Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Look at the radar images over Northern Ireland atm. It can soon intensify. 

And the cloud isn`t breaking up! http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/satellite.php

Cheers glad u said that. That's exactly what I can see.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

It's looking good for Leicester tonight! I'm going to be envious though because it looks like i'll be about 60 miles too far South here. We'll probably get a rain/sleet mix while Birmingham, Leicester, Notts and Derby get a covering :(

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

It's looking good for Leicester tonight! I'm going to be envious though because it looks like i'll be about 60 miles too far South here. We'll probably get a rain/sleet mix while Birmingham, Leicester, Notts and Derby get a covering :(

First real snow test for the truck, if things pan out positively!  :ninja:

Edited by echobase

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Well the time is ticking down we are getting closer and I was just after a few estimates as to what you guys n girls think you will be waking upto in the morning??

My kids school have just scuppered it all now by sending a txt regarding the Heavy snow forecast and possible closure of school... how dare they!!

Im staying positive for all of the Midlands to see falling Snow over night and many of us all will awake to a nice white wonderland and have some fun early tomorrow morning.

I would say for me in the Peaks as ever will fair well and I estimating/hoping for 6-8cm by tomorrow afternoon... 

GOOD LUCK ONE AND ALL OF YOU.... LET IT SNOW!!!!!!

• Like 2

Posted

Dont like the latest news on beep site and met they have it turning to sleet then rain tomoz morning. Nothing worse than watching it wash away.

Posted

Well the time is ticking down we are getting closer and I was just after a few estimates as to what you guys n girls think you will be waking upto in the morning??

My kids school have just scuppered it all now by sending a txt regarding the Heavy snow forecast and possible closure of school... how dare they!!

Im staying positive for all of the Midlands to see falling Snow over night and many of us all will awake to a nice white wonderland and have some fun early tomorrow morning.

I'm afraid I fear any leading edge snow will be short lived before it turns to rain, despite Steve Murr's continued optimism. To me the signs continue to look just the wrong side of marginal, as stated in recent days. I hope I'm wrong. Hilly ground may fair a little better though.

Someone posted that -3C 850hPa temps are okay which is very optimistic off a warm front from the Atlantic imho.

Edited by West is Best
  • Like 1

Posted

Looking at the radar, the snow may just start to arrive in Worcester from 5pm and then be over the Black Country and Birmingham a short while after this.  Obviously based on current speeds of the front.  It would then have to stall to give significant falls.

Posted

Current radar would suggest anywhere West of the M5 get sleet/snow. East of the M5 get rain, if the band stays on current track.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I would say for me in the Peaks as ever will fair well and I estimating/hoping for 6-8cm by tomorrow afternoon... 

Yes BS, The NW/Extra Snow risk charts looks good for the Peak District through the night into Wednesday morning.

post-12319-0-10583400-1421764224_thumb.p

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Some very light sleet here.

Right on cue.  If the radar be believed, that should be the start of the sleet and the start of the front.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Very, very marginal here. We don't have the on strength for Evap cooling and when you are at 75mASL then it looks like rain/sleet here and I think that's the case below 200m's midlands wide.

Peaks will do well though and higher low levels.

• Like 1

Posted

We've also been informed of possible school closure tomorrow. Hope so :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Yes I think sleet at best here but quickly turning to rain.

Posted

Looks good for heavy snow here through the nite as temps raise slightly tomoz at around 6am looks like turning to sleet rain. Sooo hope not

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

I'm afraid I fear any leading edge snow will be short lived before it turns to rain, despite Steve Murr's continued optimism. To me the signs continue to look just the wrong side of marginal, as stated in recent days. I hope I'm wrong. Hilly ground may fair a little better though.

Someone posted that -3C 850hPa temps are okay which is very optimistic off a warm front from the Atlantic imho.

Possibly, although to be honest the bigger issue is how much precipitation there will actually be by the time it makes it into the Midlands. Not much I fear.

• Like 1

Posted

Possibly, although to be honest the bigger issue is how much precipitation there will actually be by the time it makes it into the Midlands. Not much I fear.

Just what I was thinking.  Unless it stalls, I can see it giving a covering, but moving on out of the area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I don't agree, precipitation may well stall and intensify, that was the expectation. I don't think you need to worry about amounts, start by worrying if it will be snow or rain!

• Like 1

Posted

A few tiny snowfalkes floating down from the sky. Temp currently 1.7C.

Posted

No wonder it couldn't be forecast.  It's a few hours away and we still have no idea what's going on.  Typical snow for GB!