying the toys and picking up the dummy ready to throw them about tomorrow after the downgrade no doubt in the morning

always a downgrade on 00z

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

It has been snowing here in my little patch of Solihull, sinnce about 8:45.

At first it was moderate with medium sized flakes and temp of 2.0C.

It has slowly lessoned to snizzle but is still falling and some surfaces are turning slushy as the temp has fallen to 1.0c.

Interesting that it has just started in bham now. I thought it was coming from the North West and down the Cheshire gap.

MIA

Thats 3 days in the last 4 with snow seen falling.

Got to remain optimistic about this week.,

MIA

That direction changed earlier it's now coming down from the N/E

"Got to remain optimistic about this week.,"..... It's happening this week :wink:

Currently 1.0c Light SNOW :smile:

Posted

Fergieweather has said they do not have enough confidence on PPN location/amount yet. Warnings will go out tomorrow if they become more confident.

Hopefully they have at least a amber warning out by tmoz for midweek ☺

It's times like this I wish I didn't read the forums! Just looked on the Met and have 6 hours of heavy snow and 15 hours of light snow through Weds from tonight's update. Most normal people would allow themselves to get excited and get the sledges ready. Those who read these forums know that the minute they do that there'll be a huge shift or a random warm sector arrive on the next run! Rollercoaster.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I will eat my hat if we don't have huge

downgrades tomorrow.

I very much hope I am eating my hat!

I'll send a few around to have a chew on.... I'm sure a few N'w  Midlanders may have a number of hats they need to get rid of :hi:

Chin up Wolf :D

• Like 1