Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Absolutely Fizz :D One thing in not speaking about the S word is just how cold it's going to be this coming week 

IF the snow does come Tues/Weds it will be around for a number of days :yahoo:

06z GFS showing daytime temps Monday to Friday, It's just a general idea on how cold this week maybe and with SNOW SNOW SNOW.... It could be a week to remember :cold: :cold: :cold:

54-778UK_ymp8.GIF78-778UK_rtg8.GIF102-778UK.GIF?17-6126-778UK_dqg2.GIF150-778UK_cpx7.GIF

Frosty! your posts are like, but yeah, is looking okay for now, 12Z's the key, i will be back on at 6pm ish, hopefully not moaning about westerlies

• Like 1

Posted

It'll be interesting to see what happens tonight down here.  The Met Office algorythmic not-a-forecast (which I assume is based on the 6 hourly Euro4 runs) currently has rain for Evesham from 11pm to 2am.  This is not surprising since it also shows the temperature dropping only to 3c through this evening ..... (finally falling to freezing towards dawn, after the rain/sleet/snow has long cleared away)

However, if the temp drops off more than that, then I would think the risk of snow increases, albeit rain/sleet always more likely at this low altitude.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I bet Stuart Pearce is hoping for 2ft of snow tomorrow morning save his Gregory for another week...

Sorry guys bit off topic....Who needs 2ft (i didn't say that did i :laugh: ) to save stuart Pearce from the dreaded Jill Jack :)

Best moment for me was Stuart Pearce stepping up to take another penalty in Euro 96 Quarter-Final shootout against Spain

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Sorry guys bit off topic....Who needs 2ft (i didn't say that did i :laugh: ) to save stuart Pearce from the dreaded Jill Jack :)

Best moment for me was Stuart Pearce stepping up to take another penalty in Euro 96 Quarter-Final shootout against Spain

best reaction you will ever see from a proud England player...don't have passion like that in the game today... glad they won today he deserves a break..

Just a shame he was coming to the end of his career when he played for my mighty HAMMERS!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Will be interesting to see if those showers produce anything later tonight. Might stay up a bit late to do some radar/street light watching :)  It's Saturday afterall.

Posted

Snowing for two hours now..... 1-2 inches eventually..... Coming down thickly..... Temp -1c.....the showers are alinging along liverpool bay in a line across to here now â„ï¸â›„ï¸â„ï¸â›„ï¸â„ï¸ So happy....

Edited by Will Padz, 22 minutes ago.

• Like 3

Posted

Went up to Stafford Castle today for the first time in a long time to introduce our young dog to somewhere different (used to live in Gnosall a few years back and went there all of the time with my old dog, his ashes are scattered up there as he used to go barmy every time we pulled up in the car there! One of his favourite places. Our new dog had a great time there today as well!).

Was a glorious afternoon up there and didn't feel too cold. Could see the stream of snow showers to the north up there including a rainbow at one point.

A stop at the Red Lion ice cream farm in Haughton and another at the village cafe in Codsall has made for a lovely winters afternoon exploring my old haunts around Staffordshire!

I see there is a bit of interest for tonight but no forecast I've seen has gone for anything so I will hold judgement.

• Like 1

Posted

Met office have rain showers here tomorrow

30% Precipitation probability of a rain shower.... :shok: 

Posted

This is turning into a pathetic cold spell

for parts of the midlands.

Rain showers?!

All the showers seem to avoid here!

Edited by The Wolf

Posted

We never get above 20% chance for anything until Tuesday evening.

I'm not viewing this as a classic cold spell though and never have done really. However, this is the 6th January of the decade so far (including Jan 2010) and I reckon for here, it's the 3rd best for cold and snow so far behind 2010 and 2013. Can't decide which one of those 2 is in first place before you ask!

Talking of January 2010, the cold that was around in the first week of that month had surprises. I remember being on here during the evening of Sunday 3rd with us all moaning that the cold spell was going to be a dry one all week long according to the models and the forecasts. On the morning of Tuesday 5th, less than 48 hours later, my work was sending me home early due to very heavy snowfall. Something that might be worth a reminder with this week coming up.

Edited by Gord
  • Like 5

Posted

I'm not viewing this as a classic cold spell though and never have done really. However, this is the 6th January of the decade so far (including Jan 2010) and I reckon for here, it's the 3rd best for cold and snow so far behind 2010 and 2013. Can't decide which one of those 2 is in first place before you ask!

Talking of January 2010, the cold that was around in the first week of that month had surprises. I remember being on here during the evening of Sunday 3rd with us all moaning that the cold spell was going to be a dry one all week long according to the models and the forecasts. On the morning of Tuesday 5th, less than 48 hours later, my work was sending me home early due to very heavy snowfall. Something that might be worth a reminder with this week coming up.

Indeed Gord, things can change very quickly and guess what we are 3 to 4 days away yet and it's :cray:

Come on guys as gord mentions " us all moaning that the cold spell was going to be a dry one all week long" and then 48 hours later....SNOW HEAVEN

Great reminder Gord :D on just how things can change in just 48hrs .....chin up....YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.... 3 to 4 days away yet !!!!!

EDIT..... Will Padz,  You lucky (          ) :laugh:

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted

A nice winter's day here. Now frosty with a temp of -0.5C. Ice remained on pond and garden path all day.

I see we have been forecast rain showers this evening. Maybe the temp will rise later, or else they will fall as snow. Next 4 days although cold, currently have virtually no snow in the MetO forecast, but quite a few rain showers. The cold and the precipitation don't seem to be happening together at the right times! Still we have to remeber that forecasting snow is extremely difficult, so I hope the forecasts are wrong.

Posted

that looks good mate!! Any more updates from the 12z?

Not that clever shaky http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=331

Love to know what this is all about though.... :D  Tomorrow 18:00-21:00

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

Not that clever shaky http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=331

Love to know what this is all about though.... :D  Tomorrow 18:00-21:00

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

but it is showing a potentail stream of snow showers coming in of the north sea tomorrow into the midlands in -6upper air! !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

typical! steady streamer rolling along nicely about 12 miles above me. please just change wind direction slightly to a bit more northerly, it is hitting sheffield but not here in Chesterfield.

Edited by TyphoonNow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

There seems to be a lot more showers developing over wales now. I wonder if they will start making it over here instead of dying out over the boarder

Posted

There seems to be a lot more showers developing over wales now. I wonder if they will start making it over here instead of dying out over the boarder

Probably die out...but one little one has escaped Wales to our south and has managed to run away up as far as Solihull!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

One little blob of precip just made it as far as me at around 18.30... but it was just a few spots of rain with maybe a bit of sleetiness. Very, very light and barely even worth mentioning. (Edit: I think that was the one that made it to Solihull, actually.) Anyone under the one that's now coming into Shropshire?

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted

Currently 2.2c & DP 0.9c, unless they are very heavy methinks no SNOW for me....Worth a watch though :wink:

Posted

But only according to the Met Office Algorythmic not-a-forecast .....

One run by one model doth not a forecast make :)

Posted

But only according to the Met Office Algorythmic not-a-forecast .....

One run by one model doth not a forecast make :)

Well yes of course...which is why I went on to make the point about January 2010.

Although I have found the Met Office forecasts fairly reliable this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Well yes of course...which is why I went on to make the point about January 2010.

Although I have found the Met Office forecasts fairly reliable this winter.

13th Jan 2010, now that's the best angle for a slider, negative tilt, SE wind ahead of front, although Atlantic broke through 2 days later