Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

cannot stand Shef, she seems as bad as dianne oxberry and eno equator on NW thread

local weather sucks!

I'm with you on that I can't stand her either, she always rushes the forecast through, she shouldn't be doing the forecast, mind you Ben rich ent much better lol
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Yes EURO4 doesn't even have the precipitation reaching into the west midlands much let alone east midlands. It looks odd to me. Just a hunch but I think EURO4 has got it totally wrong with regards to how far east the PPN gets. I have nothing to back this up with and don't really know what i'm talking about, other than the fact it just doesn't look right nor does it tally up with NMM and GFS. :p

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Shaky, nmm dosent look too good in my eyes at all, very patchy ppn dispersing very quickly, very small accumulations.

Just realised how many times I used very then, what a complex vocabulary I have.

I found that very funny :p

Posted

Shaky, nmm dosent look too good in my eyes at all, very patchy ppn dispersing very quickly, very small accumulations.

Just realised how many times I used very then, what a complex vocabulary I have.

true light to.moderate at best!! Hey at least its something better than what the euro4 shows!! Anyway from now on its all down to radar watching!! The differences even at.this timeframe are crazy and the fact that ian fergie hasn't mentioned anything must mean this is gona go down to nowcasting! !

Posted

Gfs ok. Nmm good. Ecm good. Euro 4 not good. Bbc okish. Metoffice lack of warnings not good.

Some upgrades required tbh.

Posted

Haha andy I'll blame it on my mental exhaustion of an exam today!

Shaky, I agree better than what we were seeing at 12z, I going to disregard what all the models are showing and just see what tomorrow brings, I can't believe the level of uncertainty over this event

Work from 5-10 tomorrow so I hope I don't miss any snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Ian f  has just said on the model thread  mainly midlands north for snow  event  how much,  noone knows

Honestly, given how many of us felt after the 12z GFS came out, I'll take that right now. Of course, it's the usual problem for our region: "Midlands" meaning Buxton is a very different thing from "Midlands" meaning Northampton! In this case, it matters hugely to most of us which bits of the Midlands are affected... and everything points to that being uncertain until the last minute.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

No idea why i'm still up right now. I don't start work till 4pm so I figured I could just sleep till midday! :D

Anyway the 00z run... Well, it's certainly upped the PPN amounts for a start. I honestly think that quite a large area of the Midlands will see snow from this.

As I said earlier, above 200m and you have a great chance I reckon. Even low ground has a decent chance on the 00z run. I wish I was going to be back in Leicester tomorrow night though! I think Leicester is in a good position to see a covering from it.

It's late and my eyes are being kept open with toothpicks, Tom and Jerry style but i'll go ahead and make a prediction.

I think Birmingham/othee areas of West Midlands. Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Warwickshire and Staffordshire will all get snow from this. Amounts will vary and any areas with a bit of elevation will do better, as they always do in marginal setups.

I expect the Met-O and BBC to issue weather warnings regarding this tomorrow. If they don't, i'll be very surprised.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Latest charts and forecast are not good for widespread low level lying snow I am afraid. My thoughts are that most of us will see snow falling from the sky but it does look like it will be mixed in with some sleet and rain with a wintry mix being a better description. There may be a few low lying areas who see some lying snow but amounts will likely be negligible and transient. 

Over higher ground it is a different story with areas over around 200m likely to keep all the precipitation as snow. However, even here the amounts will not be that great as the precipitation does not look overly heavy by the time it reaches the Midlands. 

Overall I would hazard a guess at small temporary accumulations possible on low ground under 200m, around 2-5cm above 200m and possibly a little more over the very tops of the Peak District where there is already a covering from snow at the weekend. 

Not the best of news I know, I would have liked to see a decent snowfall myself, especially after all the promise shown in the models a few days ago. 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A cold frosty night with a low of -1.9c.

Currently; Dry cold & Clear.

Temp -1.9c

Dp -2.4c

WC -2c

Wind W/N/W 4mph

Snow tonight maybe..

nmmuk-1-27-0.png?20-06

Posted

We're now in radar watching territory. The precipitation is already showing signs if fizzling out over south west Wales.

And with still no warnings from the Met Office, it's not looking promising at all I'm afraid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

No, a covering at best I'd imagine. Cold start here today though at -3 which is a positive.

Posted

Seem to have upgraded for me on the bbc/met forecasts all snow now and from 8pm till 5am ? I'm not throwing the towel in yet

Also just watched the 7:20 forecast and looked as though it could stick around most of Wednesday with the front stalling over us hmmmm

Edited by Wadey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

Big upgrades on my forcast this morning, but tgat means nothing really and with no weather warning its radar/lampost watching time

Good luck everyone

• Like 1