Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Temp of 4C this morning, mainly cloudy.

Couple of days of relative mildness to get the pond and garden tidied up for winter.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Looking colder but dry and snowless at this stage here next week, uppers look marginal and will probably be watered down. Seen the carrot dangled, the garden path, a great ECM run all for it to be nothing but a few frosts and some frontal break down flakes before rain. Obviously, it may be completely wrong and turn into something brillant this time round, but unless it's at T24, it's not all that likely to happen. 

Keep a lid on expectations.

The above sounds spot on to me...........
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

Hi all, 

I'm really not getting my hopes up but it would be a lovely birthday present if we were to get snow on Wednesday :D  I think it was 2004 when I last saw birthday snow, I lived in Cardiff then, right on the coast and we got a good covering! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hi all, 

I'm really not getting my hopes up but it would be a lovely birthday present if we were to get snow on Wednesday :D  I think it was 2004 when I last saw birthday snow, I lived in Cardiff then, right on the coast and we got a good covering! 

Blimey, look have far we've moved forward in forecasts - just in the last decade or so. Makes you wonder what forecasting will be like by 2050. 

Just hope I'm here to see it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Blimey, look have far we've moved forward in forecasts - just in the last decade or so. Makes you wonder what forecasting will be like by 2050. 

Just hope I'm here to see it.

Heatwaves in winter lol

Posted

Just scraped a frost here this morning, -0.2C.

First snow symbol has appeared in Ludlow area forecast for Thursday am. Let the fun begin!

Edited by picog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

So chance of snow wed night into thurs i just hope i dont hear that word marginal or warm sector brings tears to our snow loving eyes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Hi all, 

Used to love that old style Weather map! Hated it at first when they changed it to the more modern looking one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

One of the coldest feeling weeks to come in a while, wind chill down to the -10's come Thursday/Friday and that's going to feel Bitter  shiver.gif

Weds/Thurs, Snow Showers coming in from the Northwest, streamer maybe or even the odd trough or two windy.gif

Fax charts will be interesting in the next few days...... troughs can pop up from nowhere in these northerly set ups

With Met Office giving out early Warning for parts of the UK already for Weds, it's only time before the rest of the UK will join in..... will all the FUN OF THE FAIR :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

Used to love that old style Weather map! Hated it at first when they changed it to the more modern looking one.

Yeah me too :)  I loved those iconic weather symbols, and when they used to splash the odd extra snowflake around you knew we were in business! 

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
Posted

It looks like another non-event for snow this week, apart from the locations that have already had a covering of snow this winter.

At best we may see a dusting of snow, but these northerly events are a waste of time for widespread snow.

For my location so far it's been a poor winter with no snow on the ground.

Posted

It looks like another non-event for snow this week, apart from the locations that have already had a covering of snow this winter.

At best we may see a dusting of snow, but these northerly events are a waste of time for widespread snow.

Not sure this time as deep low pressure is close by and so surprise falls are very likely to crop up!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

It looks like a potent Northwesterly, good news for the midlands and even southeast England ,thanks to the Cheshire gap effect.... :cold:

• Like 2

Posted

When there's talk of a Northerly, it isn't really a straight Northerly more of a NW'ly,

The air may come from up North, but that doesn't mean it's coming down the spine of the country in which agreed....a waste of time :doh:

Snow opportune moments becometh the streamer.... Finger-crossed anyway :p

Posted

Watch the video Lukey posted earlier today. This shows a forecast for a lot of snow over a lot of the UK brought in by a northerly airflow. Edited by picog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I'm actually quite optimistic for the upcoming spell from an IMBY perspective. At worst, a few days of clear, sunny, frosty weather, which is what a clean northerly generally brings. For those of us in the west, that's a better bet than an easterly, which unless it's very potent generally just brings us grey, raw nothingness. It's certainly better than today's weather! And of course if the northerly includes a few nice disturbances, then it'll be game on.

And I'm sure many of us can remember that the January 2010 spell looked like being a non-event for a lot of us a few days out; in the event, it delivered to some extent for most people. Here in Bewdley, we had 8cm of powder snow, three successive ice days and lots of bright winter sunshine. If it hadn't been for the truly amazing December that year, I think Jan 2010 would be a lot fresher in some of our minds.

Anyway, it's an experiment: for the last spell I was pessimistic a fair bit. This time round, I'm going to try keeping my spirits up and see whether it makes me feel better. I can't change what the weather does, but I can change how I react to it. :)

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Arctic Hare -

Lovely balanced post. Try to keep it up if it all turns ars about face!

MIA

Posted

Fax charts showing a trough to the NW on weds with the 528dam line ahead of it!!!! and that'll be over us come weds evening with I'm sure.....SNOW FALLING.

All subject to the next 72 odd HRS!!!

PPVM89.png

Loving the Net weather Snow Risk Charts for Weds evening Thurs morning  :yahoo: 

uksnowrisk.pnguksnowrisk.pnguksnowrisk.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Arctic Hare -

Lovely balanced post. Try to keep it up if it all turns ars about face!

MIA

Thanks... and yes, that of course will be the tricky bit! It takes some effort to stay cheerful when you're looking out at hours of cold rain. But I'll try!

Posted

I think the best chance of snowfall in this region will be Wednesday night. After than patience might be required for further chances in the first week of February- if the cold remains in place.

This has been a good winter for my little patch of the Midlands - slight disappointment on Tuesday night but still got a covering which was topped up surprisingly on Wednesday around lunchtime. Added to that the excellent Boxing Day event ( which I was away for but saw the great snow over two days later through didn't feel it was my snowfall as I didn't see it falling)

Means that Nottingham has probably got as much out of this frustrating winter as possibly could be got.

This event doesn't scream out as one for my area as it stands through sometimes a North westerly can deliver showers to this area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Hard to say at this stage. Granted most northerlies deliver little precipitation to the Midlands, however this does look to be a fairly unsettled northerly, with a few troughs.

We also have a bitter north westerly Wednesday into Thursday, which should bring showers well inland.

We are unlikely to see a big fall of snow from this spell, but a few cms may be possible for a few areas, particularly northern and western parts of the region.

Similiar perhaps to Jan 03, but longer lasting than that spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Just noticed we're up to Page 219 of this thread.

Mods, time for a new thread perhaps?  :)

Bish

Tis getting a bit long. Will open up a new one ready for the next weeks wintry excitement. :cold:

post-10703-0-30976200-1422192316_thumb.j

• Like 2