The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Where are the meto warnings for snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Glad to see you sharing your thoughts :D

If and it's a big IF... The 18z upgrades things and is similar to last nights 18z, it will really make things interesting. I don't see any real changes now but it has happened in the past. Even a shift in the mild sector of 50 miles or so could be massive in an event like this.

With the models so C---- at the moment I decided to do my own nowcasting.

Strange things seem to be happeneing over S Ireland at the moment. The trough seems to be developing a secondary low on it.

Look at the netweather Radar charts.

The effect seems to be  to stop the front progressing over N Ireland and to enhance the movement (and rainfall) over S Ireland.

The forming low pressure seems to be moving ESE.

This could be very good news for us on the midlands if the low does develop and move over Southern England.

Could this be the reason the models are so ----- at the moment? 

Could it all turn out OK for us afterall?

MIA

• Like 2

Posted

Unbelievable, thick cloud rolled in just after 2pm here and still hasn't broken up so holding around 1.5c.

Posted

Shrewsbury did well in the last cold snap,colder than here.

-2.2c here coldest early evening so far,strange what a few miles does out of the cloud.

Fax could be more exciting,not much wind from the east. :search:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack1.gif

If uou mean last Tues/Wed, yes we did get a covering out of that when I wasnt expecting anything. So this will still beat last Jan whatever happejs.

Posted

Evening all!!! 

Well, I checked the charts at lunchtime today and it was (was) looking so nice for tomorrow night into Wednesday and through Wednesday - I've just checked them again and it just looks pants!!!!! Sooooo disheartening - we get all worked up, shot down, worked up again, and shot right back down again!!!! grrrrr!!!!! 

• Like 1

Posted

We have snow falling in Matlock!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Happened here between 8pm and 840..... Left 1cm in total, filling in footprints abd where we cleared snow.... Unexpected is the best.... If you look at the radar loop its circulating around the peak district.. Its snowing in leeds Atm.....

Edited by Will Padz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Happened here between 8pm and 840..... Left 1cm in total, filling in footprints abd where we cleared snow.... Unexpected is the best.... If you look at the radar loop its circulating around the peak district.. Its snowing in leeds Atm.....

Its more than welcome to circle back this way and stay a while....

Posted

With the models so C---- at the moment I decided to do my own nowcasting.

Strange things seem to be happeneing over S Ireland at the moment. The trough seems to be developing a secondary low on it.

Look at the netweather Radar charts.

The effect seems to be  to stop the front progressing over N Ireland and to enhance the movement (and rainfall) over S Ireland.

The forming low pressure seems to be moving ESE.

This could be very good news for us on the midlands if the low does develop and move over Southern England.

Could this be the reason the models are so ----- at the moment? 

Could it all turn out OK for us afterall?

MIA

Thanks MIA, I will try to enforce a little PMA myself, like you say this situation is very much nowcasting! My only issue with that is the lampost outside my house has stopped working tonight! Signal perhaps? P.M.A!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hi guys, good luck with tomorrow think some of you midlanders could do well from this system. Nothing too substantial but decent coverings. Good luck!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Right then lets hope for a return to the 06z on the 18z.

I've only seen one frame but already the PPN band looks a tad larger and more intense. Clutching at straws here, but it's a good start :p

edit:

Seen two frames now. Can confirm trend continues from frame 1 haha.

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I've only seen one frame but already the PPN band looks a tad larger. Clutching at straws here, but it's a good start :p

Another straw clutch from me here... Central Ireland is currently experiencing snow and temps of 0-1c. The 850's over those areas are around -2 to -3. Those are the same 850 temps that are expected to be over Central England tomorrow night. Good sign or just a straw clutch?

Definitely interesting though. I stick to my thoughts on height being a massive bonus tomorrow night. Anywhere 200m and above should see a mostly all snow event IMO.

For those of us on lower ground, it could be squeaky bum time but we'll see

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

Another straw clutch from me here... Central Ireland is currently experiencing snow and temps of 0-1c. The 850's over those areas are around -2 to -3. Those are the samw 850 temps that are expected to be over Central England tomorrow night. Good sign or just a straw clutch?

Were clutch any straw we can get our hands on ;) 

Posted

Another straw clutch from me here... Central Ireland is currently experiencing snow and temps of 0-1c. The 850's over those areas are around -2 to -3. Those are the samw 850 temps that are expected to be over Central England tomorrow night. Good sign or just a straw clutch?

Good sign ! 

I'm just going to try and remain positive. PPN is coming. It's winter. It's cold enough to snow. It could therefor snow. Happy days ! (though I still want the 18z to be an upgrade).

Posted

Currently 0.4°C under patchy cloud. Dew Point is -2.1°C

I'm finding it difficult to get particularly excited about tomorrow night, to be honest. I absolutely hate these ultra-marginal will it/won't it events.

Bish

Posted

18z is perhaps a slight upgrade from what I can tell. PPN seems to last a little longer, only a couple of hours or so maybe. Also perhaps a slight eastward shift if i'm seeing it properly.

Need more experienced members to advise.

Posted

18z is perhaps a slight upgrade from what I can tell. PPN seems to last a little longer, only a couple of hours or so maybe. Also perhaps a slight eastward shift if i'm seeing it properly.

Looks weaker to me up to +18

Posted

18z price charts below, seems to be wanting to push more eastwards so believe you are correct.

post-15543-0-95881300-1421704218_thumb.g post-15543-0-50276000-1421704232_thumb.g 

post-15543-0-81589600-1421704242_thumb.g post-15543-0-42624400-1421704253_thumb.g 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

yeah it is cloudy, holding at 0.1C, maybe a good sign as always less cold here when cloudy, 0.1 cold enough for snow, so hopefully cold enough while cloudy for ppn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

What ive found is at a closer range the longer range models such as the GFS ECM etc dont handle precipitaion values and track as well as the euro4 and nmm, they are run at a much higher resolution, so probably best to wait until they update

But It worth saying that the gfs pushes things a little further east in my opinion, but not much change from the 12z

Posted

18Z is an upgrade on the 12z which is something but had it followed the 06z we would be saying definate downgrade. Still wants to push precip all the way through the midlands. Hopefully that doesnt happen and it stalls over us.