Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Folks, there was never going to be much if anything at low levels, was always going to be a 300m+ setup, as we had no real cold in place

I did see a good heavy flurry last night, was only going to be leading edge snow before the milder air moved in

0n models, cold shot possible late next week 30th, but looks like a high level snow setup again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

No snow here again. I am finding this year very frustrating

least last year never had 4 yellow warnings of snow and none have come of here.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Just took this shot..

post-12319-0-33691900-1421826561_thumb.j

• Like 6

Posted

Freezing drizzle here at 0.9c,still got a slight dusting from late yesterday. :help:

Edit:temp is actually dropping abit 0.6c freezing fog too.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Could be a 2nd year with no lying snow at this rate. Wrong side of marginal is becoming a common theme.

Lets hope this mornings ECM is on to something :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Nothing here. Just wet.

Can I just say that the NMM did pretty well. It seemed pretty accurate with it's distribution of rain, sleet and snow and also with the location and PPN intensity. 

So wrong side of marginal for probably the 1000th time. I'd just love, for once, to see a non marginal event. -2c outside, -10c uppers etc. Good solid snow that settles immediately. Yawnnnn

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Very disappointing non-event, wet this morning, 3.3oC, any vestiges of snow we had (very little) are gone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Well that was fun wasn't it? Looked out at 12.30 and it was heavy snow and all settled again so I thought yeah looking good, well woke up at 8 and yes u guessed it, it's raining and all the snow has gone.....what a brilliant event not

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Well that was fun wasn't it? Looked out at 12.30 and it was heavy snow and all settled again so I thought yeah looking good, well woke up at 8 and yes u guessed it, it's raining and all the snow has gone.....what a brilliant event not

Haha like I said it was the warm sector ! All in all a let down. I wanto move abroad

Posted

Haha like I said it was the warm sector ! All in all a let down. I wanto move abroad

You could always move to the Peak District SSIB! :) 

Probably didn't help that the METO were ramping up yesterday whilst the models were quietly downgrading it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

I'm afraid the snowfall was more in hope than expectation as is always in this part of the world/country.

Posted

Snow looks like its drifting over 10cm in places and in other places 2-5 very small flakes not like the snow on boxing day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Knew the game was up about 7pm last night, when dew points crept above zero and my met office app changed from all night snowfest, to sleet and then rain by dawn! The whole thing was further north than expected and with it the mild sector.

Disappointing but then my hopes were never high. Looks like we may seem some more north westerly attacks towards end of month, so further potential falls for the north and high ground in midlands. Not seeing much for low ground.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

hopeless! Can't they get ANYTHING right?

Sweatyman

Is your reading correct ?

I have 2.4C on my reading here between Solihull and Shirley.

Still warmer than forecast.

According to MetO (BBC at 8:20 and 8:30) Temp max for the midlands today will be 5C in Gloucsr.-

Here was forecast to be 3 in Bham and 4 in the South East Mids.

At 05:00 this morning I looked out to heavy rain, but still quite a covering on the grass.

I see that it is still snowing in Stoke. That appears to have been the snow line north. (About 100 miles further north than forecast due to that pesky low pressure sticking around South Wales for too long. It seems to be filling insitu. 

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Just took this shot..

Nice one PM-yes your elevation makes a big difference.

I had a brief sprinkling around 11pm last night but it soon went and now it's just a dull drizzly morning.

Realistically  a marginal event was always the favourite outcome and so it proved. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

well I for one give up now.  all these marginal events are becoming too common and this winter is rapidly turning into a non starter as far as snow is concerned for the midlands south.  I am going to stop listening to the models too as they are too unreliable and just stop being so optimistic as regards snow and cold.  Britain is very good at producing cold rain and wind but not much else.  If I could move abroad I would.  Tired of it now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow

Massive flakes in Chesterfield. Nicely covering the drive that I've just cleared to get my other half off to work. About 3" now. Not as good as Boxing day but still nice to see.

Posted

Well the Nottingham snow shield worked a treat albeit slighly late kicking in, went to bed at 11pm to heavy snow beginning to settle, woke up this morning to nothing & drizzle LOL

However by all accounts North of Nottingham eg Mansfield etc does have a decent covering, another case of so near yet so far. However can't grumble too much this winter after the treat we had boxing day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Mean depth here is 12cm and it's still snowing steadily. Temp' is -0.1c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Just been to the South east thread....

Dare I tell you?

They are reporting colder air from the continent is filtering in now.

The drizzle is turning to snow across east of Anglia and Kent even into East london on a south east flow.

This is also the source of the air for us now.

It may turn back later here.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Just been to the South east thread....

Dare I tell you?

They are reporting colder air from the continent is filtering in now.

The drizzle is turning to snow across east of Anglia and Kent even into East london on a south east flow.

This is also the source of the air for us now.

It may turn back later here.

MIA

MIA

Don't tease so!

I don't think the collective psyche on this forum can take any more emotional roller coaster - lol

• Like 1