Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Curious about the wording of the MetO warning. It appears they suspect it may stall - am I right in reading it that way? I hope so as otherwise I can't see my area getting more than a dusting!

Yes i think it will before eventually fizzling out. Where it stalls should do well i dont think we will see much in the way of heavy precip though

Posted

Have to say I'm usually quite fortunate in my area of Nottinghamshire we often see snow - whether a good dumping or a flurry.

talking more the City Of Nottingham, Norths Notts usually fairs well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

There seems to be more northerly movement than eastern, so i'm not getting too excited, as i have seen these situations fade away before, but i may and hope i am wrong.

Posted

Sunny here and temps are now 1.6c some patchy mid-level cloud about.

Snow expected to come at dusk.

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/12_30.gif

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/18_30.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A little overcast here with the odd sunny spell, Temps continue to hover around freezing.

Temp 0.3c

Dp -2.1c

WC -2.2c

Wind West 9mph

Posted

Annoying thing living in East Mids is I have to sit here for hours watching all your westerners talk about snow before it arrives/fizzles out in Leicestershire :p

Boxing Day was an annoyance. I live in the centre of Leicester and it started snowing quite heavily. Then it petered out, turned to sleet then rain and nothing remained on the ground. My twitter feed was full of pictures from Nottingham, Mansfield & Loughborough of snow. I shed a single tear and cursed the weather god.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Working in Wolverhampton and its Blue sky here :wallbash:

And? The front is 100 miles away still. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I am right in thinking its another band coming in  later which peps us what is currently in wales which hits the Midlands. The annoying thing about living in Nottingham during these West to east snow events is that we're only 40 miles away from Birmingham & they can be being hammered while we don't see a flake although I have known it to be raining in Brum while snowing here LOL

No, it's this band.

Basically (going by the stronger GFS rather than the UKMO) it largely stays weak as it pivots over the Midlands (becomes a much broader system though). Once over the midlands after 9pm tonight it strengthens as it moves northward. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

for Northampton snow now forecast to start later @ 2200 but heavy snow @ 0600 tomorrow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Current track has it hitting west mids Around 7. And I can't see it further north at all intact looks a touch further south to me and it was shown to go north then kind of pivot over the midlands.

Posted

Beautiful clear, sunny day here. Currently 2.2°C with a Dp of -2.8°C

Could do with it staying clear until after it gets dark, to help the temperature edge that little bit lower.

Bish

Posted

BBC lunchtime forecast looking good for North Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire with the area of snow stalling for hours overnight and into the morning rush hour.

• Like 3

Posted

Current track has it hitting west mids Around 7. And I can't see it further north at all intact looks a touch further south to me and it was shown to go north then kind of pivot over the midlands.

I think we will all get a few cms the band looks quite widespread I think bham north could get hammered i f the ppn doesn't weaken further south I reckon a few cms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Looking at the satellite picture the cloud over east wales and the west midlands is fragmenting and breaking up, i think 7pm this evening is extremely optomistic if at all.

Posted

Looking at the satellite picture the cloud over east wales and the west midlands is fragmenting and breaking up, i think 7pm this evening is extremely optomistic if at all.

Give it chance its not even due for another 5 or 6 hours I think we must be looking at different charts because mine looks good for the whole of the midlands and also remember the ppn is meant to intensify as it hits the midlands.

Posted

Rough estimates

Low ground

East mids - 1-3cm

West mids - 2-5cm

High ground

East mids - 3-7cm

West mids - 6-10cm

North mids peaks - 10-15cm

• Like 2

Posted

There seems to be more northerly movement than eastern, so i'm not getting too excited, as i have seen these situations fade away before, but i may and hope i am wrong.

PPN showing on the Radar around Bristol area. Nothing falling from the sky though....well the odd spot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Look at the radar images over Northern Ireland atm. It can soon intensify. 

And the cloud isn`t breaking up! http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/satellite.php