Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

I live not far away and yes it has started to melt. My son played last Saturday on their and it was virtually frozen lol but they played. I am sure it will be gone on Sunday as we are in for a warmish day Saturday.

Thanks for that. Yeah, I'm thinking all will be ok by Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Thanks Andy and great to see you and you're humour back :)

Late April 1981 the best late snowfall in my life, 2 or 3  inches in Coventry, max 1c and it stuck a couple of days, 1 to 2 feet up where TM lives!

One of the best blizzards I've ever seen and even more remarkable for being so late in the season. Snow started to fall at 0200 on Friday the 24th and continued, with a few short breaks, until 2230 on the 26th by which time there was a mean level depth of 59cm with huge drifts. The blizzard was particularly severe on the 26th with a mean wind speed over 40 mph and continuous heavy snow; the 24th was also the latest ice day I've recorded.

The combination of below freezing temperature and a NE/E gale blackened all the spring foliage on the north east side of all the bushes and trees which had started to leaf.

Was it April 2012....had a really warm March and then winter had one last swipe first week of April...some areas in the peaks had nearly 20-30cms that night...

We had a fall of 30cm on the 4th that year.

It's ironic that the last single snowfall of more than 30 cm in January was in 1987 and I've yet to record one in February ( perhaps this year!!) but November, December, March and April have all produced at least one 30 cm snowfall over the same time period.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A cold dry night with clearing sky's, A low of -3.4c. Snow depth 6cm

Currently; Dry & Cold.

Temp -1.8c

Dp -2.4c

WC -4.3c

Wind West 1mph

Snow Cover 100%

Posted

Cheers bud, it feels good to be back :D

Yeah I often find that we tend to have a better chance of snow in Feb and March than Dec or Jan! I don't know if that is statistically correct, it probably isn't but my late Grandad used to always tell me that Feb was the snowiest month.

Statistically it's more likely to snow at Easter than Christmas I believe.

Welcome become, although I see you've moved now :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Goodness me, that was a chilly one last night (-3? -4?, I dont have a weather station!)

Everything looks so beautiful and glittery this morning, definitely a good morning for a walk by the canal :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Coldest temps in the SE last night rather ironic.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Snowy...

Not too sure about that. It is still -7C at 09:00 at the Pershore recording station. 

Here I got down to -5.3C in Solihill at 05:00

It is now at -2.6C and that is with a squirrel currently sat on top of my outdoor recording unit!!!!!

They are amazing creatures. The recording box is 2 meters in the air on top of my bird feeder unit with metal poles(greased) up to it.   He takes a run across the lawn and jumps onto the feeder container (about 4 feet)  and clings on with all his might.

A lovely morning here though

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

Goodness me, that was a chilly one last night (-3? -4?, I dont have a weather station!)

Everything looks so beautiful and glittery this morning, definitely a good morning for a walk by the canal :)

Hiya Fizz....

As you can see it got down to -5.3C here half way between Solihull and Shirley.

As you will know I am in the middle of the conurbation, but I am in a slight valley and quite close to the green area. 

As a  result  I seem to record about 0.5C lower temps than most round here.

I even notice the effect in my car thermometer, as frequently it will drop 0.5C coming up the drive!!

I am pretty certain my unit is recording correctly as I have verified it against 4 or 5 others..  It may also record high because of the squirrel effect (see above). LOL

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

MIA / Fizz,

Monkspath Weather Station recorded an overnight low of -3.8°C

Not very often that we reach a colder min temp than Polar Maritime  :cold:

Bish

Posted

Hiya Fizz....

As you will know I am in the middle of the conurbation, but I am in a slight valley and quite close to the green area. 

I even notice the effect in my car thermometer, as frequently it will drop 0.5C coming up the drive!!

I am pretty certain my unit is recording correctly as I have verified it against 4 or 5 others..  It may also record high because of the squirrel effect (see above). LOL

MIA

Not surprised!

I just go off temps according to online local stations, but like you, we're always a bit colder here than the main Solihull area (although, annoyingly less snowy it would seem!)

Definitely bracing this morning.... :)

Posted

MIA / Fizz,

Bish

Ah, so they were fairly accurate online temps? Interesting...

It's a shame Derbyshire is warming up, I'd have liked to pop up for a walk in the snow tomorrow.

Posted

MIA / Fizz,

Bish

Bish. Do you know the location of the Monkspath weather recording station? 

I would like to pay it a visit...

MIA

Posted

Down to -4.5C overnight here, cars well frozen over this morning.  Up to -0.7C now and a mainly sunny day so far, looking like rain this afternoon however.

Posted

Whats with all there reports of -5s, we only just touched 0 because the stupid cloud refused to do one yet again. No -5 here since March 2013, and no -7 since Dec 2010. Cannot remember such a long spell without a really cold night.

Posted

Down to -4.5C overnight here, cars well frozen over this morning.  Up to -0.7C now and a mainly sunny day so far, looking like rain this afternoon however.

Hi Dudley

Yep still at -0.5C here under a crystal sky.

The frost even where the sun is shining has not started to move yet. This also applies to my recording station at the moment.

Yep looks like rain later for us all.

MIA

Posted

Bish. Do you know the location of the Monkspath weather recording station? 

I would like to pay it a visit...

MIA

Not the approximate location, no. Can't see an address on the website. The Weatherobs map seems to locate it on Kettlebrook Road, near Widney Manor Golf Club.

Why would you like to pay it a visit?

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Made it down to -3 °C here, which isn't too bad. Now -0.5 °C.

Posted

Seems like higher minima in the west of the region. Here it was -2.9C, so a decent frost but nothing out of the ordinary.

Currently -0.3C and still very frosty.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Statistically it's more likely to snow at Easter than Christmas I believe.

Welcome become, although I see you've moved now :)

He should be andy_oxon now :)

Hiya Fizz....

MIA

Seems correct -4c at official stations in the area.

Not the approximate location, no. Can't see an address on the website. The Weatherobs map seems to locate it on Kettlebrook Road, near Widney Manor Golf Club.

Why would you like to pay it a visit?

Bish

Its in a garden I believe, he could peer over the fence - I have been known to stalk out weather stations..

Whats with all there reports of -5s, we only just touched 0 because the stupid cloud refused to do one yet again. No -5 here since March 2013, and no -7 since Dec 2010. Cannot remember such a long spell without a really cold night.

-6.7c Pershore and -6.1c Hereford.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Ah, so they were fairly accurate online temps? Interesting...

It's a shame Derbyshire is warming up, I'd have liked to pop up for a walk in the snow tomorrow.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of snow left tomorrow, Fizz. The temperature doesn't look like getting much above 3c this evening, and then only for a few hours, before colder air comes in behind the cold front. I think it'll be Saturday night or into Sunday before most of the snow is gone.

There's still 12cm of snow lying here and the temperature has only got above 0c in the last few minutes, currently standing at 0.1c.

Posted

The so-called warm sector arriving over the weekend and early next week doesn't seem that "warm" to me. Ludlow area forecast max temps of 7C Sun to Tues which is more average than "warm".

Temp here now above freezing, 3.6C.

Posted

Feels bitter here out in the strong wind, Still 100% snow cover here with little light rain at the moment.

Temp 1.8c

Dp 1.1c

WC -2.8c

Wind West 13mph

post-12319-0-87140600-1422026302_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3